baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

3 hours ago, Nova said:

No. Solo would have to collapse like no other and DP2 would have to be on steroids. 

But if DP2 gets a good hold next weekend, I can see it overtaking Solo next weekend if that drops again. But this is all ifs and what not. Depends on how good the films hold on this week. Also depends on how many theaters DP2 will lose with O8 going into over 4,000 theaters 

Solo is much more family friendly so it will certainly have a much better Saturday than DP2.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Hopefully the it expands well the next few weeks. FWIW I've actually seen ads for it on TV (unlike Hereditary lmao ouch).

Hereditary is doing online marketing for sure, it's not the kind of film that really needs TV ads to air

1 minute ago, PPZVGOS said:

I think Disney were aware from quite early on that TLJ was a pile of garbage. For this reason they rushed to bring JJ back for Ep 9. So, I would expect that EP 9 will be quite different in tone and content in relation to the atrocity that was Ep 8. 

But ultimately, you are right, the damage done by TLJ (both in terms of enraging the fan-base as well as in terms of the overall story-line) is so immense, that fixing it will be tough, if not outright impossible. 

Rrally? It seemed they thought it was going to be overwhelmingly loved since they have Johnson a trilogy before it came out 

Edited by John Marston

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Hereditary is doing online marketing for sure, it's not the kind of film that really needs TV ads to air

Hereditary had the best kind of marketing already:

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/australian-theater-hereditary-trailer-peter-rabbit-families-freak-out-1201957530/

Australian Movie Theater Plays ‘Hereditary’ Trailer Before ‘Peter Rabbit,’ Families Panic and Flee the Cinema

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't care what the reasons are, TLJ made 1.3 billion.  People talk about nostalgia like its a bad thing.  SW built its name up over 40 years and has a loyal fanbase.  We are at 10 movies now for SW and Solo will the be first bomb.  How many franchises get to ten movies besides Marvel?  

We've discussed the reasons ad nauseum as to why Solo failed.  Disney has a lot of work to do to fix the next episode.  But it's not hard to fix.....imo.  They just have to have the balls to do it right.

Tlj made 1.3 billion because of TFa and Luke hype 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Solo is much more family friendly so it will certainly have a much better Saturday than DP2.  

Yup. Like I said. Solo would have to collapse like no other lol It's not happening. 

Next weekend though......:ph34r: But let's not get ahead of ourselves 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Hereditary had the best kind of marketing already:

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/australian-theater-hereditary-trailer-peter-rabbit-families-freak-out-1201957530/

Australian Movie Theater Plays ‘Hereditary’ Trailer Before ‘Peter Rabbit,’ Families Panic and Flee the Cinema

STOP 

:hahaha:

This reminds me of when Finding Dory was out and a theater played some R-rated flick instead 

32 minutes ago, baumer said:

If this is sarcasm, fine, but Disney has made huge money from SW since they bought it.  In fact, every film they have released has made a billion or more.  Solo bombing is a massive disappointment but Disney has made money hands over fist with their first three films.  4.3 billion to be exact.  They'll figure out what they did wrong and they will fix it for E9.  I have no doubts about this.  

Why are you acting as if the studio gets all the bo grosses? For other films this forum searches the budgets to the last penny so I don’t think that Disney has actually profited more than 1 billion from all the Star Wars movies it has released, at least from their theater runs (don’t know/care about toys e.t,c) and if you subtract the money they will loose from solo , this amount becomes smaller. I mean it’s half of 4.3 billion minus the production+marketing budgets of these films.

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Rrally? It seemed they thought it was going to be overwhelmingly loved since they have Johnson a trilogy before it came out 

Yeah it was true it blindness about TLJ which was the most surprsing thing and also the way they doubled down on it referring to all the critics as racist or sexist or whatever was misguided to say the least

Just now, Nova said:

STOP 

:hahaha:

This reminds me of when Finding Dory was out and a theater played some R-rated flick instead 

That was Sausage Party. Good times.

You know how you fix E9?  bring Luke back.  That's it.  No one said he was dead.  Then he has his final confrontation with Kylo.  Then you answer the questions from part 7, like why Maz had Luke's sabre from Empire strikes Back.  You give a better reason as to why Rey is not just strong with the force but downright God like.  You get Meryl Streep to play Leia.  You get into more backstory about the Knights of Ren.  Basically you undo all the bullshit that Johnson did in TLJ.

There, I said it.  

And now I'll go hybernate while you guys tear me to shreds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 3

3 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Why are you acting as if the studio gets all the bo grosses? For other films this forum searches the budgets to the last penny so I don’t think that Disney has actually profited more than 1 billion from all the Star Wars movies it has released, at least from their theater runs (don’t know/care about toys e.t,c) and if you subtract the money they will loose from solo , this amount becomes smaller. I mean it’s half of 4.3 billion minus the production+marketing budgets of these films.

You can't be serious about this.  

Sorry bro, not going to respond to this in any kind of way.  You go on and think whatever you want to think.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

You know how you fix E9?  bring Luke back.  That's it.  No one said he was dead.  Then he has his final confrontation with Kylo.  Then you answer the questions from part 7, like why Maz had Luke's sabre from Empire strikes Back.  You give a better reason as to why Rey is not just strong with the force but downright God like.  You get Meryl Streep to play Leia.  You get into more backstory about the Knights of Ren.  Basically you undo all the bullshit that Johnson did in TLJ.

There, I said it.  

I like all of that soft reboot push TLJ aside then fire Rian Johnson from that trilogy 

Edited by boomboom234

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Tlj made 1.3 billion because of TFa and Luke hype 

Yea....and?

The only part of that sentence that means anything is that TLJ made 1.3 billion.

No way Disney thought TLJ would be as divisive as it was. Otherwise they wouldn't have greenlit the Rian Johnson trilogy. They got JJ Abrams for Episode IX because frankly the options for that film after Trevorrow was fired were quite small. 

Episode IX can still do very well Domestic (more than TLJ is achievable). Overseas ship has sailed though. 

• Like 1

There, I said it.  

This is the only thing I'm interested in for the next episode. They just brushed past the whole Luke almost killing his nephew part. Should've built up to that moment instead of telling us Luke sensed the evil inside Kylo.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

There, I said it.  

The funny thing about TLJ is that i completely understand where you're coming from. Most of the criticism for the movie arent about its technical qualitys, but the story that was told (and how it was told), as well as the characters. With that said, i disagree with you and i dont think the story needs to be "fixed". Its a really weird movie in the sense that both the people that liked and disliked it name mostly the same points - and use the same arguments in a positive or negative manner. That is why i think the TLJ debate wont ever come to an end, unfortunately (though that is also dependant on Episode IX ofc). And that is all i want to say since i dont want this thread to turn in that direction again.

• Like 1

When someone says "you have to add in marketing" and then says "But I don't care about video or toy revenue" you know they're not serious about trying to figure out how much a movie made or lost.

Let's be honest- Almost no one on this site makes any effort to understand the real profit/loss of films. It's all about "my favorite franchise rulez, all other franchises drool!!!!"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yea....and?

The only part of that sentence that means anything is that TLJ made 1.3 billion.

Sure but the film was still a disappointment it should and could have done more hell even on this forum everyone was saying 750 as the floor ost OW and it did less than TA, the franchise is trending down

• Like 1