sfran43

Monday Numbers

CRA OS is absolutely abysmal. I knew it would bomb in Asia cause they have 1000 movies and TV shows like that, but holy cow the rest of the world. Though thanks to only 30M budget it doesn't need OS to save the day for sequels. Still, damn. 

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

CRA OS is absolutely abysmal. I knew it would bomb in Asia cause they have 1000 movies and TV shows like that, but holy cow the rest of the world. Though thanks to only 30M budget it doesn't need OS to save the day for sequels. Still, damn. 

Contrary to popular belief, people outside the US are just as - or in my experience, even more - racist than people in the US. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Contrary to popular belief, people outside the US are just as - or in my experience, even more - racist than people in the US. 

I don't think that's the reason in this case. The movie simply has no stars and most romcoms that do well OS have at least 1 big star. Also, maybe the book wasn't big OS? Wedding Crashers was ridiculously big hit in US (why?) and did abysmal OS (did anyone know who Vince Vaughn was? or care?) 

13 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

France fucking sucks. I’m never going back.

CRA didn’t really underperform OS. For a English language romcom with no huge megastars in 2018 $60m is great. 

I still maintain that WB completely dropped the ball with the UK release. Promo started alongside the US release (magazine interviews, front page coverage, internet hype and videos, book stores promoting the novel), you could’ve easily thought the thing was releasing the same day as the US. WB moved the film up by a month but by then it was too late. The whole thing was extraordinary.

Edited by AJG

Truthfully there is nothing unique about CRA's story at all to people outside the English speaking countries. People who would be interested in that kind of thing would just watch the hundreds of Asian TV dramas that have the same plot.. the only difference with CRA is that it's in English and has an American cast... and like why would that make it any more appealing to someone from Spain or India.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Truthfully there is nothing unique about CRA's story at all to people outside the English speaking countries. People who would be interested in that kind of thing would just watch the hundreds of Asian TV dramas that have the same plot.. the only difference with CRA is that it's in English and has an American cast... and like why would that make it any more appealing to someone from Spain or India.

I mean there's nothing really unique about CRA to English speaking countries as well. It's just an exceptionally well-made rom com with the tried and true formula, with exotic-ish locales for Western audiences.

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I mean there's nothing really unique about CRA to English speaking countries as well. It's just an exceptionally well-made rom com with the tried and true formula, with exotic-ish locales for Western audiences.

Well the Asian-American/1st generation immigrant perspective is the main selling point, which again, isn't really something that's going to stand out to a foreign audience.

• Like 1

Just now, fabiopazzo2 said:

Holiday??? Is huuge 0.0

yep, yesterday was a holiday.  Columbus/Indigenous people day in the US and Thanksgiving in Canada

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Small foot 1st Monday barely grossed $1M. So I guess the holiday is affecting Monday's #, and we'll be seeing a big drop come Tuesday.

true

2017:

Title                                            Monday
          10/9

Tuesday
       10/10

THE LEGO NINJAGO MOVIE   
Warner Bros.

$1,904,661

-20.1% / $527
$45,980,798 / 18
$558,316