YM!

Weekend Thread 9/28-9/30: Night School $1.35M, Smallfoot $850K Thursday Previews

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Get Hard - 1.8M in March 2015

Girls Trip - 1.7M in July last year

Ride Along 1 - 1M in January 2014

I'd say high 20's to 30M+ seems a decent bet imho, and I wouldn't discard 35M based on these numbers.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Runtimes without credits and trailer attachments for next week's releases:

A Star Is Born: 2:12. Attachments unknown (The Mule and Fantastic Beasts?)

The Hate U Give: 2:07. Attachments unknown (Widows and Bohemian Rhapsody seem like good bets)

Venom: 1:36. Attachments unknown (Holmes and Spider-Verse?)

Pretty good for Night School, considering most comparable titles were winter or summer titles. It should do about $30 million or so opening weekend which is profitable.

not bad for Smallfoot, family movies have been dead for 2 months. So north of $20 million is likely, hopefully mid to high $20 millions. 

Edited by Maxmoser3

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Only 10k ahead of House despite starting three hours earlier. Hmmm.

Don't forget that the bestseller book-based and horror-themed House would probably skew a lot more adults on Thursday night than an original animated family comedy like Smallfoot. It did about 2x as much as Storks did, and Storks hit up 21M with a 30M+ opener as competition (Magnificent 7). Granted, Storks started at 6PM and this started at 4PM, but I'd still say this is an encouraging sign for about 25M or something in those lines.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Alli said:

Pretty good. Kevin Hart is consistent in the Us. He delivers the hits. Too bad he has no following OS. He's no eddie murphy

He’s pretty big in the UK. Don’t know about non-English speaking countries though.

• Like 1

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Don't forget that the bestseller book-based and horror-themed House would probably skew a lot more adults on Thursday night than an original animated family comedy like Smallfoot. It did about 2x as much as Storks did, and Storks hit up 21M with a near-30M opener as competition (Miss Peregrine). Granted, Storks started at 6PM and this started at 4PM, but I'd still say this is an encouraging sign for about 25M or something in those lines.

Underpants ($650K/$21.1M) and Emoji ($900K/$24M) started at 5:00. TTG had $1M at 4:00 but ending at $10M OW

I imagine Smallfoot will be much younger skewing than House anyways so it’s good.

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Underpants ($650K/$21.1M) and Emoji ($900K/$24M) started at 5:00. TTG had $1M at 4:00 but ending at $10M OW

I imagine Smallfoot will be much younger skewing than House anyways so it’s good.

Those were all Summer movies, though. Underpants was June, Titans and Emoji were July. Summer previews are always going to be inflated and more frontloaded, including for kids movies, since kids were out of school. I'd call Smallfoot being close to Emoji numbers a good omen, if anything.

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

He’s pretty big in the UK. Don’t know about non-English speaking countries though.

The majority of his life action films skew domestic. The exceptions were Jumanji and Central Intelligence with the latter having a 60-40 split and the former having a 40-60 split (But I think that has to do with The Rock being in those films :ph34r:). Although in recent years the international split has gone up. For example: Ride Along was at 90-10, The Wedding Ringer was 80-20, Get Hard was 80-20, Ride Along 2 was 75-25.  

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

A Star Is Born: 2:12. Attachments unknown (The Mule and Fantastic Beasts?)

I would've gone Aquaman Trailer #2 where it's just a montage of Jason Momoa shirtless, tbh.  

• Haha 1

Solid for both Night School and Smallfoot, the latter's previews bode well for it doing mid 20 to 30 OW and could potentially be their first non Lego movie to crack $100m which would be a win for WAG and encourage them to develop more original films, they currently don't have any in the pipeline with Lego Movie 2 next year and Scooby Doo in 2020