cookie

CAYOM Y4 - Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

i'm offended this johnny test filler didn't cast david henrie as johnny test, missed opportunity

His sister's a pop diva and his brother's the Blue Beetle, but poor Justin Russo won't even be hired by Michael Bay.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

18 minutes ago, cookie said:

His sister's a pop diva and his brother's the Blue Beetle, but poor Justin Russo won't even be hired by Michael Bay.

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

i'm offended this johnny test filler didn't cast david henrie as johnny test, missed opportunity

Spoiler

Wait till the post credits...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Reading Gil’s All Fright Diner and I am loving the book but maybe change a potentially problematic thing.

Dropped a little taste of the horror action in here. 

I am about to make Blood and Fur look like child’s play.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

So here's Cookie's Corner's new review format for the year:

Reviews:

For starters, like previously announced, I will only do full reviews by request this year instead of following the calendar or the posted order in the Part 1 thread or whatever. How many requests there can be made or what people can request I haven't entirely decided on yet, but I have a list of films I'm intending to review whether people want me to or not for reasons you will be made aware of before the requesting phase starts, so there'd be no use requesting for them.

Some reviews will be jokey if I don't feel like I have much else to say about it, but generally I will attempt to be more analytical and parse out what does and doesn't work.

It's also possible that I will review something people haven't requested if I feel like I have something significant to say about it, usually if it's a controversial work.

All films will ultimately receive grades that can be added to the aggregate chart but like what @Spagheditary did last year you'll know the grades for films that haven't been requested after the top 25, so the list in turn will have a bit more suspense to it.

Grades:

A minor issue I faced last year was that since a lot of films in the top 25 received similar grades (in the B- to B+ range) and I wasn't sure with how I was going to rank them, so a lot of it was sort of picked at random (within its grade range of course, a B/B+ movie wouldn't go lower than a B- movie) because I wasn't in the mood to go back and re-read all of them, so you had stuff like Spark: Homeward below Don't Let the Pigeon Drive even if the initial impressions might not have matched that ranking (no offense meant to the creators of either). This wasn't an issue with A- or above since I only had six films there and two of them were my own so it was easy to decide their ranking.

So what Cookie's Corner will do is take a page from @4815162342's book and grade with exact digits (X.X/10) so I can be much more exact and in turn make it easier for me to rank them later. There's a chance I'll change my mind on this or that film but for review aggregate purposes you'll be made aware of that too.

Top 25/Awards:

All films in the top 25 will receive a grade and mini-review (think basically an RT blurb) during the ranking WITH THE EXCEPTION of the top five since I still want to do the 'Cookie Awards' bit.

Just as an example (THIS IS NOT MY OPINION ON THIS FILM AS I HAVE NOT READ IT YET, THIS IS MAINLY FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES):

Treasure Planet: Gauntlet of Midas

Released from the restraints of doing a note-for-note re-imagining of the original Treasure Planet, Endless Entertainment delivers a more visually stunning and viscerally exciting follow-up even if its loftier goals aren't entirely met.

7.5/10

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3