WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Quality is clearly not an issue when they nominate generic bait like The Blind Side, Darkest Hour, Theory of Everything, etc every damn year. That's why they decided to kick out the old inactive members cause those are the types of movies a 90 year old who hasn't worked in 20 years would love.

I agree with every examples that you gave,they are the worst in their respective year, those are petty meh film but quality wise, they are not that bad in term of MC or RT. The "preference" factor clearly works in favour of them in those cases.

28 minutes ago, Goffe said:

So, what you are saying they have to bring in Marvel fanboiz to their voting table

That comment didn’t have anything to do with Marvel but everything to do with #OscarsSoWhite 

42 minutes ago, Alli said:

speaking of genre...why wasn't Edge of Tomorrow nominated for best picture? better than Mad Max FR

The very lazy beginning and having an hard time having an ending hurt it, 90 vs 71 MC score reflect the difference.

52 minutes ago, Nova said:

AMPAS doesn't normally recognize risky niche films though

They do it more than ever before too right ? (just read how many people complain about how niche they got).

Elle got an Oscar nomination and a movie about a woman that love getting raped will pretty much be as risky as it will realistically get for such a large group of voters.

Obviously when you have 7,000 voters and from all around the world and different culture,  what achieve to make a large enough consensus by definition will not be that much of a niche (maybe one day the vote will split so much they will achieve to get in).

But last year:

Call me by your name

Get out

Three Billboard

Shape of water

Lady Bird

The Florida Project

Mudbound

Mixed nicely with the more traditional The post, I Toyna, Dunkirk, Phantom Thread, Darkest hour, Roman J. Israel, Esq. All the Money in the World, etc...

1 hour ago, Nova said:

“Harvey Weinstein changed the Academy Awards in 1998 when he took campaigning to the NEXT LEVEL with Shakespeare In Love.  Ever since then, we're moved more from blockbusters and popular films to niche films.  We've created an entire genre: they literally call it Oscar Bait.  So now every December we get a string of bullshit faux-art films that exist so no reason except for people to win award and jack off to each other's greatest.

People complained about Oscar bait and campaigning since at least the 70s and talked about Oscar bait since at least the 50s it is not something recent has an invention.

One change is now we do not hear about studio voting block (there was a tendancy from the studio era for the ampas to be filled with studio employee that people thought voted for their own studio movie and talked about vote split if a studio had 2 movie in nominations).

It is not a new or Weinstein genre. Like you said first he just upped the game but probably that VHS would have upped and opened the door for non studio to compete in it even without them. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_bait

While the term has been used in discussions of films since at least 1948, and studios have always tended to release at least some films that seemed intended for Oscar voters near the end of the year, the explicit use of the Oscar nominations as a promotional strategy dates to 1978. That year, Michael Cimino's The Deer Hunter was shown only to limited audiences heavy with Oscar voters and critics for just long enough to be eligible, and then went into wide release after the nominations were announced

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Goffe said:

So, what you are saying they have to bring in Marvel fanboiz to their voting table

I know this is crazy, but hear me out. Another possibility is that Marvel could make an Oscar worthy film. BP comes a lot closer to that distinction than IW does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oscar worthy doesn't mean anything when standards apply differently to different genres. A movie about Queen Victoria starring Meryl Streep with a 60 MC/RT would easily be in the conversation for multiple Oscars while an action/horror movie with that score would be laughed out of the room.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Logan and AIW are not important to the Oscars. BP is. A SH movie needs a special narrative to break into the Best Picture line up. So that AMPAS doesn't feel silly for including it. It's a genre bias. Logan and AIW had/have zero such narrative while BP has a strong one.  It's in.  They don't want the repeat of TDK backlash but this time with obligatory racist accusations (even though a snub would be pure genre bias, not some other kind of bias). It's happening. Done. 

Not trying to start a franchise war but honestly I don’t even think BP has a strong script. Outside of the culture on display, which worked well in the movie admittedly, it’s just an average CBM with its own plot conveniences, characters that work and characters that are one dimensional. 

The things that that made BP work well aren’t due to superior filmmaking, but rather some good decisions made by the higher-ups. This is why I don’t think it deserves a nomination

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Not trying to start a franchise war but honestly I don’t even think BP has a strong script. Outside of the culture on display, which worked well in the movie admittedly, it’s just an average CBM with its own plot conveniences, characters that work and characters that are one dimensional. 

The things that that made BP work well aren’t due to superior filmmaking, but rather some good decisions made by the higher-ups. This is why I don’t think it deserves a nomination

Weak script didn't hurt non-SH movie's nominations and sometimes even wins. So demanding a strong script from SH movies whereas biopics, etc can get away with the same so-so job isn't fair on AMPAS part. 

this isn't about whether BP is the best SH movie to finally get acknowledged in BP category, this is about that it will happen because stars lined up. It has high enough MC for AMPAS not to be embarrassed, it's #1 movie of 2018 at the US boxoffice, and it's deemed important and timely. AMPAS has gone for timely more often than not. Also, as others pointed out, it's gonna be a player in below the line categories (costume - possible win, score, song, not sure about sound categories). I honestly don't know how they could ignore and put something else in the blockbuster spot. I2? It's likely winning Animated so that's a separate category.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Oscar worthy doesn't mean anything when standards apply differently to different genres. A movie about Queen Victoria starring Meryl Streep with a 60 MC/RT would easily be in the conversation for multiple Oscars while an action/horror movie with that score would be laughed out of the room.  

Remember when The Reader (62% on RT and 58 on MC) got a best picture nomination in 2008 and The Dark Knight didn't. Talk about some great Oscar worthy stuff right there. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5536533

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Remember when The Reader (62% on RT and 58 on MC) got a best picture nomination in 2008 and The Dark Knight didn't. Talk about some great Oscar worthy stuff right there.  

The Dark Knight won Best Supporting Actor.