chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

Joint 80th - Scarlett O Hara - Vivian Leigh - Gone With The Wind 

Cinema's second best Scarlett stamps her mark on our list...

I wonder if it is a part of DC Canon that Scarlett turned down Superman because of his warmongering ways.

So it is back to back characters from pre 1960s cinema as well as our  third female character in 4 positions. Scarlett does what both Melanie Wilkes (420th) and Rhett Butler (559th) could not and reaches the list right at the top of bottom 20%. 

GWTW is a film very much of its time which is watched today either with respect for the accomplishments it achieved for the time, or with contempt for some of the themes it supposedly represents with hindsight. Regardless, Leigh's character is one that is destined to be forever remembered by audiences for as long as there are means to watch golden age cinema. 

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

82nd - Kikuchiyo - Toshiro Mifune - The Seven Samurai

The film responsible for the masterpiece, A Bug's Life

A may have looked up the wrong portrayal of Kikuchiyo there, but I am not sure.  Kurosawa is a famed and legendary director absolutely, but this entry surprised me as I assumed with the anime fetish bent that this site seems to have, that if any Akira was making the list it was Kaneda, but he finished in 263rd. In fact the highest animated Japanese character was Setsuko from Grave of the Fireflies in a criminal 156th place. 

Regardless, it is good to see both foreign cinema and also classic cinema receiving another place on this list.  

Mifune is a beast

• Thanks 1

Joint 80th - Vincent Vega - John Travolta - Pulp Fiction

And with that, JOhn Travolta has more characters on this list than Julia Roberts, Daniel Day Lewis, Denzel Washington, and Peewee Herman Combined...

I wonder if this scene was thrown in because Quinten had cast Travolta, or whether Travolta was cast because there was a dance scene... or neither of the above. OR maybe he just wanted to be an inspiration to K Pop everywhere as the comments section of that video is all about this video:

Whatever the reason, this was a film that relaunched Tralvolta's career for a full 6 years and also made sure that Tarantino was not a one hit wonder. It's a great performance that taught American's everything they know about European Burger Kings.

How much more Tarantino is left to come? 

• Like 10

Stopping there for the moment but will just say that the next five include (in no particular order)

A Woman who spends multiple films trying not to be killed by an angry unkillable entity

A Woman who spends multiple films trying not to be killed by an angry unkillable entity

An angry character that wants revenge for the death of their family

An angry character that wants revenge for the death of their family

A drunk

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

A may have looked up the wrong portrayal of Kikuchiyo there, but I am not sure.  Kurosawa is a famed and legendary director absolutely, but this entry surprised me as I assumed with the anime fetish bent that this site seems to have, that if any Akira was making the list it was Kaneda, but he finished in 263rd. In fact the highest animated Japanese character was Setsuko from Grave of the Fireflies in a criminal 156th place. 

Yes! I'm actually happy he made it to the top 100. Proud to say I included him on my list. 

79th - Laurie Strode - Jamie Lee Curtis - Halloween  

When the voice of Shrek is trying to kill you, what do you do?

While the question of best movie monster is a big debate of contention, with many hats being thrown into the ring, the title of best horror movie victim (or attempted victim), is a slightly more open and shut case. Friday doesn't really have an endearing protagonist from film to film and Heather Longen, Langon, Lengin.... something kamp didn't really have the career outside of Elm Street to compete with Curtis. 

Curtis I think is the only character from a horror film to receive significant votes that wasn't the person trying to do the teen murdering. 

• Like 9

78th - Caesar - Andy Serkis - Planet of the Apes   

"Can he play the piano anymore? Well of course he can! Well he couldn't before!"

Was that the best 'NO!' in cinema? Well I am possibly biased as I consider the apes trilogy to possibly be the best film trilogy ever made. I don't care what may or maybe not still be to come, this is the best performance Serkis has ever given in my personal opinion and this film brought about a new era in how motion capture can be done. 

I wish more people agreed with me...

• Like 10

77th - Maximum Decimus Meridius - Russell Crowe - Gladiator

Sadly less is known about his Greenwich based cousin, Primo...

I included the video above because the bit at 12 seconds is just pure wonderfulness. Russell Crowe has had a lot of great roles in his career, but it is hard to think if any others became as iconic as this one. The man of many accents, one of which is good (and the one from the Mummy which is life), Crowe is a great actor and that is showcased in this performance as well as any other which may come to mind. 

Surprisingly, the only other role to get even a vote outside of this was his role in Master and Commander which finished 758th. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

NO!

watched all 3 new ape films very good

Admit it, you would sell your entire family into slavery if it meant Serkis agreed to put on the ol' mo cap sensors and become a lanky blue alien thing for a film or 4.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chasmmi said:

Admit it, you would sell your entire family into slavery if it meant Serkis agreed to put on the ol' mo cap sensors and become a lanky blue alien thing for a film or 4.

Lol,  he would be good at doing the animals

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

76th - Rick Blaine - Humphrey Bogart - Casablanca

Little known fact that the actor here was named after a rare breed of camel...

I am one of those uncultured swines that believes that the acting in black and white cinema is never good. Except for Casablanca that is. This film is as close to perfect as a film can get, and Bogart is the centre of that. This scene above is parodied so much that I knew it line for line before I ever saw the film, yet it still works at the climax, everything is that damn good. Hell that two minute clip could in itself supply up to 5 lines in @baumer's upcoming best movie lines list. 

Ilsa Lund sadly just missed the list in 123rd, and Captain Renault managed a vote to slip into 757th. 

• Like 12

75th - Hermione Granger - Emma Watson - Harry Potter

Her relationship with Ron was Emma's early prep work for her future role in a Disney Live Action remake. 

On a serious note, the casting director for this series needs an award of some description. Pretty much the entire cast of this became great actors as they grew up and it ensured that the films made it to the end of the series without becoming unbearable.  

Unsurprisingly a fair number of Potterverse characters got a vote or two. Here are the ones that missed the top 250:

Dobby - 400th

McGonagall - 468th

Prof Lupin - 749th

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Stopping there for a bit. 

But as a preview, Hermione is the first of 5 straight female characters that cover multiple decades, mediums, and genres. They are then followed by a character that would probably try to sleep with all of them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

I am one of those uncultured swines that believes that the acting in black and white cinema is never good. Except for Casablanca that is.

Do you think they mix in some chemicals into the black and white film stock that makes people act differently than they would in a color film? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1