Box Office Hit

M3GAN | Universal | January 6, 2023 | Profit of $78.8M

Same old damn story with horror.

Film gets buzz. Does well.

Casual audience members go. Don't understand horror is a heterogenous genre with multiple spectatorship forms. The film isn't necessarily right on their buttons. Therefore it's dismissed as "bad" or at least "mediocre". Only exceptions are essentially thrillers like Silence Of the Lambs and Black Phone or wet known properties like IT.

It's impossible to be a successful horror film without a backlash. Even harder to be a very good, well crafted horror film (which M3g3n may or may not be, I haven't seen it yet) without a backlash.

It's why horror will always be the mutt despite being the most reliable genre there is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Hope you like it Verrow.

My final rating is 5.7 out of 10. Wife a 6.0. 🦝👍

We did. My boyfriend and I had fun with it. Like you and @DAJK have kind of hinted at, it won't blow anyone away but it's just well done for what it is. Fun is the word I keep using. I can see why it's got good reviews and seemingly strong WoM.

As I said in the weekend thread, there was a surprisingly strong turnout at my theatre for an afternoon showing so I expect this to play well through the evening and the rest of the weekend of the word of mouth carries on.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Verrows said:

We did. My boyfriend and I had fun with it. Like you and @DAJK have kind of hinted at, it won't blow anyone away but it's just well done for what it is. Fun is the word I keep using. I can see why it's got good reviews and seemingly strong WoM.

As I said in the weekend thread, there was a surprisingly strong turnout at my theatre for an afternoon showing so I expect this to play well through the evening and the rest of the weekend of the word of mouth carries on.

Very nice!!. Yeah the hall and elevator scene got nice reactions from our crowd. 😂 

I want to see good numbers from both A2 and Megan..What did you rate out of 10 btw?

Hopefully a certain feline hangs In there too verrows.😉🦝

Trust Me Cat GIF by Regal

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Very nice!!. Yeah the hall and elevator scene got nice reactions from our crowd. 😂 

I want to see good numbers from both A2 and Megan..What did you rate out of 10 btw?

Hopefully a certain feline hangs In there too verrows.😉🦝

Trust Me Cat GIF by Regal

I would give it a solid 7/10. A2 would get an 8 or 8.5. Have yet to see Puss in Boots, that's up next, as well as a third Avatar viewing! Will keep you posted!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Verrows said:

I would give it a solid 7/10. A2 would get an 8 or 8.5. Have yet to see Puss in Boots, that's up next, as well as a third Avatar viewing! Will keep you posted!

MSN and others have Megan hitting 26-30M.. So its a bonified first Smash hit of 2023.

Avatar 2 Still bringing in the Bacon with 40-47M Weekend 2. (Hopefully on the higher end of that spectrum)

Yeeehaw.. The marketing team for Megan and company definitely deserve a pat on the back. Way above expectations if it hits 26-30M!

• Like 1

“The protag’s droopy dance caught on like wild fire out of the first trailer — and this was without the studio doing a #MeganDanceChallenage. There was none of that. It was all organic with 1.3 billion views on TikTok across the hashtags #M3GAN, #M3GANMovie, and #M3GANDance.” Source: Deadline. 

That’s the type of marketing you just can’t buy. 1.3B completely free views for Universal there. Organic viral sensation. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

“The protag’s droopy dance caught on like wild fire out of the first trailer — and this was without the studio doing a #MeganDanceChallenage. There was none of that. It was all organic with 1.3 billion views on TikTok across the hashtags #M3GAN, #M3GANMovie, and #M3GANDance.” Source: Deadline. 

That’s the type of marketing you just can’t buy. 1.3B completely free views for Universal there. Organic viral sensation. 

Amazing what happens when a studio focus on putting out something fun and unique. The market takes it from there.

Edited by Verrows

23 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Amazing what happens when a studio focus on putting out something fun and unique. The market takes it from there.

Sadly, we know that doesn’t always work out. There is a sheer luck and zeitgeist element to it for sure, with what goes viral and what doesn’t. 

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

Sadly, we know that doesn’t always work out. There is a sheer luck and zeitgeist element to it for sure, with what goes viral and what doesn’t. 

This is true but i also think when it comes to horror movies especially, the quality of the movies plays a big big role. In the past, even if the film was really bad, it could still attract huge numbers of viewers, but since the pandemic began, there is a pattern that nearly all of the well-received horror films also just have good box office. More than ever it seems, the performances of horror films are deceided by WOM. Megan is the newest example for this. If it would have a 30% RT score and bad audience response, it would have tanked on OW, but since its a well-made and well-liked movie, it will enjoy great success.