Eric S'ennui

Tuesday Numbers l JW2 $18.4M

8 minutes ago, Moviefanatic said:

Was about to ask but why do people keep saying Gotg 3? Maybe you guys know something i don’t but i don’t see that movie opening anywhere near 200 million 

Really, not anywhere near? GotG2 did 146, so 3 should be looking at 150+ almost certainly. This'll be their first movie after featuring in a pair of Avengers movies, so it should see a healthy bump, and it would only need a 36.5% increase to hit 200.     

I wouldn't actually say it's favored, but it should be decently close.

Edited by Thanos Legion

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Really, not anywhere near? GotG2 did 146, so 3 should be looking at 150+ almost certainly. This'll be their first movie after featuring in a pair of Avengers movies, so it should see a healthy bump, and it would only need a 36.5% increase to hit 200.     

I wouldn't actually say it's favored, but it should be decently close.

Yea...just don’t see it for some reason. Maybe 165-170. Probably because i thought Gotg 2 was just ok 

Edited by Moviefanatic

1 hour ago, Moviefanatic said:

Hmm what will be the first 200 million opener to miss 600 million 🤔🤔

At this point, of all the potential 200m opener (and Guardians 3 is not one of them wth u guys smoking), Star Wars EP9 is the most likely. 

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

At this point, of all the potential 200m opener (and Guardians 3 is not one of them wth u guys smoking), Star Wars EP9 is the most likely. 

Yea I’ll go with Star Wars 9 but i honestly wouldn’t be surprised if that opened around AOU numbers instead but still make more than TLJ 

Oh, IX is another strong contender depending upon reception.        

GotG2 wasn't that great, but neither was Iron Man 2, Thor 2, or Avengers 2 -- the movies that people will be remembering then from more will be Infinity War and Avengers: Far From Title Announcement 

Applying the smallest of the 4 threequel bumps (IW, lol) would get it to 197.4      

Now there are a few totally reasonable arguments why it might set a new record low threequel bump. It's not like the current sample size is super big. But the numbers are pretty clear there for it, historically.

Edited by Thanos Legion

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

That was never on the table.. it's been projected for low-mid teens for weeks now. The first one did like $12m when it went wide.

How can you possibly know that 20 was never on the table? Tracking is not 100% accurate. Just look at JWFK.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

What? The first film made like 40m and was more indie drama than it was mainstream. Most of its audience are probably the type that never even think about sequels and franchises. And a lot of the cast and creative team aren't back for this one. Plus marketing seemed really low key. I didn't expect more than 10m for it on OW, so I'm already surprised it might make in the teens. 

What? 

Jesus dude. I swear you and I are like oil and water. Anytime I say something it seems like you always have to contradicted or bring up some Counterpoint. It's like nothing I ever say can ever be agreeable to you LOL. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

How can you possibly know that 20 was never on the table? Tracking is not 100% accurate. Just look at JWFK.

Sure, but you're expecting it to drastically overperform tracking which isn't typical. 

Yeah, JWFK is just about the only big movie this year that tracking really nailed -- BP, IW, and I2 went above theirs, DP and Solo below, but FK landed right in the window of long and short term tracking. That's part of why you saw a lot of people describing it as medium, imo.