Alli

Tuesday Numbers | Incredibles 2 ~ 27M

dang...i2 crushed dory but jw2 won't (using pro.BO's forecast)? if i2's and jw2's OWs were swapped everything would be normal. but bo is never normal. it's more unpredictable than the stock market. hoping jw2 still sails past 140-145...

Edited by a2k

57 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I think people are underestimating I2's 2nd weekend effect on JW2 :ph34r:

When was the last time a movie opened to 130M-140M while another movie was making 90M-100M in its second weekend?

Pretty much never. Which is why I'm super fascinated by how this weekend will turn out. I think it could be a shocker. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RealLyre said:

I think people are underestimating I2's 2nd weekend effect on JW2 :ph34r:

When was the last time a movie opened to 130M-140M while another movie was making 90M-100M in its second weekend?

Well, big blockbusters rarely open that close to each other in the first place. And numbers that large are more of a recent thing anyway, as there are only six 90m+ second weekends, of which only one came before 2015. 130-140m openers haven't exactly been the norm for a long time either. Older weekends of similar size attendence-wise probably existed before, but in terms of money you obviously won't find any.

If you take the much larger ticket prices, 3D, IMAX and all that stuff into account, then you probably could make a case for the Shrek 3 POTC 3 double-punch on Memorial Weekend 2007 fitting this scenario. You can certainly make the case that those two hurt each other, but it also shows that it shouldn't be entirely impossible to have a 130-140m movie and a 90-100m one at the same time.

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Jurassic World's buzz and presales feeling alot like Justice League/Solo where we had all the signs but everyone thought "it couldn't possibly....right?"

Just to put it into a bit of perspective, Guru predicted 120 million for Jurasasic World opening weekend.  I'm not saying that the presales aren't something to pay attention to, but maybe this is more of a walkup film.