WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

This insanity sounds way more interesting than whatever serious thing i though they would do

The best thing about Napoleon was the stupid comedy all over it´s first half, if Ridley can make epic dumb fun with this he should be fine

I don't see how dumb fun sequel to such a beloved movie is fine, it's gonna flop even harder if it's as mediocre as Napoleon.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I don't see how dumb fun sequel to such a beloved movie is fine, it's gonna flop even harder if it's as mediocre as Napoleon.

Ridley will be fine

He has produced mostly flops in the last decade, yet still gets $150m-$200m budgets handed to a silver platter, because he's Ridley Scott. Even if this a panned flop I don't see why that wouldn't continue.

• Like 1

I enjoy a little dumb fun, but more and more that seems to be what our amovie ging choicec are limited to.

And I expect something more then dumb fun for the sequel to Glaidator.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Ridley will be fine

He has produced mostly flops in the last decade, yet still gets $150m-$200m budgets handed to a silver platter, because he's Ridley Scott. Even if this a panned flop I don't see why that wouldn't continue.

Absolutely, it could be Heaven's Gate flop and he would still get another 100+ mln budget next day, he's invincible.

Description of the footage sounds good but trusting Sir Ridley at this point is like Charlie Brown trusting Lucy with the football. Great visuals mean nothing. He can do that in his sleep and often seems to now. A great story would be nice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

Napoleon is mediocre because the movie is a snoozefest past it´s first half, i´m not expecting the same here clearly. 

And honestly, this is a beloved movie but it doesn´t have fanbase and people actively overanalyzing it, i´m sure most people from general audiences would be fine with dumb fun if it´s you know... good and well made 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Napoleon is mediocre because the movie is a snoozefest past it´s first half, i´m not expecting the same here clearly. 

And honestly, this is a beloved movie but it doesn´t have fanbase and people actively overanalyzing it, i´m sure most people from general audiences would be fine with dumb fun if it´s you know... good and well made 

“Dumb fun” would be a huge downgrade from a Best Picture winner and an epic. If it’s nothing more than dumb fun I could easily see the general audience rejecting it. The only real draws would be the name (which isn’t enough) and Denzel Washington.

That action film with The Rock and Chris Evans comes out a week earlier for dumb fun.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Speedorito said:

“Dumb fun” would be a huge downgrade from a Best Picture winner and an epic. If it’s nothing more than dumb fun I could easily see the general audience rejecting it. The only real draws would be the name (which isn’t enough) and Denzel Washington.

That action film with The Rock and Chris Evans comes out a week earlier for dumb fun.

Yeah this needs to be way better than dumb fun. The original is a stone cold classic and is way  more than dumb fun.

7 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I haven't seen many people praising first half, I thought second half was much better, outside of cool opening scene first act has frankenstein monster editing, just complete mess.

Edited by Firepower

10 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I get the impression that this is the biggest wildcard of the year. 

Yeah nostalgia is hell of a drug

There many times where subpar sequels to all time classic films crash or become super hits.

I do feel like given how stacked the back half of the year will ultimately likely be with adult Oscar contenders, this is gonna need to be a lot more than dumb fun to justify the reported investment in it. Maybe that doesn't mean a whole lot to Ridley himself who has pretty much been riding on his reputation the last couple decades to keep getting big budgets, but I would personally prefer this movie be a worthy, successful followup to the original that the film community evaluates retrospectively in a positive light than not.

Iorny is of course, is that the 2000 film borrows heavily from the 1964 film "Fall Of The Roman Empire". which was a massive bomb when it opened in 1964 but even before GLadiator came out had been rehabilated into one of the best of the 60's epic films.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AniNate said:

I do feel like given how stacked the back half of the year will ultimately likely be with adult Oscar contenders, this is gonna need to be a lot more than dumb fun to justify the reported investment in it. Maybe that doesn't mean a whole lot to Ridley himself who has pretty much been riding on his reputation the last couple decades to keep getting big budgets, but I would personally prefer this movie be a worthy, successful followup to the original that the film community evaluates retrospectively in a positive light than not.

What worries me about Ridley anymore is the attitude of F-k them if they don't like it and get what I was going for. I mean yeah he's 86 and earned it I guess but still it makes getting excited about his movies a real crapshoot.