Nova

Wednesday Numbers from Asagard 2: JW2 11.4, I2 9.4, The Purge 9.2 (we think..cryptic post by AS2)

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

If The Purge is 9.4M:

3.8M (-60%)

4.9M (+30%)

5.9M (+20%)

4.4M (-25%)

15.2M 3 Day, 28.4M 5 Day

3.8M today would be a 45% drop from Wednesday minus previews, which seems pretty reasonable.

2015 had July 4th on Saturday which depressed the weekend and Magic Mike 2 still hit 12.9m for the weekend with its terrible drops.  Purge will have a normal FSS so I think 15 is the lower end of what's likely (though personally I hope it goes as low as you're predicting). I'd guess 16-22m for FSS.  

• Like 1

the floor for jw2 imo:

7.0 (-40%) thu

8.75 (+25%) fri

11.35 (+30%) sat

9.10 (-20%) sun

29.1 3rd weekend (-52%), 333.8 cume

333.8 + 2*29.1 = 392.0 dom

Edited by a2k
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Shit!  It is still early on the West Coast.  A little past 9 a.m.  I don't think thenumbers.com really updates any major studios then for at least another, that is if they even show up at all.  Shucks, Deadline might be the only accurate report today, but I don't know if those are official studio released estimates.  Slippy out.  

6 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

ID4 one of the most hyped films in history. It's Friday-Sunday gross of $50.2m was just below the record even though the movie opened on Tuesday! Had that opened on Friday, it's record would have held until Potter in 2001.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

The Cinemascore system simply does not work with horror films or horror film fans are some of the most discerning film fans anywhere. Maybe it’s both.

Horror has unique spectatorship in that fans of it will not only never agree on what is and isn't a good horror film - they can't even agree on what horror is FOR. Hence why films like Hereditary (on one side of things) and Hostel (on another) are considered borderline classics by some and utter trash that is barely recognisable as horror by others.

It also means that many established 'classics' in the genre are less genuinely great films but are just the least contentious in terms of nobody being able to claim they're 'bad' from a dramatic point of view (ie. Silence of the Lambs, The Omen)

Just read all 6 pages of this thread. You know something’s gotta be up when SteveJaros is one of the more... reasonable posters regarding the numbers.

Nothing against ya Jaros, but you have had some very outlandish predictions in the past. (but haven’t we all)

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The-numbers has some updates/actuals:

Jurassic World 2:

- Tuesday: $11,891,170

- Wednesday: $11,501,395

Total gross as of Wednesday: $297,672,320

The First Purge Wednesday: $9,305,875

Peace,

Mike

• Like 4