baumer

Halloween (2018)

Grade it  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

12 hours ago, RichWS said:

Decent enough in the moment, but the plot holes and excessive comedy breaks were pretty rough. Completely falls apart when you start thinking about it.

The whole sandwich bit with the cops just as Michael reaches Laurie's house....why are we doing this now? So strange.

I hear you. Americans and their need to infuse comedy in everything. 

15 hours ago, RichWS said:

The whole sandwich bit with the cops just as Michael reaches Laurie's house....why are we doing this now? So strange.

I think it is both Comic relief and trying to create attachment toward character for some stake toward audience would they die or not, like the babysitter-little dude (much better) moment.

I feel like there is quite the gap if you put comic relief in your horror movie and if you do not commercially. I think that why they also pushed the gore in such a ridiculous over the top way, with the head exploding with a kick, turning it into comedy more than horror.

On 10/20/2018 at 10:56 PM, ddddeeee said:

The last twenty minutes made it all worth it.

Lots of people are seriously going to hate this.

Why would people "seriously hate" it? It is your standard slasher movie (albeit a well made one). There is nothing offensive or out there about it. Maybe if that crazy doctor had "become" Michael Myers, some people would lose their shit. Btw, did we really need another raving doctor in this franchise...

I thought it was pretty solid. Highlights for me included the last 20 min and JC's score.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:47 AM, RichWS said:

Decent enough in the moment, but the plot holes and excessive comedy breaks were pretty rough. Completely falls apart when you start thinking about it.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:19 PM, Cmasterclay said:

It was entertaining enough in the reason with a quite good ensemble and some nice shots/scares, but this was really sorta bad for many of the reasons Rich outlined. Also his body count is like 40 people when it was 4 in the original Halloween. Disgustingly gory and senseless and cruel, Hostel like violence and gore. Gross. The kind of slasher movie that reminded me why I don't like slasher movies. 

Basically this (though I disagree on the gore; that head stomp was awesome). It's a fine watch but the most vanilla Halloween revival that could've been made. The clash between gritty horror movie and horror comedy didn't work at all. The kid being babysat was fucking hilarious and reminded me of some prime Eastbound and Down, but basically all the other humor felt extremely forced. The appeal of crazy Laurie lost its luster pretty fast too. Maybe it's because marketing gave so much away? Idk. This was my most anticipated movie for the rest of the year, but I was pretty disappointed by it. 7/10 | B-

Ok I saw it a second time and I think I can figure out how I feel about the film.

I definitely liked it better the second time but it does have some flaws.  The twist with the doctor is just outright awful, not to mention I saw it coming from about the second time I saw him on screen.  The granddaughter has almost no point in the movie and her just running in the forest was pretty pointless, as well.  well most of the teenagers were useless, but they had to be there to get it all going so I can get past that.  Michael not killing Allyson in the truck made no sense either.  I'm sure there is more, but now I rather focus on the positives

The score was great, as expected since Carpenter was involved again.  The loud guitar riffs were freaky.

I loved a lot of the nods to the other films and two of the best ones, for me,  were when Michael looked down after tossing Laurie out the window and she was gone and the music hit like the end of the first film.  My first crowd went nuts for that.  Her face just appearing in the doorway like the first film with Michael was great too.

The kid, Julian, was hilarious and he got laughs at both my showings.

I liked the backyard scene with the motion detector lights more after I saw it the second time.

Wish they didn't give the closet scene away in the trailers as it was probably the biggest scare in the film.

Overall, one of the better sequels in the franchise, which I know isn't saying much, but I mean it in a good way.

I probably give it at least a B, possible B+

I just hope they don't do the cop out of Michael getting out of the basement.  After the first time you see the fire and they do a wide shot of the place going up and they show the basement, he is gone.  I get it's a cheap way of setting up a possible next movie, but at this point, let it all die and just start over if you want the franchise to continue.  I could even see a bit of set up using the granddaughter kind of like they were going to do after part 4 with his niece.  I don't want that either.

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 1