chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

65th - Travis Bickle - Robert De Niro - Taxi Driver 

A darker take on the Andy Kaufman TV Character

Another character that will rank high on the movie quotes list. This is one of De Niro's defining roles and with Jake LaMotta ineligible and his role in ROcky and Bullwinkle sadly overlooked, this was always going to be his best shot at making the top 100.

This is Rob's only appearance in the top 100 (are still to see any actor make it on here twice), his only other votes were for King of Comedy (272nd) and MEan Streets (483rd)

• Like 10

64th - Jesse Wallace - Ethan Hunt Hawke - Before Series

The Linklater story that made making Boyhood look like it was written in a weekend.

It's a series that averages 97% on Rotten Tomatoes and has a massive cult following both on this site and in the wider great beyond. One of 7 remaining characters to receive less than 6 votes, another sign of getting strong support from a small group of voters. 

Personally I was hoping to see Dewey Finn fly the Linklater flag on this list.

• Like 10

63rd - Batman - Christian Bale - Batman

All Hail the creator of the Batvoice

The man who resurrected the Batman name from the Clooney ummm... era. We got a great actor playing Bruce and it led to what to many is the most popular era of Batman cinema. There are other factions in this fight of course but to a special sector (who may or may not be minor fans of the director), Bale is the definitive Batman, and it is certainly true that for about 2.3 films, he was pretty great. 

• Like 10

62nd - Spiderman - Tom Holland - Spiderman

I don't wanna make a comment, please I don't want to, I don't want to make a comment, I don't...

After the abominable Amazing Spiderman 2, I was kind of ready to let Spiderman be for a decade or so. Sony however had other ideas and brought him back about 4 weeks later as a Marvel character. They even did the crazy action of hiring a young person to play a high schooler!

It worked out well though as this new Spiderman has already shot into people's hearts and if he continues on his current path will likely only finish higher on future lists. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 3

61st - Hudson - Bill Paxton - Aliens

Well that's game over for this list now... put a pin in it, it's done.

So the march of Cameron returns to this list and one of two remaining characters to have made it this far with only 4 votes (can you possibly guess who may have directed the other 4 vote wonder? 😜 ). 

Bill Paxton is great and it's good to see him get some votes from somewhere (should have been his role in Casper though ;)), he is another that will likely have a presence in the top movie quote list and does give one of the best films ever made a little bit more representation.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

61st - Hudson - Bill Paxton - Aliens

Well that's game over for this list now... put a pin in it, it's done.

So the march of Cameron returns to this list and one of two remaining characters to have made it this far with only 4 votes (can you possibly guess who may have directed the other 4 vote wonder? 😜 ). 

Bill Paxton is great and it's good to see him get some votes from somewhere (should have been his role in Casper though ;)), he is another that will likely have a presence in the top movie quote list and does give one of the best films ever made a little bit more representation.

HUDSON!

Only 4 votes? Hmmm. Suppose Ripley is more iconic but Hudson is such a great character. Another Jim character only 4 voted for? Sounds good.

• Like 2

60th - E.T - Some Puppet of some description, there seems to be differing opinions so I'm just gonna throw Frank Oz's hat into the mix for the hell of it - E.T

In the Special Edition, E.T walkie Talkies home instead. 

This is a film that will make a lot of lists; best score, best quote, best film, etc. I was not expecting it to get a mention here though (but then again I am one of the 4 people out there to consider this to be one of Spielberg's two bad films [the other one also involved a non-human title character].)

Regardless of my personal opinion though, this is a film that resonates for so many people that were children at some point in their lives and clearly they all fell in love with the garbly puppet alien enough that he/she commands a powerful place in many hearts. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2

