AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

I still think The Good Dinosaur will be the highest grossing movie of Summer 2014

1. Pixar's golden release date (last weekend of May) - Up and Finding Nemo both did great in this slot

2. Dinos = $$$ - little boys will automatically love it 

3. An original property - originality is always a plus during the heat of summer

4. 3 weeks all to itself - no kiddie competition until HTTYD2

5. Intriguing plot - more thought-provoking than Brave anyways  :P

Girls love dinos, too.  -_-

Or maybe it's because Up and Finding Nemo shared the same release date as Good Dinosaur (last weekend of May, right after Memorial Day) and both became HUGE hits. Not to mention dinosaurs are as popular with little boys as cars and superheroes

The release date argument is pointless. Lots of movies share the same dates, that doesnt mean the same amount of people will show up. If theres no competiton thats a plus, but Dragon 2 comes out 3 weeks later and some movies still dont do their max potential even with no competition. And no dinosuars are not in the same league as cars and heroes. Wrestling figures and Lebron James are even more popular. Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

The release date argument is pointless. Lots of movies share the same dates, that doesnt mean the same amount of people will show up. If theres no competiton thats a plus, but Dragon 2 comes out 3 weeks later and some movies still dont do their max potential even with no competition. And no dinosuars are not in the same league as cars and heroes. Wrestling figures and Lebron James are even more popular.

Boys under the age of 5 love Lebron James more than dinos, Spider-Man, and Lighting McQueen? Dinos are universally popular with kids in general but boys love them a little more obviously like how girls love the Disney princesses and Hello Kitty more - just the way things are. The Good Dinosaur might steal Dragon 2's thunder and it does have 3.5 weeks until it comes out. That's enough time to earn plenty of cash. It's an original property and none of the summer 2014 movies except ASM2 and HTTYD2 look remotely like bonafide sure-fire blockbusters. That's why an original movie has the chance to step in and win the year IMO 

• Like 2

Dinos are universally popular with kids in general but boys love them a little more obviously like how girls love the Disney princesses and Hello Kitty more - just the way things are.

Very true. Dinosaurs are very popular. The Flintstones and Jurassic Park proved that.

• Like 1

Boys under the age of 5 love Lebron James more than dinos, Spider-Man, and Lighting McQueen? Dinos are universally popular with kids in general but boys love them a little more obviously like how girls love the Disney princesses and Hello Kitty more - just the way things are. The Good Dinosaur might steal Dragon 2's thunder and it does have 3.5 weeks until it comes out. That's enough time to earn plenty of cash. It's an original property and none of the summer 2014 movies except ASM2 and HTTYD2 look remotely like bonafide sure-fire blockbusters. That's why an original movie has the chance to step in and win the year IMO

Okay...what? I said nothing about Spiderman or Lighting McQueen. Dinosaurs are popular, but not at that level. Go to Toys R Us, ask "what sales more, dinosaur toys or wrestling figures" and get back to me. And just because theyre popular doesnt mean theyll rake in huge cash. Spongebob is the most popular character currently on the air - hes not sniffing $300M. The NFL is popular, but how many will show up for NFL: The Movie? And being original also doesnt matter, see Epic, Brave, Croods, Guardians, even DM was $50M away. $300M is alot. Animated movies rarely can do it - no original animated movie has hit $300M since 2003 and only 6 have, and with more animation flooding the market, i dont see why TGD is so special. This movie needs alot more than "little boys love dinosaurs" to make $300M. And not every kid, even if they love dinos, will end up seeing the movie. Edited by jandrew
  • Like 3

In my opinion TGD could bdo between 200-250m. Finding Nemo did very well and Pixar was massive since then, with that 70m OW. Zero competition from animated flicks in that time and holding on very well led this to gross 330m. Up was the other which had greats legs, had 33 days before competition from Ice Age. Now TGD has competition which I think, is tougher than Ice Age and is HTTYD2, in 3 weeks. But this could still make great numbers.

Okay...what? I said nothing about Spiderman or Lighting McQueen. Dinosaurs are popular, but not at that level. Go to Toys R Us, ask "what sales more, dinosaur toys or wrestling figures" and get back to me. And just because theyre popular doesnt mean theyll rake in huge cash. Spongebob is the most popular character currently on the air - hes not sniffing $300M. The NFL is popular, but how many will show up for NFL: The Movie? And being original also doesnt matter, see Epic, Brave, Croods, Guardians, even DM was $50M away. $300M is alot. Animated movies rarely can do it - no original animated movie has hit $300M since 2003 and only 6 have, and with more animation flooding the market, i dont see why TGD is so special. This movie needs alot more than "little boys love dinosaurs" to make $300M. And not every kid, even if they love dinos, will end up seeing the movie.

There are currently ONLY TWO big computer animated films for summer 2014. TWO. That isn't flooding. Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

You know what happens when you read this page quickly without actually reading whole sentences?You think LeBron James is gonna voice the dinosaur in this movie.

That would actually be a smart way of bringing in an urban audience... let's remove the thread before Disney gets any ideas!!!  :lol: