Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

Man, Disney’s IW might not beat Disney’s BP DOM after all.  Disney must be so embarrassed, just wait until Disney’s Solo, Disney’s Ant-Man 2, Disney’s Incredibles 2 and soon to be Disney’s Deadpool 2 all do even less DOM!

Disney is going under.

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

On 5/4/2018 at 3:45 PM, That One Guy said:

A couple days ago I thought 110M was a pretty reasonable prediction for Infinity War (and that was me being conservative).  The fact that it has a possibility of going lower just shows that it’s hard for an MCU film on as large of a scale as Infinity War to get great legs.  The low end is about on par with Civil War.

THIS POST WAS LAUGHED AT AND NOW I BET YOU GUYS WISH THIS WERE MAKING $110M FOR THE WEEKEND ahahahahahahahahah

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Man, Disney’s IW might not beat Disney’s BP DOM after all.  Disney must be so embarrassed, just wait until Disney’s Solo and soon to be Disney’s Deadpool 2 both do even less DOM!

Disney is going under.

Fortunately they cashed up with Wrinkle In Time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Record breaking weekend isn’t a point against with crumbling though. Crumbling is about the relative performance after the weekend. Like, Jumanji’s run was great, but if stapled Jumanji’s 2nd+ weeks onto IW’s first the resulting numbers would actually be an example of a movie crumbling.

Thanks, I had no idea what crumbling means.  

I always like to preface this stuff by saying that I'm not a box office wiz.  I make my share of mistakes predicting and such.  But forecasting the future for a film like this one is a different story.

Here's the thing.  Everyone, or many here were looking at IW as though it was TFA.  I'm not sure why.  History has indicated that the legs on many of the sequels are not kind.  There's a massive audience for Marvel but it's not like it's an infinite one.  There's not a lot of new fans that are going to come out and see the 19th Marvel film that haven't seen the other 18.  So why would you think this would have legs similar to TFA.

All I heard about this film is that it would open higher than TFA and you guys were right.  But that's where it ends.  Many of these same voices were then expecting mammoth legs, like TFA.  But why?  TFA is a beast that you just can't really explain except to say that it's SW.  A Marvel film, even one as great as this one, never stood a chance of getting anywhere near SW or a 3X for that matter.  

IW is not crumbling.  It's going to do a massive and ridiculous 100 million plus in the second weekend.  Do you know how many films have done more than 100 million in the second weekend?  Four.  This will be the fifth.  You can't look at the opening weekend and be disappointed in the second weekend.  This had so much up front demand for it because it is a sequel and it is a film that is 10 years in the making.  The fact that it will probably fall less than 60% off of the record opening weekend, is fantastic.  There are too many unrealistic expectations of it, especially since the last three Marvel sequels featuring Iron Man have had horrible legs.  If this gets to 2.6X, it's bigger than what many of us thought it would get to.  So instead of focusing on your unrealistic expectations of it, just look at it based on the other films and you'll see it's an amazing number.  

The gross is fine, it's what some of you thought it would do....that's the problem.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I know i said that it could have a huge Saturday increase but a part of me had a feeling that the saturday number could fall in the late 40s. But comparing it to BP and the Saturday increases of other mcu movies I let myself get too optimistic.

Edited by Belle

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

Someone check to see if Gitesh has his "my sources tell me that Infinity War is headed for a massive $46-$48M Saturday," tweet 

Nothing yet! Give it another 30 minutes or so!:hahaha::Venom:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Man, Disney’s IW might not beat Disney’s BP DOM after all.  Disney must be so embarrassed, just wait until Disney’s Solo, Disney’s Ant-Man 2, Disney’s Incredibles 2 and soon to be Disney’s Deadpool 2 all do even less DOM!

Disney is going under.

Disney to be purchased by WB soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

THIS POST WAS LAUGHED AT AND NOW I BET YOU GUYS WISH THIS WERE MAKING $110M FOR THE WEEKEND ahahahahahahahahah

It's not going to end with a 2.3X.  Let's not get carried away.  It'll be at 446 minimum by the end of the weekend.  That means it needs just 140 million to get past the multiplier of Civil War.  I think that's pretty much locked.  I think a more reasonable number is 2.4X at the very minimum.

Just now, baumer said:

It's not going to end with a 2.3X.  Let's not get carried away.  It'll be at 446 minimum by the end of the weekend.  That means it needs just 140 million to get past the multiplier of Civil War.  I think that's pretty much locked.  I think a more reasonable number is 2.4X at the very minimum.

I'm not saying it'll only end with a 2.3, I was referring to my weekend prediction

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

For some perspective, the lower end of that range is still in the top 25 Saturdays of all time. It's a big number!

Since we're memeing tho

DearCrispCivet-size_restricted.gif

Sloppy work.  If you smooth the gif out, make the quality less poor and whatnot, then I will give you a like

Edited by That One Guy

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I'm not saying it'll only end with a 2.3, I was referring to my weekend prediction

Sorry.  My bad.