Spoiler

99th - Jake Gittes - Jack Nicholson - Chinatown
99th - Legolas - Orlando Bloom - Lord of the Rings and Stuff
98th - Major Clive Candy - Roger Livesey - The Life and Death of Col. Blimp.
97th - Norma Desmond - Gloria Swanson - Sunset Boulevard
96th - Katniss Everdeen - Jennifer Lawrence - Hunger Games
95th - Morpheus - Laurence Fishburne - The Matrix
94th - Wall E - Ben Burtt - Wall E
93rd - Genie - Robin Williams - Aladdin
92nd - Shrek - Mike Myers - Shrek
91st - Frodo - Elijah Wood - Lord of the Rings
90th - The T-1000 - Robert Patrick - Terminator 2
8 9th - Professor X - Patrick Stewart - X Me n
88th - Jake Sully - Sam Worthington - Avatar
87th - Tyler Durden - Brad Pitt - Fight Club
86th - Agent Smith - Hugo Weaving - The Matrix
85th - John Connor - Edward Furlong - Terminator 2
84th - The Bride - Uma Thurm an - Kill Bil l
83rd - Dory - Ellen DeGeneres - Fucking the Blue Fish
82nd - Kikuchiyo - Toshiro Mifune - The Seven Samurai
80th - Scarlett O Hara - Vivian Leigh - Gone With The Wind
80th - Vincent Vega - John Travolta - Pulp Fiction
79th - Laurie Strode - Jamie Lee Curtis - Halloween  
78th - Caesar - Andy Serkis - Planet of the Apes   
77th - Maximum Decimus Meridius - Russell Crowe - Gladiator
76th - Rick Blaine - Humphrey Bogart - Casablanca
75th - Hermione Granger - Emma Watson - Harry Potter
74th - Belle - Paige O Hara - Beauty and the Beast
73rd - Catwoman - Michelle Pfeiffer - Batman Returns
70th - Belle - Paige O Hara - Beauty and the Beast
70th - Catwoman - Michelle Pfeiffer - Batman Returns
70th - Mary Poppins - Julie Andrews - Mary Poppins
70th - James Bond - Daniel Craig - James Bond
68th - Ethan Hunt - Tom Cruise - Mission Impossible
68th - Aragorn- Viggo Mortenson - Lord of the Rings
67th - Wonder Woman - Gal Gadot - Wonder Woman
66th - Albus Dumbledore - Michael Gambon (Mostly) - Harry Potter
65th - Travis Bickle - Robert De Niro - Taxi Driver
64th - Jesse Wallace - Ethan Hawke - Before Series
63rd - Batman - Christian Bale - Batman
62nd - Spiderman - Tom Holland - Spiderman
61st - Hudson - Bill Paxton - Aliens
60th - E.T - Unknown Puppeteer - E.T

List so far

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, chasmmi said:

62nd - Spiderman - Tom Holland - Spiderman

I don't wanna make a comment, please I don't want to, I don't want to make a comment, I don't...

Greatest lip sync that show has ever or will ever produce. I gag every time.  I think I have watched it like 100 times. Thank you for including!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Laurie Strode (Halloween-78) at #79...

not looking good then for the other horror characters.

Michael Myers likely voted under Laurie Strode.  Freddy and Jason possibly voted under Michael.

Hannibal Lecter and Norman Bates (Psycho) might still have a shot as showing up depending on how villains were weighed in with voting.

I had a hard time weighing heroes and villains in such a list.  The character list for me was just trying to dodge a personal character analysis by mixing it up.

56 minutes ago, dX airdry zid said:

Laurie Strode (Halloween-78) at #79...

not looking good then for the other horror characters.

Michael Myers likely voted under Laurie Strode.  Freddy and Jason possibly voted under Michael.

Hannibal Lecter and Norman Bates (Psycho) might still have a shot as showing up depending on how villains were weighed in with voting.

I had a hard time weighing heroes and villains in such a list.  The character list for me was just trying to dodge a personal character analysis by mixing it up.

Still expect Sarah Connor and Ripley to show up (and I know people often see The Terminator as "not horror"), still Ripley showing up in the top 10 confirms her as greatest horror protag. 

39 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Still expect Sarah Connor and Ripley to show up (and I know people often see The Terminator as "not horror"), still Ripley showing up in the top 10 confirms her as greatest horror protag. 

Sometimes i think people conflate horror and slasher

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Sometimes i think people conflate horror and slasher

Laurie Strode and the "neighboring Halloween mayhem" is likely a niche category when looking at "scream queens" in film. 

There is only so many, and they can be remade quickly now. 

The sci-fi/horror overlap with Ripley and Sarah Connor as heroine's would overshadow any of the "regular" horror female protagonists in the ranks.    

59th - Dwayne Hicks - Michael Biehn - Aliens

Future star of Alien 5

One of the most unpopular deaths in any franchise and it happened off screen between films. Hicks is notable for being one fo the few human males to survive an Alien film. Biehn seems to be one of Cameron's go to guys (especially in a military capacity and this was, perhaps not his most prominent role, but the one least overshadowed by other characters from a franchise. 

For the record, Kyle Reese missed the list in 140th place. 

• Like 7
  • Astonished 2