chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

1 minute ago, chasmmi said:

59th - Dwayne Hicks - Michael Biehn - Aliens

Future star of Alien 5

One of the most unpopular deaths in any franchise and it happened off screen between films. Hicks is notable for being one fo the few human males to survive an Alien film. Biehn seems to be one of Cameron's go to guys (especially in a military capacity and this was, perhaps not his most prominent role, but the one least overshadowed by other characters from a franchise. 

For the record, Kyle Reese missed the list in 140th place. 

Hicks is a chill as hell. Aliens is seriously so damn good, it's incredible to think it was made by the same man who brought us both Avatar and Titanic.

• Like 2

58th - Jack Torrance - Jack Nicholson - The Shining

THis is what happens when you choose to house-sit during Smarch.

It says a lot about Nicholson, that there is still a possibility that this is not only not the last time we see him on the list, it may not even be the last time we him him appear for playing somebody named Jack. 

This film is one of Kubrick's most popular and the role is one of Nicholson's, so seeing it appear here is neither surprising. nor unjustified. With this installment though, we finally get to see an actor appear twice on the list (Gittes crept in at 99th). Will we see any others though?

• Like 10

57th - The Xenomorph / Alien Queen - Alien - Alien

Puppets are really making themselves be heard on this list.

The Xenomorph beat E.T. how bout that? Does that make it the top film alien (non-human monster alien I mean), There is a level of perfection to its design that makes the xenomorph something on another level to most generic monsters. It both looks cool, but also terrifying and the way it is evolved and altered over franchise installments is great. 

Even when the film is questionable, the xenomorph rarely disappoints.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

56th - Woody - Tom Hanks - Toy Story

Actually not his real name, just the pet name that Bo Peep gave him.

Another great animated character up next and one that began life as the villain of his own story before rewrites made him the hero. Pixar really struck gold when they landed Hanks to play this role as it really is one of his most underrated performances in an insane discography of performances. 

It is mad to think that only three of his roles got any votes of any description. I wonder where they end up....

• Like 9
  • Disbelief 1

55th - Neo - Keanu Reeves - THe Matrix

I never used a spoon again after this film showed me that they don't exist.

THe third and final appearance from Matrix characters on this list and it is from the main man, Neo himself. TO think that this was originally planned as a Will Smith role, I can only imagined how different that could have turned out. Even so, this is a role that seems made for Reeves' confused dude persona and it is no more than this one great film deserved. 

Trinity just missed the list in 140th.

• Like 8

54th - Celine - Julie Delpy - Before Series

Her heart did indeed go on for about 14 years

The other half of the before duo comes in about 10 places above her male counterpart. Both received an equal number of votes, but there were just a couple of points here and there that proved the difference as most voters places the her slightly above the him. 

This was a trilogy driven by characters and both those characters made the list comfortably.

• Like 8

The Xenomorph has to be the greatest monster/alien of all time, it looks both horrifying and disturbing. Giger is a genius and created something truly special. Then there's Jim's Alien queen was a great addition giving us the epic "get away from her you BITCH"

kinda nsfw Giger artwork and inspiration/creation of the xenomorph

Spoiler

gr-giger.jpg

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

53rd - Jason Vorhees - Big Bloke With Sword - Friday the 13th

A machete wielding maniac in a hockey mask...isn't that just an average NHL player?

To think this character began as some scrawny kid hiding in a lake while Mommy did all the hard work eh... Vorhees is one of the Holy Trinity of slasher villains. As with many things, there are strong fans of all of them and Jason himself has a big backer or two on this forum.

He is one of those characters that is more about the aura and the atmosphere built around him with each installment than the specific actor underneath the mask (or bag) at any given time. But he is an iconic character none the less. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, LonePirate said:

I am starting to wonder if we will see the full results of this poll before it is time to conduct the 2019 edition of the top movie characters.

Good thing it happens every two years then. Means I can slow it down to half speed now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2018 at 7:59 AM, chasmmi said:

61st - Hudson - Bill Paxton - Aliens

Well that's game over for this list now... put a pin in it, it's done.

So the march of Cameron returns to this list and one of two remaining characters to have made it this far with only 4 votes (can you possibly guess who may have directed the other 4 vote wonder? 😜 ). 

Bill Paxton is great and it's good to see him get some votes from somewhere (should have been his role in Casper though ;)), he is another that will likely have a presence in the top movie quote list and does give one of the best films ever made a little bit more representation.

Way too fucking low.  I hang my head in shame.  He should have been top 25.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

53rd - Jason Vorhees - Big Bloke With Sword - Friday the 13th

A machete wielding maniac in a hockey mask...isn't that just an average NHL player?

To think this character began as some scrawny kid hiding in a lake while Mommy did all the hard work eh... Vorhees is one of the Holy Trinity of slasher villains. As with many things, there are strong fans of all of them and Jason himself has a big backer or two on this forum.

He is one of those characters that is more about the aura and the atmosphere built around him with each installment than the specific actor underneath the mask (or bag) at any given time. But he is an iconic character none the less. 

I'm honestly surprised and thrilled that he made it.  He doesn't speak and really doesn't do much of anything except kill.  

My favourite actor to play Jason is Ted White from The Final Chapter and Richard Booker from 3.  Both were miles better than Kane Hodder, who imho ruined Jason.  He turned him into a heavy breathing zombie and all the nuance and mystery of Jason was gone.  

Thanks to the members who voted for Jason.  Good to see him here.

17 hours ago, LonePirate said:

I am starting to wonder if we will see the full results of this poll before it is time to conduct the 2019 edition of the top movie characters.

Chas has the summer game

Participates in Survivor

And oh yea, has a life outside the forums.  

He'll get to this when he can.  Don't be such a downer.  

• Like 2

My top 25 FWIW @JamesCameronScholar

1) Indiana Jones

2) Rocky

3) Rambo

4) Darth Vader

5) The Joker- The Dark Knight

6) Ducky Dale- Pretty In Pink

7) Hudson- Aliens

😎 Ferris Bueller

9) Han Solo

10) Yoda