aabattery

Thai Cave Rescue Miniseries | Netflix | Jon M. Chu and SK Global to develop

With the Thai cave rescue still fresh in people's minds, Hollywood is steaming ahead with big-screen adaptations of the dramatic story, with two declared projects now in development. 

A day after faith-based production company Pure Flix revealed its project, Ivanhoe Pictures president John Penotti announced Wednesday that the company had been selected by Thailand's Navy and government to develop a movie based on the rescue which saw an international team of divers, cavers and special forces work with Thai authorities to reach a group of 12 boys and their coach trapped in a cave in Northern Thailand. 

The soccer team's ordeal began June 23 when rising water trapped them inside a cave, and the last of the dozen boys and one coach were rescued on Tuesday after a harrowing 18 days that sparked global media interest. 

• Like 2

That didn't take long. Almost to dirty exploitation levels of quick :thinking: I know you gotta cash in while the iron's still hot, but... don't know if it's appropriate to already work on a film about this subject. Maybe give everyone involved some time to recollect themselves 1st before the world can be reminded of their story and bravery?

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That didn't take long. Almost to dirty exploitation levels of quick :thinking: 

They did wait 5 years before they made that movie about the Chilean miners...

The_33_film_poster-2.jpg

• Like 1

This is definitely a bold choice for Pure Flix. I don't believe that the main goal here is to be exploitative; I really do think they see this as a story of wonderful, real-world acts of heroism, and they want to tell that story the way they know how.

This can be the film that digs Pure Flix out of the laughingstock pit if they put their hearts in production.

Edit: reading the source is how I got the news that all of them were rescued! Praise be to God! That is excellent!

Edited by Slambros

2 hours ago, Slambros said:

This is definitely a bold choice for Pure Flix. I don't believe that the main goal here is to be exploitative; I really do think they see this as a story of wonderful, real-world acts of heroism, and they want to tell that story the way they know how.

This can be the film that digs Pure Flix out of the laughingstock pit if they put their hearts in production.

Edit: reading the source is how I got the news that all of them were rescued! Praise be to God! That is excellent!

Of course it's exploitative.  None of these people have even spoken to the boys or the coach - many of whom are still hospitalized but they're all ready to make a buck off of them and their rescuers.  You think any of them have reached out to the family of the former SEAL who died?  Doubtful.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Slambros said:

This isn't the Pure Flix one. This is a separate project based on the same event, but with a different creative team.

3 hours ago, AJG said:

They did wait 5 years before they made that movie about the Chilean miners...

2 possible difference, the movie in the Thai case seem easier and more obvious, also it look like you can make just from public record element (i.e. maybe there is no need to acquire people rights).

The line between inspired, having something to say about and profiting can get quite blurry.

Did anyone saw Fruitvale Station and thought that, clearly not that was an incident that inspired a filmmaker and had something to say about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/30/movies/a-bay-area-killing-inspires-fruitvale-station.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Within weeks of the incident, Mr. Coogler, who had made two well-regarded short films at U.S.C., was telling friends he wanted to make a movie about what had happened at the Fruitvale Station.

An event in which countries of all around the world team up together to save kids, I would imagine many people wanted to do a movie like that (or an X-Com enemy unknown video game adaptation), with the look at what humanity can achieve when they are able to fix a common objective and so on, it is the Martian movie but on earth.

And their is obviously an angle with which they can get co-financing and pre-sales some market if they sell it from a real news event.

Knowing many will be interested in this (after The Martian made 600m) you probably want to plant the flag first and that will make for an time inappropriate and more importantly way of doing it inappropriate (with the people involved learning it from the trades) , but does that change anything (imagine they announce it in 2 month after having talked to everyone, does that make it less or more cash grabbing on an event ?).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AJG said:

Ivanahoe Pictures???

I love the way they play the Race Card to try to hide the fact this is a low budget quicky exploitation film....

A FUndy Christian company, which will probably make all the charecters born again Christians...(highly unlikely, given that Thailan is a Buddhist country_ versus a film Company nobody has ever heard, probably out to make a quick buck.

Let them fight, and I hope they kill each other off in the process.

Edited by dudalb

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Of course it's exploitative.  None of these people have even spoken to the boys or the coach - many of whom are still hospitalized but they're all ready to make a buck off of them and their rescuers.  You think any of them have reached out to the family of the former SEAL who died?  Doubtful.

A plague on both companies trying to exploit this.

Particualry Pureflix, given that every movie they have made pushes a Christian message. I can only think the Thai Government was misinformed when they agreed to Pureflix  given Thailand is a heavily Buddhist country.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

The line between inspired, having something to say about and profiting can get quite blurry.

Did anyone saw Fruitvale Station and thought that, clearly not that was an incident that inspired a filmmaker and had something to say about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/30/movies/a-bay-area-killing-inspires-fruitvale-station.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Within weeks of the incident, Mr. Coogler, who had made two well-regarded short films at U.S.C., was telling friends he wanted to make a movie about what had happened at the Fruitvale Station.

An event in which countries of all around the world team up together to save kids, I would imagine many people wanted to do a movie like that (or an X-Com enemy unknown video game adaptation), with the look at what humanity can achieve when they are able to fix a common objective and so on, it is the Martian movie but on earth.

And their is obviously an angle with which they can get co-financing and pre-sales some market if they sell it from a real news event.

Knowing many will be interested in this (after The Martian made 600m) you probably want to plant the flag first and that will make for an time inappropriate and more importantly way of doing it inappropriate (with the people involved learning it from the trades) , but does that change anything (imagine they announce it in 2 month after having talked to everyone, does that make it less or more cash grabbing on an event ?).

I don't think this is comparable to Fruitvale Station. That while Coogler wanted to tell that story, he spent years working on it, and meeting with the family before it ever went into production. This movie is an immediate response to an event, without any discussion with family or the victims themselves. Now it looks less like wanting to tell the story, and more like being the first to tell the story, which means it looks more like they want the money from telling the story, then actually telling the story.

And to answer your question, yes, I do think waiting two months to talk to those involved is less cash-grabby. It's all cash grabby, but it would be less than announcing immediately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

A plague on both companies trying to exploit this.

Particualry Pureflix, given that every movie they have made pushes a Christian message. I can only think the Thai Government was misinformed when they agreed to Pureflix  given Thailand is a heavily Buddhist country.

They did ?

From what I understand they are dealing with Ivanahoe Pictures, a company that specialize into Asian themed production.

1 hour ago, RandomCat said:

And to answer your question, yes, I do think waiting two months to talk to those involved is less cash-grabby. It's all cash grabby, but it would be less than announcing immediately.

Deciding right away (like they do) and wait 2 month to say you do would look less cash grabby for sure, but would it be (obviously no, it is just a PR move).

1 hour ago, RandomCat said:

I don't think this is comparable to Fruitvale Station. That while Coogler wanted to tell that story, he spent years working on it, and meeting with the family before it ever went into production. This movie is an immediate response to an event, without any discussion with family or the victims themselves

That assuming the producer/writer/director will not do the same here (you could be right on this)