CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

I'm a big fantasy reader, I read dozens of fantasy books a year and, honestly, this is one of my all time favorites, right up there with Robin Hobb's books. I never would have dreamed that this movie would be seeing the light of the day with such an amazing cast. God, this is going to be incredible.

On 4/15/2016 at 10:00 AM, Arlborn said:

I'm a big fantasy reader, I read dozens of fantasy books a year and, honestly, this is one of my all time favorites, right up there with Robin Hobb's books. I never would have dreamed that this movie would be seeing the light of the day with such an amazing cast. God, this is going to be incredible.

But Sony. crying face

Obviously this adaptation's gonna be making changes in terms of who appears in this first movie, but announcing Abbey Lee as "one of the leads", when she's (apparently) playing someone who was a minor character in the seventh book alone is... odd. Maybe they chose to amp up that character and have her be a composite of various other evil characters?

If Susannah's not announced for this or the next one, though, this version's probably dead to me.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Obviously this adaptation's gonna be making changes in terms of who appears in this first movie, but announcing Abbey Lee as "one of the leads", when she's (apparently) playing someone who was a minor character in the seventh book alone is... odd. Maybe they chose to amp up that character and have her be a composite of various other evil characters?

If Susannah's not announced for this or the next one, though, this version's probably dead to me.

Yeah, I don't get this either. Sue we can wait regarding Susannah as she doesn't even appear on the first book but why the hell cast a character who barely has a line in the books as one of the leads? What the hell is going on here, did they figure that they had to have a female lead for this or it wouldn't appeal to women or something?? That sounds like wacky Hollywood decision making bound to fail, seriously.

The first book is perfect to make into a movie, it almost writes itself as a freaking script, don't fuck it up Sony, just keep it simple, why is that so hard?

• Like 1

Just now, Arlborn said:

Yeah, I don't get this either. Sue we can wait regarding Susannah as she doesn't even appear on the first book but why the hell cast a character who barely has a line in the books as one of the leads? What the hell is going on here, did they figure that they had to have a female lead for this or it wouldn't appeal to women or something?? That sounds like wacky Hollywood decision making bound to fail, seriously.

The first book is perfect to make into a movie, it almost writes itself as a freaking script, don't fuck it up Sony, just keep it simple, why is that so hard?

Actually, I completely get thinking out of the box for the whole franchise. Because, let's face it, aside from the core couple of characters, there's not a lot of continuity between the early books (written by King when he was young) and the last three (written thirty years later). So if the adapting team thinks it's a good idea to take a character (or characters) from the later books and get them involved in the first movie, so that they have greater heft, meaning, and context when they show up later... that's great! And, in fact, that's exactly the sort of thing you should do when you're adapting a series of books to the screen.

But if you ignore or change one of the key characters -- someone who's a striking and powerful character who also happens to be a minority woman (with that identity being the core of her being) -- that's really troubling.

There's been no mention of her so far, so I'm assuming they're saving her for the sequel (which makes sense). But we'll see.

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Actually, I completely get thinking out of the box for the whole franchise. Because, let's face it, aside from the core couple of characters, there's not a lot of continuity between the early books (written by King when he was young) and the last three (written thirty years later). So if the adapting team thinks it's a good idea to take a character (or characters) from the later books and get them involved in the first movie, so that they have greater heft, meaning, and context when they show up later... that's great! And, in fact, that's exactly the sort of thing you should do when you're adapting a series of books to the screen.

But if you ignore or change one of the key characters -- someone who's a striking and powerful character who also happens to be a minority woman (with that identity being the core of her being) -- that's really troubling.

There's been no mention of her so far, so I'm assuming they're saving her for the sequel (which makes sense). But we'll see.

OK, I guess I can see your point but still, do you have any idea how much potential there is for fuck-ups when doing something like this? Writing a completely new lead can go so wrong.

Regarding the minority woman, how will that plot-line even work now that Roland himself is black? I just don't see it.

3 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

OK, I guess I can see your point but still, do you have any idea how much potential there is for fuck-ups when doing something like this? Writing a completely new lead can go so wrong.

Regarding the minority woman, how will that plot-line even work now that Roland himself is black? I just don't see it.

There's huge potential for fuck-ups no matter what you do. Might as well try to make the best on-screen franchise you can. The books are not unalterable texts.

In terms of Susannah,

do you not recognize how vital her back story is? Being a successful black woman in the Deep South, in the 60s, and having that status be the reason why she's crippled, and how her handicap both ruins her and then brings her strength, once she's redeemed?

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

There's huge potential for fuck-ups no matter what you do. Might as well try to make the best on-screen franchise you can. The books are not unalterable texts.

In terms of Susannah,

Hide contents

do you not recognize how vital her back story is? Being a successful black woman in the Deep South, in the 60s, and having that status be the reason why she's crippled, and how her handicap both ruins her and then brings her strength, once she's redeemed?

Meh, you make good points but I'm still very distrustful of the direction it all seems to be going. I'll wait before making more judgements but I will remain skeptical for now.

• Like 2