Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

2 minutes ago, Algebra said:

I think what I mean is that Mcquarrie loves capturing the action in wide frames and doesn't use cuts, to emphasize the action and the stunt performance...reason why Fallout and RN are S-tier.

This one though has so much intercutting between different scenes during key action sequences that it was taking me out.

Then the bike jump. The buildup to that was so long drawn out and felt jarring. Remember how much amped you got during the buildup of the HALO jump in Fallout. And when Cruise finally jumped, the scene played out in full without cutting to other characters. 

The Venice chase scene is another good one. I want uninterrupted shots of Cruise running with great background music like the one in Fallout. If you're cutting to other characters so frequently in the middle of Cruise running, I am just not feeling it!

This is why the Airport and Rome chase scenes in DR1 are so great to me. While they did cut to other characters, the sequences with Cruise and Hayley were long 

7 minutes ago, Algebra said:

I think what I mean is that Mcquarrie loves capturing the action in wide frames and doesn't use cuts, to emphasize the action and the stunt performance...reason why Fallout and RN are S-tier.

This one though has so much intercutting between different scenes during key action sequences that it was taking me out.

Then the bike jump. The buildup to that was so long drawn out and felt jarring. Remember how much amped you got during the buildup of the HALO jump in Fallout. And when Cruise finally jumped, the scene played out in full without cutting to other characters. 

The Venice chase scene is another good one. I want uninterrupted shots of Cruise running with great background music like the one in Fallout. If you're cutting to other characters so frequently in the middle of Cruise running, I am just not feeling it!

I think some of this can be chalked up to COVID protocols and complications, speaking as a Head of Dev at a NY prod Co. and knowing how limiting those complications and safety measures were. I do think the hand to hand combat took a serious hit here. I personally disagree with the Cruise running thing, just because the intercutting between him running and his intended destination added a lot of urgency for me.

4 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

I think some of this can be chalked up to COVID protocols and complications, speaking as a Head of Dev at a NY prod Co. and knowing how limiting those complications and safety measures were. I do think the hand to hand combat took a serious hit here. I personally disagree with the Cruise running thing, just because the intercutting between him running and his intended destination added a lot of urgency for me.

Yeah for sure. Covid wrecked the production multiple times and I have hand it to them for still crafting out the exquisite Rome and Airport sequences in such trying times.

If they pull off a movie like this during such dire times, I can't imagine what they've pulled off for DR2 which so far has been shot under normal circstances 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Algebra said:

Yeah for sure. Covid wrecked the production multiple times and I have hand it to them for still crafting out the exquisite Rome and Airport sequences in such trying times.

If they pull off a movie like this during such dire times, I can't imagine what they've pulled off for DR2 which so far has been shot under normal circstances 

Normal circumstances until having to shut down for the strikes. I guess MCQ and Cruise as producers can still work on the movie but they can't write or do anything production related obviously.

Did anyone else find some of the dialogue kind of stilted esp in the first half of the film and really weird moments of humour than just didn't land esp around CIA team and the build up to jump .

Some awkward cuts in some of the action scenes. 

This movie had great moments but there were lots of rough edges, illsa plot is just jarring. This movie was nowhere as seamless as 4-6.

Shooting during covid clearly took it's  toll.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Normal circumstances until having to shut down for the strikes. I guess MCQ and Cruise as producers can still work on the movie but they can't write or do anything production related obviously.

With both writers and actors striking, studios won't have a choice but to cave in. Their hands are tied...production will start soon

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Did anyone else find some of the dialogue kind of stilted esp in the first half of the film and really weird moments of humour than just didn't land esp around CIA team and the build up to jump .

Some akwards cuts in some of the action scenes. 

This movie had great moments but there were lots of rough edges, illsa plot is just jarring. This movie was nowhere as seamless as 4-6.

Exactly what I felt...specially cutting to and fro from the action scenes felt jarring

Covid definitely took a massive toll

1 minute ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Some akwards cuts in some of the action scenes. 

Yeah I think Covid affected the Ilsa story line, The production went so long because of the shutdowns and Rebecca Ferguson had her Silo and Dune 2 duties conflict with her schedule I assume.  Caught myself from saying more.

5 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

I just read up on how much of DR2 has already been shot, and what one of the set pieces consists of, and HOO BOY I couldn't be more excited

How can you look at this and not get amped up? 

DR2' s gonna top Fallout, I am so sure of it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

You are way more optimistic than most. Never underestimate pure corporate greed. 

Greed's what's gonna make them cave in..no new content + no promotions for existing content. They're fucked.

With just writers striking, they could've gotten away 

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Some awkward cuts in some of the action scenes. 

The editing in act 3 was kinda odd but the funniest thing in the whole movie was how the intelligence operative was talking to Gabriel on the train. It was so cartoony the way he was speaking lol.

This movie is great but the box office numbers is such a downer. Film with this quality doesn’t deserve that… 

But maybe it’s a karma after all. For treating one of the most beloved character in the franchise dirty and replaced by another new character easily just like that. Made me fuming. The only thing I didn’t like from this movie.

Spoiler

Ilsa and Grace 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Claudio said:

This movie is great but the box office numbers is such a downer. Film with this quality doesn’t deserve that… 

But maybe it’s a karma after all. For treating one of the most beloved character in the franchise dirty and replaced by another new character easily just like that. Made me fuming. The only thing I didn’t like from this movie.

Reveal hidden contents

it wasn't handled well , i expect something in the next one to make it better but not fix your thoughts

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

I see some saying they prefer John Wick 4 to this because there is a lot more action as much as I love that movie the problem I had with it was it  got really tiring and repetitive by the end. Why I prefer this to JW 4 is beause it slows down and paces the action scenes and builds suspense and the action scenes when they do come all feel different from each other. Both are great though and along with Extraction 2 on Netflix are the cream of the crop for action this year. 

Extraction 2 final fight is such a letdown and anticlimactic after the first two well crafted action packed sequences. JW4 and MI7 felt more balanced and evenly paced.

I'll need further reflection and repeat viewings to know for sure, but this is in the same upper tier of the franchise as the first and sixth films in my book. That runtime just flew by, and the big sequences are absolute showstoppers. It's wild that we're seven films and 27 years deep and this franchise is still cooking with gas.