chasmmi

BOT's Top 100 Movie Characters ... Absolute Final Deadline August 4th. Do not be late

Can I count Pokémon that made their debut in a movie as a movie character?

This would make

Donphan

Lugia

Slowking

Latias

Latios

Munchlax

Lucario

Bonsly

Weavile

Mime Jr

Manaphy

Manatyke

Buizel

Chatot

Zorua

Zoroark

Woobat

and Magearna

all eligible because they debuted in movies (one of which had a US theatrical release, the rest all had Japanese theatrical releases)

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

I’m also wondering what separates a cinematic universe from a really big franchise?

Would you count a cinematic universe anything with spin-off like films that diverge from the main series?  I could see Harry Potter/Star Wars for example being cinematic universes as Star Wars has the episodes and Star Wars Story movies and HP has the main films and fantastic beasts.

(And I guess Middle Earth as another example has LOTR and Hobbit)

But then again, should Middle Earth and HP characters even count as movie characters because they were book characters first? (Just basing this on the fact that we aren’t counting TV-to-Movie characters like Kirk)

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

Can I count Pokémon that made their debut in a movie as a movie character?

This would make

Donphan

Lugia

Slowking

Latias

Latios

Munchlax

Lucario

Bonsly

Weavile

Mime Jr

Manaphy

Manatyke

Buizel

Chatot

Zorua

Zoroark

Woobat

and Magearna

all eligible because they debuted in movies (one of which had a US theatrical release, the rest all had Japanese theatrical releases)

I was seriously considering having every non-Cameron character in my list be a Pokemon. 

• Astonished 1

On 7/3/2018 at 9:03 AM, Pandamia! said:

But then again, should Middle Earth and HP characters even count as movie characters because they were book characters first? (Just basing this on the fact that we aren’t counting TV-to-Movie characters like Kirk)

With book characters the actor is putting their own spin on character from another medium. Same as Film adaptations of TV Shows. 

Only the same actor going to he big screen is not okay, Because Shatner for example had what 47 hours of screen time to build his character before the first film came out. That is not a film character, that is a TV character in a film. 

Chris Pine as Kirk however is fair game. He has only been in the films and thus is a newly re-imagined character for a film. It's up to everyone here to decide if being too similar/dissimilar to the Shatner version or whatever is a good or bad thing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

With book characters the actor is putting their own spin on character from another medium. Same as Film adaptations of TV Shows. 

Only the same actor going to he big screen is not okay, Because Shatner for example had what 47 hours of screen time to build his character before the first film came out. That is not a film character, that is a TV character in a film. 

Chris Pine as Kirk however is fair game. He has only been in the films and thus is a newly re-imagined character for a film. It's up to everyone here to decide if being too similar/dissimilar to the Shatner version or whatever is a good or bad thing. 

That’s fair, so for reference if I want to put a character like James Bond, Spider-Man or Dumbledore I need to state which version then? 

Im curious, especially since I reckon I’d include a few characters who’ve been played by different actors.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

That’s fair, so for reference if I want to put a character like James Bond, Spider-Man or Dumbledore I need to state which version then? 

Im curious, especially since I reckon I’d include a few characters who’ve been played by different actors.

Yes state the actor. 

You could theoretically vote for Bond like 4 times if you wanted to. But you cannot vote for the same guy playing the same character twice. 

So Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader can get what 3 different Votes.

Luke Skywalker can only be voted for once as its always been Hamill. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Yes state the actor. 

You could theoretically vote for Bond like 4 times if you wanted to. But you cannot vote for the same guy playing the same character twice. 

That sounds like way too easy to create a tangled mess.

Anakin/Darth Vader is a single character through a consistent canon. He is one character, not three. You can't separate Jake Lloyd or Hayden from JEJ, it is the same role in the same narrative.

Same thing with, for example, Martin Freeman/Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins. One character in one narrative.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Anakin/Darth Vader is a single character through a consistent canon. He is one character, not three. You can't separate Jake Lloyd or Hayden from JEJ, it is the same role in the same narrative.

Same thing with, for example, Martin Freeman/Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins. One character in one narrative.

I agree with this - we're not looking for the best movie acting of a character.  I saw this poll as being the most iconic movie characters of all time (regardless of actor).  So, James Bond is one character (now if you wanna mention who was the most awesome James Bond performer, do it).  Now, I, myself, am going to only choose those characters who were greatly performed by people (so, I'm ignoring monsters with no dialogue and I'm ignoring animated characters, since they are only voice performed by actors), but I am also choosing iconic.

To those picking 100 Pokemon...I mean, other than Pikachu, does your mom even know who they are?  I think my guiding principle will be "Can my mom, me, and my kids all envision who this character is?"  If the answer is no, I'm betting it's not a top 100 character...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, baumer said:

Why would you guys pick Pokemon in the first place?  Iconic movie character?  According to who?  

Idk, this scene got me good when I was a kid

f7712f58d74d0eb5abb12ffc908f1b3f981d2175

Pretty iconic duo right there

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Why would you guys pick Pokemon in the first place?  Iconic movie character?  According to who?  

So is this about who's best or who's most iconic? Cause the latter is a hell of a lot more boring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

So is this about who's best or who's most iconic? Cause the latter is a hell of a lot more boring. 

For it to be "top", doesn't the answer have to be "both"?  A nobody character can't be top 100 (I mean, we have over 100 years of cinema, so you're looking at 1 character per year that way:), and neither can a crappy one...you're looking to combine the best of both...

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I think I didn't write that properly.  Yes, this is the best according to us, the members.  I will certainly have characters on my list that perhaps not many have heard of.  I meant to say that having one character from Pokemon is okay, but 10?  Isn't that kind of over-doing it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

For it to be "top", doesn't the answer have to be "both"?  A nobody character can't be top 100 (I mean, we have over 100 years of cinema, so you're looking at 1 character per year that way:), and neither can a crappy one...you're looking to combine the best of both...

I don't see why. A character not being iconic doesn't mean they're a "nobody". I haven't thought too much about my top 10 yet, but it'll probably include characters like Clive Candy from The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Evelyn Mulwray from Chinatown, Esther Blodgett from A Star Is Born '54 - why, because they're all phenomenally written and acted and I don't care at all that they aren't as well-known as Indiana Jones or whoever. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I don't see why. A character not being iconic doesn't mean they're a "nobody". I haven't thought too much about my top 10 yet, but it'll probably include characters like Clive Candy from The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Evelyn Mulwray from Chinatown, Esther Blodgett from A Star Is Born '54 - why, because they're all phenomenally written and acted and I don't care at all that they aren't as well-known as Indiana Jones or whoever. 

I agree with this.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, chasmmi said:

Yes state the actor. 

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:06 AM, 4815162342 said:

my top 5 would be a mess then.  #1-#5 Star Wars characters.  #6-#100 non-Star Wars characters.  this might be too much for me to handle!