WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Any hope AM&TW is going up with actual number? perhaps something was underestimated? 

I think Incredibles 2 and JW will increase, not sure about Ant-Man.

6 minutes ago, picores said:

I think Incredibles 2 and JW will increase, not sure about Ant-Man.

Agree here. Wouldn't shock me if Ant-Man dropped a tick but then recovers well over the coming weekdays. Then, sees the usual 55%+ dip this coming weekend. Then, a la Spidey Homecoming, recovers well and rolls into some nice legs through the rest of its run for a $210M+ DOM total

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Brooke was a gem, by far the most likable to me.

Wish Riley was a regular too.

She started off annoying but she became a great character as the season went on.  Her and Emma were the highlights.....actually, Noah and Audrey were awesome too.  

AMATW is exactly the type of movie to match tracking/initial interest and not any more than that IMO. It's a fun time but no one's going to leave the movie saying you must see it ASAP the way BP or IW had people buzzing.

3 hours ago, StevenG said:

Has any DisneyMCU film not gone up with OW actuals? Has any of them gone down? 

They gave it a 21% Sunday drop....that's pretty reasonable.  It's the Saturday number that is shocking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

They gave it a 21% Sunday drop....that's pretty reasonable.  It's the Saturday number that is shocking.

There were 2 quarterfinal WC matches on Saturday. It's not that shocking and the Sunday drop makes sense.

34 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Has any DisneyMCU film not gone up with OW actuals? Has any of them gone down? 

I believe a few of them have.  From my experience, movies that are performing somewhere below expectations tend to go down with actual (as the studio is being more generous with their estimates in an attempt to make things look closer to expectations) and movies performing above expectations tend to increase with actual (as Maybe studios are more conservative with them, and don’t want the positive press to lessen because it dropped from estimates)

AMATW is right at expectations I believe, so I reckon whether it dips or increases, it stays close to the same.

8 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

There were 2 quarterfinal WC matches on Saturday. It's not that shocking and the Sunday drop makes sense.

The WC matches were over by the middle of the afternoon on the east coast. They had almost no impact on the Saturday box office grosses.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

It came out that viewership for the World Cup in the USA is down 42% compared to last time so not sure what kind of effect it had on theaters. Especially since there were also 2 quarterfinal matches on Friday and well Friday seemed fine. Not too mention that the games were by the end of the afternoon on the East coast and 1PM on the West Coast. 

I know personally in my area, the theater was dead again this weekend but thats because it was like 80 degrees and people were probably excited to finally be able to do outdoor activities besides going to the beach without dying of a heat stroke. 

Edited by Nova

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

The WC matches were over by the middle of the afternoon on the east coast. They had almost no impact on the Saturday box office grosses.

Since Croatia vs. Russia went into extra time and penalties, it ended around 5pm-ish after all was said and done. Certainly could've had an effect on matinees which are more important for family friendly movies.

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

Guys, if Logan couldn't get a BP nomination, no way in hell is Infinity War getting one.

IMO I don't even think BP deserves one. Anything bigger than screenplay/score etc shouldn't, but still might, happen

Logan and AIW are not important to the Oscars. BP is. A SH movie needs a special narrative to break into the Best Picture line up. So that AMPAS doesn't feel silly for including it. It's a genre bias. Logan and AIW had/have zero such narrative while BP has a strong one.  It's in.  They don't want the repeat of TDK backlash but this time with obligatory racist accusations (even though a snub would be pure genre bias, not some other kind of bias). It's happening. Done. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

BP has the narrative, box office and the reviews though. Logan while good was still sitting below 80 on MC and its box office while also good was nothing to write home about. BP has everything going for it plus with an even newer younger Academy membership voting.

• Like 1

Metacritic Scores:

Black Panther: 88

Infinity War: 68

One of those films stands a very good chance of being nominated for Best Picture. One of them has zero chance of being nominated for Best Picture.

Lion got nominated for best picture despite having a MC score of 69 so lets not use MC as some metric of what films should get nominated and what ones shouldn't when two years ago there was one that was under 70 that got a nom. 

Edited by Nova