AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

New tweets from Bob Petersen after a two month hiatus:@bob__peterson: Been a tough time, but I am good - thankful for family and hilarious friends. On to future projects. Long live TGD. It's gonna be great!@bob__peterson: And what's with John Kahrs stealing my thunder?!! http://t.co/YJZLVsfUgb (Note - John Kahrs is the Paperman director who is reportedly leaving Disney... Is "stealing thunder" about Kahrs taking the headline from Petersen being removed from TGD? Or about Kahrs leaving?)Saying good things about the movie and support from family and friends. Still no Pixar on his twitter bio. Dude is paying lip service like the previous Pixar directors, then will probably move on after the film is released.

This isn't good news, but I don't think this is the doom of the film. It won't be the same without him, but I think it still has the potential to be great. With that said, I just hope he doesn't leave Pixar.

Oh, and it is still my most looked forward to film next year.

Most of the movie has been written, and they have a clear roadmap about it, so it's not worrying at all.

And by the way Pixar movies have a lot of people working on them, one departure rarely changes anything.

@bob__peterson: And what's with John Kahrs stealing my thunder?!! http://t.co/YJZLVsfUgb (Note - John Kahrs is the Paperman director who is reportedly leaving Disney... Is "stealing thunder" about Kahrs taking the headline from Petersen being removed from TGD? Or about Kahrs leaving?)

I hadn't heard about that... also very bad news. Paperman is probably my favorite thing to come out of Disney since the 90s. :(

• Like 1

Honestly, Pixar still has a pretty decent record retaining their creatives compared to Disney and Dreamworks. The ones they lose just have bigger names.

I don't remember Disney changing directors on a film recently besides Bolt (which is just like this) and Tangled (which is more excusable because it was health concerns for one.) I don't remember ever reading DreamWorks changing a director late in production.

I don't remember Disney changing directors on a film recently besides Bolt (which is just like this) and Tangled (which is more excusable because it was health concerns for one.) I don't remember ever reading DreamWorks changing a director late in production.

Me and My Shadow was supposed to come out in November this year not too long ago but has since been put on the backburner and it's already gone through two directors. 

True, they haven't really gone as far as removing as many as two directors late in production as Pixar has recently, but a lot of their directors have left Dreamworks within a few years of making their film. 

Edited by tribefan695

Oh, and a little thing of interest I came up with, showing the known Pixar replacements.

Brad Bird replaced Jan Pinkava two years and three months before Ratatouille's release.*

John Lasseter replaced Brad Lewis eight months before Cars 2's release.

Mark Andrews replaced Brenda Chapman a year and six months before Brave's release.

In addition, I believe Dan Scanlon replaced someone (can't find who but I think I remember the original press release about it being simply being a Monsters Inc. sequel mentioning a different director) at least two years and a month before Monsters University's release. This might not be accurate though so feel free to ignore it.

*It is listed as Spring 2005 the replacement, so I presumed March.

All hopes now on the upcoming original projects by Pete Docter and Lee Unkrich... if those guys can't get Pixar out of this swamp it's gotten itself into and back to its former glory, then who the hell can?

I think Dan Scanlon, if he does an original project, could do it. Same with Teddy Newton and Peter Sohn if they guide a movie completely from inception to release. Other than that... yeah, they're screwed. :P

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Oh, and a little thing of interest I came up with, showing the known Pixar replacements.

Brad Bird replaced Jan Pinkava two years and three months before Ratatouille's release.*

John Lasseter replaced Brad Lewis eight months before Cars 2's release.

Mark Andrews replaced Brenda Chapman a year and six months before Brave's release.

In addition, I believe Dan Scanlon replaced someone (can't find who but I think I remember the original press release about it being simply being a Monsters Inc. sequel mentioning a different director) at least two years and a month before Monsters University's release. This might not be accurate though so feel free to ignore it.

*It is listed as Spring 2005 the replacement, so I presumed March.

I think most will argue that Bird/Ratatouille turned out to be a blessing, but those latter two are very suspect. Personally speaking, it's kinda ironic that 3 of my 4 least favorite Pixar films had directorial changes.

Still, two of those were far out from release. Like Cars 2, the 8.5 month gap is concerning. I still love the concept of the film, though.

• Like 1

I think most will argue that Bird/Ratatouille turned out to be a blessing, but those latter two are very suspect. Personally speaking, it's kinda ironic that 3 of my 4 least favorite Pixar films had directorial changes.

Still, two of those were far out from release. Like Cars 2, the 8.5 month gap is concerning. I still love the concept of the film, though.

I agree with this; I just felt like I needed to include it so not to appear bias. :P And honestly, it (along with Monsters U's possible director changes) happened with enough space from release I think. Brave and Cars 2 were already very far into production.

I also find it concerning there's no actual director attached to this right now...

• Like 1

The way I see it Pixar had more then their fair share of time in the sun as the premier animation studio. Maybe it's just natural that it had to end. Besides I love the fact that WDA seems to be the one stepping up to the plate to fill Pixar's void. If any other animation studio is going to be on top, it's only right that it be them.

• Like 1