A Marvel Fanboy

Tron: Ares | October 10, 2025 | Jared Leto to star, Joachim Ronning to direct

Just watched Jared Leto interviewed for DEADLINE's "Contenders" series following a live-stream of HOUSE OF GUCCI (This was great!) and he says, and I quote: "TRON is REAL."  It's in "very active development" and he says they are "very, very close to a script that would be ready for shooting."  He was asked if that means it's possible that it could even shoot in 2022, and he said yes.  

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t see why Disney would bother trying to make TRON a thing at this point. I thought they would’ve given up on that after they got Star Wars. 

I know they scrapped the idea and I'm sure the Disney+ show got canceled for a reason, but I still think a Disney+ Tron series, or even a made-for-streaming movie, is the way to go for the franchise. It's a property that is big enough to get headlines, but not so big that it will sell as a theatrical film. The fans are happy and newcomers can stumble upon it while browsing Disney+ and give it a fair shake because it's free, and hopefully it leads to more Tron content in the future.

• Like 1

Disney is starting to run out of surefire properties to revive since they're about to be coming to the end of the ones that are locked to make money (don't expect a live-action remake of Treasure Planet, for instance), so I can't say I'm surprised they're willing to give this IP one last shot to prove its box office worth, even if Legacy barely turned a profit and didn't quite live up to the mini-Avatar 2.0 expectations they had for it at the time (they re-themed the outside of the monorails at the Disney parks to promote the movie that entire year, for instance).

18 hours ago, filmlover said:

Disney is starting to run out of surefire properties to revive since they're about to be coming to the end of the ones that are locked to make money (don't expect a live-action remake of Treasure Planet, for instance), so I can't say I'm surprised they're willing to give this IP one last shot to prove its box office worth, even if Legacy barely turned a profit and didn't quite live up to the mini-Avatar 2.0 expectations they had for it at the time (they re-themed the outside of the monorails at the Disney parks to promote the movie that entire year, for instance).

How cool would that be, though??  Why not reinvigorate a problematic property rather than just ignore it?  But they probably see it as too close to JOHN CARTER...and of course they're not interested in revisiting that (even though it's actually a decent movie!).  Especially if they got an interesting director...but yeah, I don't trust Disney much these days to do anything really interesting with these properties... TRON is one of the last IP chances that has the freedom of narrative possibilities to try...  

STAR WARS has a billion possibilities, but I still don't see them doing anything really INTERESTING with it.  ROGUE ONE, for me, was the rare outlier.  

Edited by Macleod

10 minutes ago, Macleod said:

How cool would that be, though??  Why not reinvigorate a problematic property rather than just ignore it?  But they probably see it as too close to JOHN CARTER...and of course they're not interested in revisiting that (even though it's actually a decent movie!).  Especially if they got an interesting director...but yeah, I don't trust Disney much these days to do anything really interesting with these properties... TRON is one of the last IP chances that has the freedom of narrative possibilities to try...  

STAR WARS has a billion possibilities, but I still don't see them doing anything really INTERESTING with it.  ROGUE ONE, for me, was the rare outlier.  

What's funny is that moments after that post I saw that Disney had announced a remake of The Aristocats (everything from 70s Disney tends to be forgotten or ignored these days). Who knows, maybe revisiting their dark periods in history is what's next for them as they wait for nostalgia to really kick in for Frozen, etc.

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

Cause Tron is a cold IP. That puts people off. It's like Blade Runner. Ice cold. Nerds like sterile hyper futuristic look but general audience doesn't. 

Edited by Valonqar

On 1/21/2022 at 10:35 AM, filmlover said:

What's funny is that moments after that post I saw that Disney had announced a remake of The Aristocats (everything from 70s Disney tends to be forgotten or ignored these days). Who knows, maybe revisiting their dark periods in history is what's next for them as they wait for nostalgia to really kick in for Frozen, etc.

For good reason, the 70's and early 80's were sort of the bottom of the barrel for Disney as far as creativity goes. Roy Disney Jr has calle the 70's "The Dark Ages" as far as the quality of films at Disney was concerned. There were a couple of good ones, but most were mediocre at best. 

Roy Disney remembers goind to see Star Wars:ANH in 1977 and halfway thought saying; "This is the kind of movie we need to be making; it's the kind of movie Walt would make if here were still alive not the crap we make now".

You need movies that people have fond memories of for Nostalga to really work, and the output of Disney in the 70's offers damn few examples of that.

They did do a remake  of Pete's Dragon a few years ago; but they changes it to the point where it did not have much resembelence to the original at all.

Edited by dudalb