sfran43

Weekend Thread: | Estimates (per BOM) ~ M:I-F 35M, DCR 25.003M, TSWDM 12.35M, MM!HWGA 9.09M, TE2 8.83M, HT3:SV 8.2M, AMatW 6.188M, TDM 5.8M

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

MI could be #1 again this weekend if The Meg stays in the tracking range (which I'm leaning towards after CR underperformed). Otherwise, I think it'll be something new every weekend.

I dunno, the weekend before Labor Day and Labor Day weekend itself look really bleak (I could see The Happytime Murders doing sub-$20M total quite easily tbh). Searching seems like the kind of movie that gets critically-acclaimed but unfortunately nobody goes to see in theaters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I was wrong about The hitman's Bodyguard last year so maybe I'll be wrong again but I honestly do not see The Meg doing well. I'm going low on that thing.

Seems like an obvious $20M opening/$50M total type of run to me. Which is fine for a movie that sounds like a 5 minute SNL skit stretched out to feature length (Jason Statham vs. Megalodon), but a disaster next to such a gargantuan budget.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I dunno, the weekend before Labor Day and Labor Day weekend itself look really bleak (I could see The Happytime Murders doing sub-$20M total quite easily tbh). Searching seems like the kind of movie that gets critically-acclaimed but unfortunately nobody goes to see in theaters.

I'm expecting at least 10M for Searching over Labor Day. The limited release the weekend prior will help build buzz.

Edited by WrathOfHan

23 hours ago, ainsleyb said:

I don't think it has anything to do with that, most 'black' movies are targeted primarily at the African-American demographic. As other countries worldwide don't have African-American populations then they don't resonate with worldwide audience as much and tend to get a smaller or no release at all. Big exceptions are films with wide ranging appeal like 'Black panther' and 'Get out'. 

Sorry to bother you is a small platform release with stars that aren't known outside the U.S so its not a surprise overseas distributors don't think it has much potential. Tyler Perry movies do great business in America but don't get released much overseas because they wouldn't make any money.

For starters, why is Black Panther being brought up? Sorry to Bother You is an arthouse/indie movie, so of course it is not going to make anywhere near what Black Panther made. Tully has not made anywhere near what The Avengers made, but what do those two things have to do with one another, besides the race of the stars, when one they are two different types of movies? It is telling that arthouse/indie movies with white stars such as 7 Days in Entebbe, First Reformed, Disobedience, Beirut, Leave No Trace, Unsane, Tully, Chappaquiddick and probably numerous others from this spring,summer that escape me are able to make $5,000,000 or less overseas in numerous countries without anyone questioning whether they oughta any more movies like that overseas. Meanwhile, Sorry to Bother You, a movie that has made more domestically than those movies have made internationally and domestically altogether, is being refused to be played because 'it will not make any money.' They just are not playing it because they do not want to play it. I am not even about to broach the movie being compared to a Tyler Perry movie because you are not going to compare Birdman or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to a Larry the Cable Guy movie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Seems like an obvious $20M opening/$50M total type of run to me. Which is fine for a movie that sounds like a 5 minute SNL skit stretched out to feature length (Jason Statham vs. Megalodon), but a disaster next to such a gargantuan budget.

how fucking dare you denigrate The Meg like that

1 hour ago, PenguinHyphy said:

For starters, why is Black Panther being brought up? Sorry to Bother You is an arthouse/indie movie, so of course it is not going to make anywhere near what Black Panther made. Tully has not made anywhere near what The Avengers made, but what do those two things have to do with one another, besides the race of the stars, when one they are two different types of movies? It is telling that arthouse/indie movies with white stars such as 7 Days in Entebbe, First Reformed, Disobedience, Beirut, Leave No Trace, Unsane, Tully, Chappaquiddick and probably numerous others from this spring,summer that escape me are able to make $5,000,000 or less overseas in numerous countries without anyone questioning whether they oughta any more movies like that overseas. Meanwhile, Sorry to Bother You, a movie that has made more domestically than those movies have made internationally and domestically altogether, is being refused to be played because 'it will not make any money.' They just are not playing it because they do not want to play it. I am not even about to broach the movie being compared to a Tyler Perry movie because you are not going to compare Birdman or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to a Larry the Cable Guy movie. 

What part aren’t you getting about movies primarily aimed at African-American audiences not having much play in countries that don’t have African Americans?

sorry to bother you making more than other indies in the u.s means nothing overseas. If they thought it would be worth releasing and make them money then they would. 

Seeing as you brought it up, Larry the Cable Guy movies didn’t really get released overseas either. He’s an unknown outside the U.S so the films wouldn’t have made any money. 

Edited by ainsleyb
  • Like 2

Trailer stalkers @Blankments (Never got the trailers for Christopher Robin or DOAN in theaters):

6:

Alpha (The Hitman’s Bodyguard, Geostorm, Thor: Ragnarok, Downsizing, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Isle of Dogs)

The Darkest Minds (A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, Blockers, Breaking In, Upgrade, Hereditary)

5:

BlacKkKlansman (Upgrade, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Skyscraper, Unfriended: Dark Web, Sorry to Bother You)

The Meg (Upgrade, Hereditary, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Skyscraper)

4:

Venom (Black Panther, Game Night, Blockers, Deadpool 2)

3:

Alita: Battle Angel (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Mission: Impossible - Fallout)

Bumblebee (Incredibles 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Mission: Impossible - Fallout)

Creed II (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Skyscraper, Sorry to Bother You)

Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch (Isle of Dogs, Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)

First Man (Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Skyscraper, Mission: Impossible - Fallout)

The Happytime Murders (Tag, The First Purge, Sorry to Bother You)

The Hate U Give (Skyscraper, Unfriended: Dark Web, Sorry to Bother You)

Kin (Hereditary, The First Purge, Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

Night School (Blockers, Breaking In, Tag)

The Nun (Tag, The First Purge, Unfriended: Dark Web)

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (The Greatest Showman, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Skyscraper)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Love, Simon, Ready Player One, Deadpool 2)

2 and 1:

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Ready Player One, Tag)

Eighth Grade (Isle of Dogs)

Spoiler

2:

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Unsane, Isle of Dogs)

Dog Days (Incredibles 2, Leave No Trace)

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Isle of Dogs, Avengers: Infinity War)

The Girl in the Spider’s Web (Ocean’s 8, Mission: Impossible - Fallout)

Halloween (The First Purge, Unfriended: Dark Web)

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Ready Player One, Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Mortal Engines (The Commuter, Skyscraper)

Nobody’s Fool (The First Purge, Unfriended: Dark Web)

Polaroid (Wind River, mother!)

The Predator (The First Purge, Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

Searching (Hereditary, Unfriended: Dark Web)

A Star Is Born (Ocean’s 8, Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

1:

Aquaman (Mission: Impossible – Fallout)

A.X.L. (Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Bohemian Rhapsody (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)

The Current War (Wind River)

Hell Fest (Unfriended: Dark Web)

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Incredibles 2)

The Little Stranger (Hereditary)

Little Women (Leave No Trace)

Mary Poppins Returns (Leave No Trace)

Mile 22 (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)

The New Mutants (Thor: Ragnarok)

Operation Finale (Mission: Impossible – Fallout)

Overlord (Mission: Impossible – Fallout)

Peppermint (Ocean’s 😎

Ralph Breaks the Internet (Incredibles 2)

Robin Hood (Mission: Impossible – Fallout)

Serenity (Tag)

Smallfoot (Coco)

Support the Girls (Sorry to Bother You)

White Boy Rick (Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

Widows (Ocean’s 😎

Wonder Park (Leave No Trace)

• Like 1