Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

Thanks, I had no idea what crumbling means.  

I always like to preface this stuff by saying that I'm not a box office wiz.  I make my share of mistakes predicting and such.  But forecasting the future for a film like this one is a different story.

Here's the thing.  Everyone, or many here were looking at IW as though it was TFA.  I'm not sure why.  History has indicated that the legs on many of the sequels are not kind.  There's a massive audience for Marvel but it's not like it's an infinite one.  There's not a lot of new fans that are going to come out and see the 19th Marvel film that haven't seen the other 18.  So why would you think this would have legs similar to TFA.

All I heard about this film is that it would open higher than TFA and you guys were right.  But that's where it ends.  Many of these same voices were then expecting mammoth legs, like TFA.  But why?  TFA is a beast that you just can't really explain except to say that it's SW.  A Marvel film, even one as great as this one, never stood a chance of getting anywhere near SW or a 3X for that matter.  

IW is not crumbling.  It's going to do a massive and ridiculous 100 million plus in the second weekend.  Do you know how many films have done more than 100 million in the second weekend?  Four.  This will be the fifth.  You can't look at the opening weekend and be disappointed in the second weekend.  This had so much up front demand for it because it is a sequel and it is a film that is 10 years in the making.  The fact that it will probably fall less than 60% off of the record opening weekend, is fantastic.  There are too many unrealistic expectations of it, especially since the last three Marvel sequels featuring Iron Man have had horrible legs.  If this gets to 2.6X, it's bigger than what many of us thought it would get to.  So instead of focusing on your unrealistic expectations of it, just look at it based on the other films and you'll see it's an amazing number.  

The gross is fine, it's what some of you thought it would do....that's the problem.

People often build up ridiculously high expectations in their own heads that would put fanboys to shame, and then turn around and slam films for not making money that was never on the table. It happens again and again. The games play a part in the over-estimation of weekend numbers, of course. But you'd think that after so many times folks would pump the brakes a bit and be more realistic. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2b locked they said... avatar dom in trouble they said.. titanic dom in trouble they said

I've got to be honest a fell for your guys hype, don't get me worried like that again unless youre 100%

Off back to sleep, going to sleep like a baby

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, KJsooner said:

This place cracks me up. Infinity War is going to sail past 600 mil, and people are melting down on here. Debbie downers

But we're looking at all time top 5 DOM and WW, not top 3.

I mean, two movies cracking top 5 in three months is kind of lame.

It literally happens once every 100 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

2b locked they said... avatar dom in trouble they said.. titanic dom in trouble they said

I'm got to be honest a fell for your guys hype, don't get me worried like that again unless youre 100%

Only one of those three things is probably not happening, but sweet dreams! 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Bring back Joss Whedon to fix Avengers 4 maybe with some reshoots. Cause nobody has ever tried that before and failed.

And at 618.5 dom it will have beaten AOU's legs despite being it's sequel and putting in much bigger numbers.

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm got to be honest a fell for your guys hype, don't get me worried like that again unless youre 100%

Off back to sleep, going to sleep like a baby .

Fify

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Well at least we got an early number from RTH. Sometimes we have to wait for Deadline extremely late in the evening. 

Yeah but at least DL is just throwing darts at numbers half the time so there's always hope. Unlike with rth, where hope live or dies with one fell post. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Titanic dom is still in danger.

Don't get carried away, buddy. :sparta:

• Like 4