WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

Yeah I'm thinking, if theres any validity to this, maybe gross costs rose to that $300m amount, but with massive tax credits, they got it down to around $220m-$250m (as the article says Paramount is alleging was the cost). That's a bit mroe plausible. But still.... How do you shoot a movie like this in 49 days (any other director would take nearly twice that many days) and get the budget that high. I just dont get it lol

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Eric Web said:

lol what is going on with these budgets these days

This is beyond insane, it's already massive flop. But Ridley doesn't care, he makes massive flops for breakfast, it won't affect him in any way just like all his other huge flops didn't and he'll get another 100-200 mln budget again this year.

40 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Didn’t the shutdowns from the strikes cost the studios a lot of money? It also got a big tax rebate in Malta.

They weren't supposed to balloon budget to this extent.

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

If this is true, then how come Paramount wants back in business with Ridley for Bee Gees?

They are under some spell.

7 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Also people definitely underestimate inflation. Both in Hollywood and in 'real life'. That definitely adds 20-30% to every single project.

It definitely adds to production costs, but I don't think this particular case has anything to do with inflation.

Edited by Firepower

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

How does a budget inflate so much to the point where it’s nearly double what was intended? 

They claimed 130M forNapoleon. But in reality it was very likely 220-230. Also Flower Moon 260-280.

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

If this is true, then how come Paramount wants back in business with Ridley for Bee Gees?

Because they're selling the studio. The same thing WBD's been doing for months. Or MGM when they gave PTA 70M to make Licorice Pizza and then sold the studio to Amazon.

1 minute ago, Alexander said:

Because they're selling the studio. The same thing WBD's been doing for months. Or MGM when they gave PTA 70M to make Licorice Pizza and then sold the studio to Amazon.

Yeah i guess it makes sense. So you really think WBD will sell, huh?

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

How does a budget inflate so much to the point where it’s nearly double what was intended? 

It likely didn't. The "$165M budget" was likely always wrong as it is clearly derived from Malta's reported tax break. So $>10M in cost overruns in Malta + the Moroccan and UK film costs + other post-production work.

I'm not sure how you get to $310M from that but I can easily see how it was actually above 200M without overages.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Ridley Scott-David Scarpa previous collaborations suggest that it's not even touching it in artistic value.

Ridley said the only reason he makes this movie is because the first one made too much money. Inspiring.