baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

5 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

I haven't seen people spam "Stop beating a dead horse, Solo bombed move on" and mods closing every thread and banning everyone who dares to say something negative about Star Wars. 

I wonder why only one of these declining franchises gets this treatment. 

Difference is SW fanbase (which is fragmented like hell) isn't fueled by a persecution complex. 

12 minutes ago, RRA said:

These talks about budgets confirms another wrinkles that the current SW movies are indeed the new DCEU when we're debating how much they really cost and thus how much profit (or loss) they made. 

No the fuck it doesn't.  Star Wars has had one single spin off movie that hasn't done well.  The other movie online nerds keep bitching about was the most profitable movie released in 2017.  The 2 movies before that were insanely profitable and highly reviewed.  

The only thing similar to the DCEU is dumbfuck trolls that have invaded and taken over ruining shit for everyone.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's because they're made by the most careless studio by a mile when it comes to budgets. Disney has no concept of budget control and how to be smart with money on their films. They figure they don't need to because they have so much profit flowing in every year from so many sources that the one or two megabombs a year don't matter to them. Of course, as I've argued, this time the megabomb matters because it's coming from the franchise that's never supposed to fail. 

This is a ridiculous statement.   Have you see some of the recent big budget bombs and overspends by WB, Paramount, Sony, Lionsgate and Universal?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

say what you want about George Lucas but he did a great job keeping the budgets under control despite the numerous special effects (the prequels cost 115m for the first two and 113m for ROTS which even at the time were not some of the most expensive movies ever). The new Star Wars movie honestly don't look that impressive considering the obscene amount of money spent on them 

Probably easier to keep to cost lower for independant movies than studio ones, not being a studio production probably open some possible price reducing options. With a Lucas not necessarily charging for is writng/producing/directing fee like he would have to a studio and possibly ILM not charging them the same way a studio SFX division charge stuff to the movie division.

But yeah a 110m Phantom Menace (around 165m today) do look good with the scope of it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Batman vs Superman made a profit though. Hard to believe if the production budget alone was 400m 

Some people on here would have you believe that NO DCU film made a profit. BvS had terribly disappointing numbers but I find it hard to believe that it didn't make a profit. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Some people on here would have you believe that NO DCU film made a profit. BvS had terribly disappointing numbers but I find it hard to believe that it didn't make a profit. 

I've read from Deadline I think it made over 100m in profit. Not amazing but still pretty good

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

So that BC rumor was off by $200-400m or 20-40%.  "Some truth" is a rather generous statement. :lol:

well if both movies cost (using the IW budget as we know it) 400 at upper range of known reports, that's 800 million and nothing has been said about marketing costs. 

These movies are sure expensive.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Top 3 most exhausting conversations on this forum:

1. Last Jedi

2. Solo's budget

3. Literally anything else related to Star Wars that causes at least 10 pages of "discussion"

I'm shocked that Solo's budget and The Last Jedi are being talked about when a Star Wars movie is in theaters and currently making shitting horrible numbers. I am shocked I tell you

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

No the fuck it doesn't.  Star Wars has had one single spin off movie that hasn't done well.  The other movie online nerds keep bitching about was the most profitable movie released in 2017.  The 2 movies before that were insanely profitable and highly reviewed.  

The only thing similar to the DCEU is dumbfuck trolls that have invaded and taken over ruining shit for everyone.  

DCEU = one financial dud (JL)

Disney SW = one financial dud (Solo)

:sparta:

Just now, John Marston said:

I've read from Deadline I think it made over 100m in profit. Not amazing but still pretty good

Definitely not what they were expecting even on the low end. Lets face, that film was their wannabe billion plus dollar baby.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's because they're made by the most careless studio by a mile when it comes to budgets. Disney has no concept of budget control and how to be smart with money on their films.

Disney is a studio that still hurt is Marvel movies with product placement in them even if they make billions...They tend to feel really cheap in many ways (or responsible). Marvel is probably an extreme example, because of Ike extreme cheapness legacy, but the people that gain those giant budget at Disney often earned it (Pixar people, Star Wars, Pirates, etc...) and not reckless at all.

210-225 Dom + 155-165 OS-J + 20-25 J = 385-415 is what Solo is staring at imo. 250 prod budget or 300 or 300+ or whatever - any hint of defense for the movie's bo is widely misplaced. defend the quality all you must if you liked the movie and that is fair game. we temper our expectations after early surprises/shocks (be it for an under-performance or an over-performance) and then the spin starts.

good opposite example is Aiw - some people were left dissatisfied when 700 got ruled out and it was "only" looking at ~2.6 multi. Not to mention the absurd "but won't reach 2B" digs (they didn't come to pass anyway but absurd even if the movie's run ended at 1.8).

Edited by A2k Rex

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Your denial knows no bounds if you really believe Solo isn't an extremely similar situation as JL. JL is too flattering of a comparison to Solo's performance at this point. You're also sadly mistaken if you think the future of SW can be corrected anywhere near as easily as DCEU can be. Basically at this point you're covering your ears and screaming "I don't want to hear it" if you can't see how widespread the disenchantment with the franchise is. Accept you were wrong to generalize your opinion about TLJ onto the GA and move on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Your denial knows no bounds if you really believe Solo isn't an extremely similar situation as JL. JL is too flattering of a comparison to Solo's performance at this point. You're also sadly mistaken if you think the future of SW can be corrected anywhere near as easily as DCEU can be. Basically at this point you're covering your ears and screaming "I don't want to hear it" if you can't see how widespread the disenchantment with the franchise is. Accept you were wrong to generalize your opinion about TLJ onto the GA and move on. 

Justice League will make more money internationally than Solo will make worldwide. It's actually too kind to compare it to JL anymore 

Star Wars is in a much better position than WB's comic book movie universe I don't deny that but The Last Jedi's good reviews doesn't change the fact that it had mixed word of mouth and not just from the obnoxious nerds. If one doesn't think that Episode 9 has a chance of going below a billion one hasn't been paying attention.

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Reminds me of in a recent weekend thread when people wanted me to admit the DCEU movies pre-JL were hits, which I found silly. They were on paper. But they didn't make the money WB expected and well, consequences happened. I had trouble making some folks understand that concept. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

None of what you're going on about has to do with monetary facts,

TFA + RO + TLJ - SOLO >>>>>>>> BvS + SS + WW - JL

These franchises are not monetarily equatable.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

I haven't seen people spam "Stop beating a dead horse, Solo bombed move on" and mods closing every thread and banning everyone who dares to say something negative about Star Wars. 

I wonder why only one of these declining franchises gets this treatment. 

Yup, it's one thing if it was September and this kept getting brought up but the movie is in theaters right now. So it is to be expected no matter how much it makes you feel upset