The Wild Eric

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

Just now, narniadis said:

I think @MovieMan89 is just bitter that Shades and the Rabbit are messing up his club :P

A little bitter over Rabbit yes, because those holds have been fucking ridiculous when Paddington 2 could  barely manage a 3.5x with such a low OW. Not bitter over Freed. PR already ruined the club regardless, and this is highly unnatural this weekend for Freed considering the trajectory it was on. Too obvious. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

That movie looks plain as hell. Some rich kid is struggling to come out to his uber-millennial buddies... that’s it.

I was really surprised when @WrathOfHan made his LS>TFIOS club because i could not tell you what on Earth was supposed to be the films hook in the trailers.

Wrong person :apocalypse: 

Although, I do have a new club:

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I'd hardly call it "obvious" when it's not going to make it past 101m even if no fudge is involved. 

Eh, we've talked since weekend 2 that it would be close but probably NOT be fudged and looks like we were right. At least there are no hijinks ala Sony to worry about. The film entered 2nd run status around me this weekend so that is probably part of it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I think the subject matter of Love Simon still isn't mainstream enough to lead to a high gross. I'm sure in many locations this movie didn't play well at all. That's why I roll my eyes when people say being gay is super accepted now. It really isn't. Like even my parents are proof of this lol. They are fairly liberal and are fairly homophobic. 

I disagree...you can be accepting without being interested...that's probably the state of all romance movies right now:)...

I mean, it's a rom com (or if it's not, it's been highly marketed that way:)...as we've all mentioned on these boards, rom coms have had a REALLY tough run the last few years.  Now, add in that it's a teen rom com.  Not a whole lot of 25+ flock to those movies...So, it already starts behind the 8 ball even for rom coms.

So, if you actually compare it to other rom coms from the last few years, Love Simon has a chance to do VERY well for the genre as the genre is currently performing.  That should be encouraging.

I mean, I get hoping that it would be a breakout rom com like the 90s/00s breakouts.  But that would be like the ICOI crowd hoping for a Passion breakout.  I mean, it COULD happen, but in the current state of those genres, it's INCREDIBLY unlikely to happen without the perfect timing, circumstance, and movie:)...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Eh, we've talked since weekend 2 that it would be close but probably NOT be fudged and looks like we were right. At least there are no hijinks ala Sony to worry about. The film entered 2nd run status around me this weekend so that is probably part of it.

Look at its entire run compared to Darker and look at the theater count and hold yesterday. How can you say there's no hijinks happening now? It is completely illogical with the rest of its run compared to Darker. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Look at its entire run compared to Darker and look at the theater count and hold yesterday. How can you say there's no hijinks happening now? It is completely illogical with the rest of its run compared to Darker. 

I think you are trying to hard to draw a conclusion about something that isn't applicable? Darker and Freed are two separate films - same series yes, but different films in different context of fields.

No one is denying that there is incentive for Universal to make the film get over the 100m BUT, it was going to happen without any extra effort just based on the play of the last 2 weeks alone.

You are trying to read the tea leaves and act as if Universal did something nefarious here - its puzzling to me. If anything compare the theater drops of ALL films this weekend and notice that for having 4 wide/semi-wide new releases the drops are rather light. The market is so dead right now (Panther aside) that it doesn't surprise me in the least that several films didn't have the 50% theater count drops they would have had in years past.

• Like 1

Listen I don't like but I do think that there is a reason why it will be a long, long time before we have an openly gay character solely leading a big budget mainstream blockbuster for instance. I still think that people are uncomfortable with the subject. Now something like Love, Simon with a low budget will be okay but bigger movies? If you think that Wonder Woman is going to have a girlfriend in her next movie you are delusional. WB ain't risking not getting a Russian and Chinese release. No studio will.

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

A little bitter over Rabbit yes, because those holds have been fucking ridiculous when Paddington 2 could  barely manage a 3.5x with such a low OW. Not bitter over Freed. PR already ruined the club regardless, and this is highly unnatural this weekend for Freed considering the trajectory it was on. Too obvious. 

No matter how strong Paddington's initial holds were theaters just couldn't keep it long when attendance was so low right out of the gate. If Paddington opened to 25m and PR to 11m they'd switch legs as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

No matter how strong Paddington's initial holds were theaters just couldn't keep it long when attendance was so low right out of the gate. If Paddington opened to 25m and PR to 11m they'd switch legs as well. 

Maybe you're right, but PR's holds have been so incredibly strong some of it simply has to be great WOM. Which is mind-boggling to me, but whatever. 

34 minutes ago, grim22 said:

And they are immediately forgotten about after the first act.

Immediately forgotten about after an act: the Dinobots' Bayformers acting careers in a nutshell. And thank God for that, because they got to be spared of Michael Bay's bullshit. The baby robots were kinda Bay bullshit, but at least that idea doesn't scratch the surface of the dirt worst. Seriously, when he can't even make a Prime vs. Bumblebee fight (at the end of The Last Knight) anything more than stupid, fugly visual noise, you know you've got an issue as a filmmaker.

Seriously, how hard can it be to do cool movies about sentient giant robots fighting each other? You don't even have to try that hard, cause there's a template that you can freely rip-off story ideas from (that of course being the cartoon). That, more than anything, is proof of how mishired (if that wasn't a word, it is now) Michael Bay was for the job, even accounting for the cool 1st movie. Almost anyone would do it better. Hell, I'm no big fan of Zack Snyder, but he would do sooooooo much better of a job shooting a Transformers movie than Bay.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I disagree...you can be accepting without being interested...that's probably the state of all romance movies right now:)...

I mean, it's a rom com (or if it's not, it's been highly marketed that way:)...as we've all mentioned on these boards, rom coms have had a REALLY tough run the last few years.  Now, add in that it's a teen rom com.  Not a whole lot of 25+ flock to those movies...So, it already starts behind the 8 ball even for rom coms.

I caught an early showing of LS today and I would say the crowd was maybe 60/40 under 25/over 25, perhaps even 55/45. The movie is attracting some adults, probably more than people expected with that RT score helping with that. My showing was heavily female and I think a few of them had seen it before based on chatter and reactions. A final gross north of $35M should be a given and I would not rule out $50M if female teens flock to it over spring break and adults show up like they did at my showing.