kayumanggi

CANDYMAN | August 27 2021

Thinking about seeing this on Monday since it will probably take longer to hit "VOD" just like Old. 

There are qualities I appreciate in the 1992 film but overall I didn't like it. I'm curious to see what the new one is, especially after the reception it's getting (mixed from my trusted critic but more positive than expected from audiences).

On 8/25/2021 at 9:06 PM, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, the reaction from the black critics (the target audience for this) definitely seem lukewarm. WW84 situation incoming? Or is it close to Joker '19?

On 8/27/2021 at 2:18 PM, excel1 said:

This SUCKED. Nobody is going to like this 

Looks like neither of these takes panned out, thankfully. Empire City reporting Saturday is up from true Friday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Candyman hits on demand this Friday in the US. 

3 weeks after theatrical and it didn’t decimate its box office takings. Why didn’t Universal do this with Halloween Kills…they could have still had it out on Peacock for Halloween itself and had the best of both worlds…

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

3 weeks after theatrical and it didn’t decimate its box office takings. Why didn’t Universal do this with Halloween Kills…they could have still had it out on Peacock for Halloween itself and had the best of both worlds…

Desperation, that's what. NBC wants their own Netflix, and they want it now. They tried to do this with Candyman '21 but Jordan Peele said no.

Hybrid releases do work when it comes to family movies like Jungle Cruise, Raya and Cruella to a lesser extent. But it kills fan-driven movies like Black Widow and Space Jam 2. Halloween Kills fits the latter bill perfectly, so it'll open to okay numbers and score a nice 69% drop for the second weekend because everyone aside from the ultra diehards is going to pirate it (is anyone seriously going to subscribe to Peacock for it?).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Maybe the bad Venice reviews impacted their decision on Halloween?

But most likely, they're desperate for Peacock to stay relevant after the Olympics so they're heaving one final Hail Mary

I doubt this kind of deal with the talent was agreed over the space of a few days (Venice reviews to announcement). 

So no, not because of the Venice reaction. 

• Like 1