baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

For me it wasn't dark so much as an ugly murky color.  I gathered it was to show how horrid Han's home planet and environment was but it went on too long.

It lasted all the way until the snow planet, things only stopped looking drab when we got onto Paul Bettany's ship.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I know people are mixed on Solo (I really dig it tho) but Rogue One and TLJ are straight up beautiful.

this is a straight up lie and you know it. tlj has a couple of very stunning moments but other than that the VAST majority of the film is extremely drab, flipping back and forth between ugly grey ahch-to and ugly grey resistance ship interiors. that being said rogue one is GORGEOUS. tfa is also quite beautiful, it doesn't do anything very unique but it does what it does WELL

• Disbelief 1

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

Now a day they seem to accept more and more to let go of the first dollar gross and accept participation of what they call the CB-0 (a pool of all revenues made after a pre-determined break even point formula), even Tom Hanks accepted that on Inferno and they were pushing it on Denzel of all people on Magnificent 7.

With the example of the Sony leak, they seem to usually get around 50% of the revenues splitted among them, when Will Smith is alone on Concussion is bonus hit 50% of the revenues after a certain point, when they are a group like American Hustle or Mag 7 they split.

Using Magnificant 7 for an example, instead of having Washington getting 15% of the revenues, Fuqua 5% and Birnbaum 5% they preferred transferring them to a 50% of the "profits" instead, reducing risk greatly.

the studio can use smart accounting to make the profits smaller to prevent big payouts, can't they? they may not do that to burn bridges with the actors i guess. peter jackson took newline to court based on something similar.

2 minutes ago, water said:

this is a straight up lie and you know it. tlj has a couple of very stunning moments but other than that the VAST majority of the film is extremely drab, flipping back and forth between ugly grey ahch-to and ugly grey resistance ship interiors. that being said rogue one is GORGEOUS. tfa is also quite beautiful, it doesn't do anything very unique but it does what it does WELL

Apparently I don't know it. I love how all of TLJ looks. Ahch-To is straight up one the most beautiful places in the entire saga.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

The first 30 minutes of Solo were so dark it was almost unwatchable.  I was like, "Did you cut down your reshoot budget but NOT hiring back the DOP?"

It was honestly so dark for 90% of the movie I could barely see what was going on... and the action was very dull. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Apparently I don't know it. I love how all of TLJ looks. Ahch-To is straight up one the most beautiful places in the entire saga.

praying for you

46 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Huge rebates from Georgia and shooting them back to back kept the costs relatively down.   AIW  is reported as anywhere from $319-400m

Not sure if RDJ get a back end % on both or a flat fee with possible bonuses (like the others get) under a new extended contracts

Officially they're saying IW cost $321m, which is rather astonishing for this movie, but as noted, did not have the usual reshoots due to A4 filming at the same time. So A4 may have a slightly higher split of the costs. Either way, filming together probably saved them a ton of money.

I mean, not that it really matters now with how much its going to profit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

It was honestly so dark for 90% of the movie I could barely see what was going on... and the action was very dull. 

90%?  That's a theater lighting issue then.  They don't want to burn out the projection bulb too soon so they skimp on using it.

I liked the train heist and the Kessel run sequences quite a bit.

Edited by TalismanRing

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

90%?  That's a theater lighting issue then.  They don't want to burn out the projection bulb too soon so them skimp on using it.

Everything on Kessel was dark as fuck.

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

90%?  That's a theater lighting issue then.  They don't want to burn out the projection bulb too soon so them skimp on using it.

Yea it wasn't 90% for me. It was roughly the first 30 minutes and I think as you stated it was to show how ugly his home was but I got the picture after about 5 minutes :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Officially they're saying IW cost $321m, which is rather astonishing for this movie, but as noted, did not have the usual reshoots due to A4 filming at the same time. So A4 may have a slightly higher split of the costs. Either way, filming together probably saved them a ton of money.

I mean, not that it really matters now with how much its going to profit.

They also seem to have cut down on and maybe combined location filming.   

AOU filmed in Italy and SK as well as the more expensive UK (even with a rebate) for primary filming.

AIW I believe only had main location filming in Scotland.  But after Scotland they film for a bit in the England.  I wonder if that was for Avengers 4.

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm actually gonna watch Rogue One again tonight. It's my favorite Star Wars movie from the new ones that have come out. I hope I still love it as much as I did when it came out 

:puke:

• Like 1

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

Most people on here took JL budget "reports"  as facts so why not Solo? Either these sources are reliable or they aren't... 

I'm pretty sure both movies cost even more than their reports suggest but yeah, there's no argument Solo is losing money lol

1 hour ago, baumer said:

How much do you guys think each IW costs? Those two films are going to cost close to a billion dollars once you get Robert Downey Junior's back-end deal handed out.

And they will probably bring over 2 billion to Disney just from the box office without taking into account other revenue streams (that are usually being used as bonuses for movies that have flopped).