A Marvel Fanboy

Tron: Ares | October 10, 2025 | Jared Leto to star, Joachim Ronning to direct

Tron feels like it would be perfectly at home on Disney+. It feels like the kind of thing you check out when already in the Disney universe - like the ride at theme parks, but as a standalone offering i don't see it having the broad appeal needed.

Tron Legacy was the best chance it had of being an out and out blockbuster.

• Like 1

I hope this gets off the ground, is a direct continuation of Legacy (though not necessarily focused on the same characters), and includes Daft Punk. I thought Legacy got a bad rap. Sure, CLU looked like garbage most of the time, but I appreciated the ambition. Still incredible that it didn't get a VFX nomination.

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He does have an Oscar lol, even if it's an unpopular win. Clearly that delayed "leading man in tentpoles" phase of his career is kicking in now between Morbius and this.

Fassbender deserved the Oscar that year

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Tron feels like it would be perfectly at home on Disney+. It feels like the kind of thing you check out when already in the Disney universe - like the ride at theme parks, but as a standalone offering i don't see it having the broad appeal needed.

Tron Legacy was the best chance it had of being an out and out blockbuster.

EXACTLY. I don't know how much money John Ridley wanted for the show, but a streaming series would be the perfect way to continue the franchise. Fans will be happy, newcomers can stumble on to it while browsing through their feed and become fans in the process. Unless the idea was really bad or really expensive or they were gonna get Jeff Bridges or something, I don't get why they scrapped it.