Eric Loves Rey

Tuesday Numbers l JW2 $18.4M

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I can't believe we are even talking about this, whether IW is divisive or not. Like, what??

:wintf:

Certain people are just trying to make themselves feel better about movies that are actually divisive, so they're pretending like ALL blockbusters this summer are divisive. 

(although I wouldn't call Solo divisive either. it was more like a big no1curr)

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

The reaction to IW probably should've been divisive, honestly. That it wasn't is kind of nuts.

It was just so perfectly executed.

I mean, anecdotal, but the movie converted my mom to the MCU. She had seen a few (Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Thor Ragnarok) and always came out with a "Yeah, sure, fun movie" kind of reaction. She never really gave two shits. After IW, though, she was shocked about how much she actually really liked it. At first she was there just to tag along (it was a group of family and friends all seeing it). Now she already has her ticket for ANT-MAN AND THE WASP! I think she's only ever bought tickets in advance for Star Wars movies.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Just to play Devils Advocate, IW is only the second 200 mill OW film to not get a 3X.

True, but when you have a movie that's as well received as IW was, there's not much else to blame. You just have to chalk it up to the reality of the numbers. Maybe IW's legs are pretty much the peak (for the moment, at least) when you're dealing with an almost $260M opening weekend outside of Christmas holidays.

I mean, people used the burnt up demand excuse for I2. The same could be said for IW, whose initial weekdays were obscene for a non-summer/Christmas holiday film.

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

I really thought sicario would open in the twenties. If it opens below Uncle Drew I think that is very disappointing.

What? The first film made like 40m and was more indie drama than it was mainstream. Most of its audience are probably the type that never even think about sequels and franchises. And a lot of the cast and creative team aren't back for this one. Plus marketing seemed really low key. I didn't expect more than 10m for it on OW, so I'm already surprised it might make in the teens. 

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

Just to play Devils Advocate, IW is only the second 200 mill OW film to not get a 3X.

I wonder if a movie in the years ahead will open to 200M+ and miss 600M DOM. which all these openers have managed so far. If we look at adjusted figures, Spider-Man 3 is practically a case for that. So it would probably be a hyped up-franchise movie with mediocre/bad audience reception.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's also the first non-December release to hit $2 billion. As I said, if we're calling IW "divisive", then I truly don't even have the words to describe any other movie that came out this year (except BP). Horrendous?

• Like 2

Just now, Moviefanatic said:

Hmm what will be the first 200 million opener to miss 600 million 🤔🤔

My guess would be a May Marvel movie (not Avengers 4), one that's not as big of an event as IW and thus doesn't have as strong legs. 

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

It's also the first non-December release to hit $2 billion. As I said, if we're calling IW "divisive", then I truly don't even have the words to describe any other movie that came out this year (except BP). Horrendous?

Never thought of that. Good catch.

Lol, not even gonna bother with anyone attempting an argument that IW didn't get great WOM. Probably the same people who were swearing for months before release 2.5x wasn't achievable no matter how good WOM was. Even I always had the multi ceiling at like 2.9x. We all know 3x was nearly impossible for reasons that don't need to be restated, c'mon now. 

I mean, if you wanna call IW divisive, okay? But it's very very clear that movies like Solo and JW2 are like 100 feet below it so you just gotta come up with some other word to describe those. You cannot lump IW together with that. 

29 minutes ago, baumer said:

I really thought sicario would open in the twenties. If it opens below Uncle Drew I think that is very disappointing.

That was never on the table.. it's been projected for low-mid teens for weeks now. The first one did like $12m when it went wide.

1 minute ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

GotG 3 in 2020? Or SM:2 next year? 

GotGV3 would be a good candidate if I thought it could open over $200M, but I don't think there's a chance of that (unless events relating to the Guardians in Avengers 4 give it a good hook).

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME opens in July so if by some miracle it opened to over $200M I think it would get to $600M.

It'll be a May Marvel movie that has yet to be announced. 

29 minutes ago, JB33 said:

GotGV3 would be a good candidate if I thought it could open over $200M, but I don't think there's a chance of that (unless events relating to the Guardians in Avengers 4 give it a good hook).

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME opens in July so if by some miracle it opened to over $200M I think it would get to $600M.

It'll be a May Marvel movie that has yet to be announced. 

I highly doubt GOTG3 will make $200m OW. Maybe Avengers 5 with the new crew if it's not really as good as the old crew?