Solo: +62.3%

DP2: +64.7%

IW: +63.9%

Adrift: +60%

Book Club: +20.7%

Upgrade: +18%

LOTP: +66.6%

Summer is here, folks.

sunday drops could be closer to 25% than 30%.

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

OW in 40s should be expected range, Oceans 11 even adjusts to 293m

unless it was awful 200m should have been the goal domestic

Lol no

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

That's what I guessed. Some here said it was breaking out for sure? But I didn't see the signs beyond that. Maybe it will do better tomorrow.

I thought to have the type of numbers some were predicting it would need to do a lot better than what it's doing on RT

It did break out compared to industry (Variety, THR) tracking. Cost $70m. A win. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Lol no

It did break out compared to industry (Variety, THR) tracking. Cost $70m. A win. 

I guess I misunderstood the term breaking out then when it comes to this film. I thought that meant numbers that were a lot higher. Like a must see experience that everyone is talking about.

I've seen more discussion for Hereditary so far.

Ocean's number is fine. As long as it has legs and does okay overseas it should be fine.  People keep trying to turn certain movies into flops while constantly defending actual flops. Hereditary's opening is good but it will have crap legs because people enjoy more easy to swallow fair. I don't mean that in an "I'm better than people" way but it's true. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I guess I misunderstood the term breaking out then when it comes to this film. I thought that meant numbers that were a lot higher. Like a must see experience that everyone is talking about.

I've seen more discussion for Hereditary so far.

Industry tracking was initially $30-35m then upped to $33-38m this week and it still beat expectations.

”those people” will try, but Oceans 8 is nowhere near a flop or even a disappointment. It’s actually a hit. 

• Like 1

Beating GB16 and doing 130-140 should have been achievable by O8, maybe still is. Prod budget is only 70 so doesn't need those big numbers but looking at the tickets sold by O11,12,13 and the appreciation for the franchise, less than GB16 will be a personal disappointment. With biggish previews, I2 and JW2 next 2 weeks I don't think O8 can do much better than 3x multiplier even as an older audience helps it have legs. 42*3 = 126, a couple below GB16's 128+ dom looks like the target atm.

Edited by A2k Rex
thought bullock was in O12/13

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Ocean's number is fine. As long as it has legs and does okay overseas it should be fine.  People keep trying to turn certain movies into flops while constantly defending actual flops. Hereditary's opening is good but it will have crap legs because people enjoy more easy to swallow fair. I don't mean that in an "I'm better than people" way but it's true. 

Sorry, I wasn't calling it a flop (if you were referring to me). I just thought it was going to do what the numbers are showing so far. The trailers never racked up a ton of views and made it a huge event or anything.

Breaking out to me would be a lot higher.

I'm sure the legs will be decent but it does have a lot of competition coming up.

And yeah looks like the GA didn't like Hereditary as much with a D+ cinemascore.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

I can't help but to notice the similarities between Ocean 8 and Ghostbuster.

Both are derivative of man-led assemble trilogy, by a all-female led cast.

Both were under attack by whatever group it is. 

Both are close in RT score....

And, now even their cinemascore are the same at B+ 

their opening weekend, will likely fall in the range 40m.....

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Industry tracking was initially $30-35m then upped to $33-38m this week and it still beat expectations.

”those people” will try, but Oceans 8 is nowhere near a flop or even a disappointment. It’s actually a hit. 

I always thought it would come in around the 30s or mid 40s.

Not calling it a flop but don't think it's a breakout either. That's what I would consider like IT or Deadpool or American Sniper or The Revenant. Something unexpected going off.

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I can't help but to notice the similarities between Ocean 8 and Ghostbuster.

Both are derivative of man-led assemble trilogy, by a all-female led cast.

Both were under attack by whatever group it is. 

Both are close in RT score....

And, now even their cinemascore are the same at B+ 

their opening weekend, will likely fall in the range 40m.....

Two completely different films. No interest in either but the trailers could have sold me on this. They just looked dull though. Nothing to do with the cast. The marketing reminded me of something that would come out in late August or September.

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I always thought it would come in around the 30s or mid 40s.

Not calling it a flop but don't think it's a breakout either. That's what I would consider like IT or Deadpool or American Sniper or The Revenant. Something unexpected going off.

There was never any indication of that happening, for a spin off 4th entry franchise film? That’s silly. 

I just don't see how Oceans numbers are controversial one way or the other. If it has bad legs we'll talk but right now it's about an expected opening for the type of film that it is. 

Anyway Deadpool 2 is still chugging along and Solo is doing completely expected numbers. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

There was never any indication of that happening, for a spin off 4th entry franchise film? That’s silly. 

The movies @somebody85 listed were never expected to go off the way they did either lol That's why they're called breakouts. Because it's unexpected. If it was expected, no one would call them that. 

I have to say that I do agree that Ocean's 8 is not a breakout. It opened where a lot of folks were expecting it too. There were plenty of users who expected it to open to $40M or so and several sites who had it at $40M or so too (Deadline, box office pro, THR). That's not bad. It hit its tracking which can't be said for a lot of films lately lol 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

By the way some people were talking here, I thought that's what they meant. "Breaking out for sure"....that usually means way above tracking to me but I guess I misread in this case.

So Deadpool 2 will hit 300m after all? I knew people were overreacting to its second weekend drop. Look what happened to Spider-Man: Homecoming.

A drop right around 50% would actually be okay-ish for Solo, but it won't change the movie's fate as a gigantic disappointment.

Solid number for Ocean's 8. Should ultimately beat O12 and O13's totals.

Edited by miketheavenger
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I just don't see how Oceans numbers are controversial one way or the other. If it has bad legs we'll talk but right now it's about an expected opening for the type of film that it is. 

agree. some predictions before thu:

the-numbers 40+

Mojo 45

Pro.BO 41

Deadline

Warner Bros. is estimating low to mid-$30 millions, which is around what the Steven Soderbergh-directed George Clooney-Brad Pitt trilogy saw in those openings, ranging from $36M-$39M. More aggressive estimates for the reported $70M Village Roadshow co-production are above $40M, but forecasting has been so wonky lately it pays to be conservative.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

agree. some predictions before thu:

the-numbers 40+

Mojo 45

Pro.BO 41

Deadline

Forecasting being wonky means that "we haven't adjusted to the fact that less people are going to the theaters and we ignore obvious potential hindrances to certain projects."