That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think like discussing different takes is interesting and fun depending on where it's coming from, I just think a lot of times online it becomes "Your opinion is wrong" rather then "This is my take on it, what's yours". I'm guilty of this myself.

yes i've also been guilty of this. i think it generally comes from when i feel i can't quite articulate what i like about it (which happens a lot, i generally take in a movie viscerally more than intellectually) and i don't feel like having my opinion of it challenged in any way but somewhat hypocritically feel like i need to challenge their differing opinion by voicing my disapproval (like a $100 million movie needs me to defend it from some rando). so i just come out with a "you're wrong. bad take. fuck off.". 

i try to be better about it. a lot now i'll just leave it alone.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

yes i've also been guilty of this. i think it generally comes from when i feel i can't quite articulate what i like about (which happens a lot, i generally take in a movie viscerally more than intellectually) and i don't feel like having my opinion of it challenged in any way but somewhat hypocritically feel like i need to challenge their differing opinion by voicing my disapproval (like a $100 million movie needs me to defend it from some rando). so i just come out with a "you're wrong. bad take. fuck off.". 

That's a pretty relatable mood. I tend to also just leave it alone now as well, maybe give some takes on twitter or in private to my friends and that's it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Talking about awards is the WORST. 🧐

I think for me it’s the combo of incessant hyperbole and the need to not only celebrate one movie, but tear another down.

Peace, love, and skybeams, friends. That’s all we need. 

This is something that gets annoying fast. I get comparing movies and pointing out things you liked in one compared to the other. But often, it’s comments about how one movie is the best ever and the other is the worst. Or just random comparisons to another franchise just so it makes the movie they’re a fan of look better in comparison. Critiquing movies is good, but acting like something that doesn’t do everything perfectly is the ‘worst’ or that something that did somethings right is ‘objectively great’ is bizzare. 

Edited by Deja23
  • Like 3

AQM is performing as expected and BB is doing better than anticipated imo.

MP missing 5-day opening expectations by 50%.

AQM's 28 OD comes with a caveat that it burned off nearly 5 in pre-previews. Very strong for December.

22.8 (+20%)

14.8 (-35%)

= 70.3 (65.6 ow)

Those pre-previews will help the movie get a little better multiplier off the ow and hoping good wom pushes it to 250 dom.

4.7 + 65.6*3.75 = 250.7

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

yes i've also been guilty of this. i think it generally comes from when i feel i can't quite articulate what i like about (which happens a lot, i generally take in a movie viscerally more than intellectually) and i don't feel like having my opinion of it challenged in any way but somewhat hypocritically feel like i need to challenge their differing opinion by voicing my disapproval (like a $100 million movie needs me to defend it from some rando). so i just come out with a "you're wrong. bad take. fuck off.". 

I’m not going to lie, I’ve been guilty of this recently and do apologize for my behavior and am trying to stop it. 

• Like 2

I've been on this site since like 2013, but didn't really start posting until this year. Weekend threads were definitely a lot more fun before, barring the occasional walls of text regarding funnybook films [tho that did lead to Tele's legendary post...], but there's been so much weird toxicity over fanboy films recently but I suppose that's a symptom of internet discourse as a whole these last few years.

• Like 5

I think if Bumblebee gets a sequel, they should certainly release it in February or March 2022 so it has breathing room. 

Aquaman I suspect will either get December 2021 as WB has a slot for a WAG film which they can easily swap or November 2021. 

Edited by Jonwo

Just now, TMP said:

I've been on this site since like 2013, but didn't really start posting until this year. Weekend threads were definitely a lot more fun before, barring the occasional walls of text regarding funnybook films [tho that did lead to Tele's legendary post...], but there's been so much weird toxicity over fanboy films recently but I suppose that's a symptom of internet discourse as a whole these last few years.

the ijacks and the kals were fun when we thought they were the novelty acts but now we know they're the trendsetters. 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Sony already confirmed it plus a Spider-Gwen spin-off.

I know. I hope both have solid increases as Spider Verse is probably my favorite movie of the year (then again I’ve only seen like 25) and I’d like some animated films that don’t look the same doing big business.

• Like 1