sfran43

Monday Numbers: Aquaman $10.95M

Mary Poppins doing awesome business over these next few days makes all the sense in the world...but it started at such a low baseline that it will still end up disappointing. 

If Vice were to hit 5m today - which is unlikely given theater count, but it's gonna have a very nice PTA from what I'm seeing - then it will do high 20s 6 day and be on pace for a very decent total in the 65-75 range. Probably would end up the highest grossing Best Picture nom outside the Star Is Born/Black Panther/Mary Poppins trio, unless Bohemian makes it in.

Holmes and Watson need 6.1m to match Parental Guidance, which would be a good holiday comedy comp for it from 2012. Seems unlikely, but if it does then 70m is obtainable, which is fine for it all things considered. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Probably would end up the highest grossing Best Picture nom outside the Star Is Born/Black Panther/Mary Poppins trio, unless Bohemian makes it in.

Rhapsody seems more likely to get in at this point

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

lol, Vice's audience score is 41%. I'm sure there's quite a few conservative trolls downvoting it, so I wouldn't read into it. Holmes is at 63% with over 500 votes tho.

More than a few. I'm not even sure why anyone is taking those scores seriously. ANYONE can say they've seen the film and haven't

• Like 3

Vice was supposed to flop because it didn't get a great RT score. The number of sold out shows tell a different story. :redcapes:

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

So anyone can give answer? Is aquaman getting 10.95m or 10.6m or 11.2m?

We won't know for sure until actuals, and experts here say they won't be released before Jan 2.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Christian Bale - Box office draw?

The times he has carried a film on his own (Out of the Furnace, The Promise) they were flops but his more prestigious projects tend to do well, even though Vice (like The Fighter, American Hustle, and The Big Short before it) was sold more as an ensemble.

Just now, Curtis1986 said:

The budget is 60 million and it won't have good WOM and with those reviews I doubt Oscar will bite.

It'll have decent WOM at the very least, and January is so barren that the Oscar contenders will be doing well. It still has a good shot at a BP nomination too because those who like it are really enjoying it and Amy Adams is probably winning Supporting Actress

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

It'll have decent WOM at the very least, and January is so barren that the Oscar contenders will be doing well. It still has a good shot at a BP nomination too because those who like it are really enjoying it and Amy Adams is probably winning Supporting Actress

Will Bale win lead? Or is that between Malek & Cooper?

Vice should hit $4-5M today which would be really good considering it’s been put in medium-to-smaller sized auditoriums for the most part (and the 130 minute running time limits the number of shows since it’s on only one screen everywhere) and is also likely selling much better in metropolitan areas than it is in Middle America.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Vice was supposed to flop because it didn't get a great RT score. The number of sold out shows tell a different story. :redcapes:

We won't know for sure until actuals, and experts here say they won't be released before Jan 2.

This is even more impressive when the studio that own it is Annapurna , which highest grossing film of all time , was just 17m 

Its been an underwhelming season for box office this Christmas however I always thought that would be the case. Alot of high profile films may have been released and people assumed one of them had to break out as it's Christmas and we had been spoilt the last few years however no-one stopped to think that there simply wasn't any new releases with enough interest to make gangbusters. Transformers has been run to the ground, no-one cares about a Anime looking Spider-Man movie, it's about as niche as they come and Mary Poppins was never doing big numbers, I tried warning people on here for months that kids don't care about singing nannies but as usual I was dismissed and as usual i was right, again. I don't want to start the whole 'I told ya so' but seeing as I was banned for 2 weeks because people can't accept the truth I'm 100% going to gloat.

In the future people, listen to Jessie

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

People are engaged with politics, the trailers were great, and even if it doesn't have a true A-list draw it has four big names plus a recent Oscar winner.  It makes sense it would do alright. Hoping for 50m+ and happy with more.

Also, I think I'm moving it into my Best Picture noms. The Globes didn't convince me but its shown up in alot of critics groups/precursors Best Picture noms and top tens. It's hit pretty much everywhere it needed to. Feels like a weird year in general. 

Outside of Glass, this January sucks ass. Everything should hold aight.

• Like 1

I've been at a lot of family get-togethers with the TV on, and Vice has seen a pretty sizable amount of ad space there. Annapurna's been pretty aggressive with their campaign, and all the awards attention have helped it offset the more mixed reactions. This might not hit Big Short numbers, but this will still do decent, and both this and Beale Street should hopefully turn things around for the company.

• Like 1