WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

9 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The question is...who cares enough to write mini essays about rap music in a sword and sandals trailer?

Not me.  I wrote a mini essay on orchestral music in sword and sandals movies. 😛 

(and even that "mini" essay was pretty mini for me 😉)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

Still curious how this is going to end given what happened to Caracella in the real history.

Hide contents

He was killed in a coup staged by his own generals who though he was leading the Empire to ruin. As it was, Caracella reign started what historians call 'The Crisis Of The Third Century" when the Roman Empire came very ,very, close to falling  two hundred years before it did fall.

I also see with the "Gladiator's Rebellion" angle, Scott will be paying his homage to Kubrick's  "Spartacus" still, IMHO< the best Roman Empire movie of them all.

What do you think of the depiction of Caracalla in this (at least from what little we can tell from the trailer)?

17 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I made my account nine years before you made yours, but I actually have things going on in reality. You oughta use that as inspiration. Nevertheless, this is the bust that is going to engender mass psychosis amongst posters on here. It is going to be 100x worse than Furiosa 

I wasn't referring to you.

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Wouldn’t conservatives be more likely to like the song, given that it’s Kanye? Or do they hate him now? 

Pretty sure age is a bigger factor when it comes to liking or disliking rap.

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Never denied that conservatives have a long-standing stigma against rap. I just thought they were willing to make exceptions for the rappers who say what they want to hear. 

This really isn't something that needs to be political. Everyone from all poltical ends knows Kanye is a laughing stock.

5 hours ago, Human said:

All of us who care about movies have accepted that they are made by hardcore liberals years ago. 

This. It's clearly harder for conservative people in hollywood to go as far in todays world and it's had a noticable effect on attendance. It's why a Top Gun Maverick is rare but when it happens, it's everyone's favourite film of the year.  When a film goes further to the right like American Sniper or Sound of Freedom, there tends to be far more outrage but the numbers tend to be good

• Like 2

5 hours ago, emoviefan said:

God I want to say so much but I won't.

This is a very common thought lately since the pandemic but It's less a poltical thing and more a noticable downtrend on quality thing. This year will clearly be a huge bounce back for Disney though

• Like 1

People can not like the Jay Z song but it's fake outrage because Gladiator 1 was heavily promoted with Kid Rock.   I was alive, I was there.   If Gladiator can have Kid Rock than Gladiator 2 can have Jay Z.   There was Zero outrage for Kid Rock being in those trailers because the average movie watcher doesn't give a damn about Trailer music. 

Nobody saw those Kid Rock trailer was like "Why is there a rap rock song in Rome".  Instead they were like, "what is this new Gladiator movie coming out".   Most trailers use the same music anyway.  This is clearly being overblown with people who have nothing better to do with their lives. Also Jay-Z did an album based on Ridley's "American Gangster".  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 3

No one knows that song is Kanye or Lil Nas X. They didn't put Billie Jean on that. Are we really talking about the reaction cause is Kanye or Eminem. Some people just didn't like the idea of modern music on that and they would have loved to have the original score.

That's all. I mean for most people (i hope). Then there are people hating specifically on rap music and disliking the trailer on youtube because of Denzel and we know how it's called. 

Edited by vale9001

46 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

People can not like the Jay Z song but it's fake outrage because Gladiator 1 was heavily promoted with Kid Rock.   I was alive, I was there.   If Gladiator can have Kid Rock than Gladiator 2 can have Jay Z.   There was Zero outrage for Kid Rock being in those trailers because the average movie watcher doesn't give a damn about Trailer music. 

Nobody saw those Kid Rock trailer was like "Why is there a rap rock song in Rome".  Instead they were like, "what is this new Gladiator movie coming out".   Most trailers use the same music anyway.  This is clearly being overblown with people who have nothing better to do with their lives. Also Jay-Z did an album based on Ridley's "American Gangster".  

Well they didn’t have the internet to air their thoughts to be fair. So we can’t say whether people were fine with it or not.
Kid Rock is also s pain in the ass lol

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Well they didn’t have the internet to air their thoughts to be fair. So we can’t say whether people were fine with it or not.
Kid Rock is also s pain in the ass lol

Man people do not make a big deal about Trailer music.   They used James Horner's "Aliens" Score in the 1,000 trailers.   I'm sorry but this whole thing feels like an overblown internet thing.  Just my opinion.   Also the internet is filled with "BOTS" on Youtube and social media so again sorry if I don't take this whole thing seriously. 

I'm not saying people don't have an opinion but nobody gives a damn about Trailer music.   Trailer music can be good or bad, modern or classical.  Trailers as I said have used other people's scores.  Why I'm I hearing Aliens music in every action movie trailer, lol from 1990-2005.   But has never made or brake a movie's prospects. 

Edited by filmscholar

I did like the footage of the trailer.

But as a trailer guy, it was indeed a awful choice. This ain't a superhero movie and this movie is the rare case of having a very popular soundtrack a pieces of epic music. It's just...it just feels like such a massive missed opportunity to really get everyone on board and just have a better trailer period. We're talking about the trailer, not the movie.

In the end it might not matter but it does feel like a big fumble in marketing. They could have gone the modern way in the 2nd trailer, not the 1st. But again. I'm nitpicking. I really like and care about trailers, sometimes more than the actual movies. And this felt like a poor marketing choice and start.

Edited by justnumbers
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

But.... c'mon now.  If one minor inclusion of one piece of fairly modern music in one flipping trailer is the difference between this movie succeeding or dying, then this movie was already on extremely shaky ground.  Enough so that literally anything else coming along would have tipped it over instead. 

I know this isn't A Knights' Tale thread but I promise this sort of relates. 

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Then again, to this day I remember the insane backlash to A Knight's Tale, so some people getting agitated (or more likely "agitated") over this is pretty much a tempest in a teapot. Forgotten about in relatively short order and ultimately mattering... Not. At. All.

On that point, we actually have the pre/post super bowl polling for a knight's tale and it's fine. There's genuinely something real in the online outrage there (the intentional anachronisms speak directly to the film's choice of genre) but it's obviously overstated. Paramount's going to have actual polling to look at instead of just relying on internet vibes in any case. 

OTOH, because of insanely illegal stuff, we also just directly have access to a Knight's Tale internal (tv trailer spot) data and they really do reinforce the idea that  something real in that film's trailer reactions. When tv spots chose to focus on humor it served to "dilute the action" and the music scores are noted as being weak. 

43 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

While i do think there’s racism over this flood of rage comments over a stupid song on YouTube, i decided to not say anything and start a discussion. 

But maybe we should

I dont think it race 

I think it is why pick that over the gladiator theme which is a very well known theme...its has 100s of millions of views on youtube and be honest nostalgia sells so it makes zero sense from a marketing perspective. 

but idk americans like to make everything about race XD

I am sure you put a taylor swift song it been the same issue.

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

While i do think there’s racism over this flood of rage comments over a stupid song on YouTube, i decided to not say anything and start a discussion. 

But maybe we should

I think it's simply because there are many more eyes on Gladiator than there were on Napoleon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I think it's simply because there are many more eyes on Gladiator than there were on Napoleon.

I think many just wanted a nostalgia trip with the gladiator theme playing in a trailer and they got denied that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Napoleon trailer has 37M views and nearly 400k likes. That movie had a lot of buzz before the eventual bad reviews hurt it.

Trailers stats on YouTube was consistently above Gladiator 2, and yet no backlash over the white rock song.