Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

3 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

On it's OW, I don't think they even had another movie that premiered that weekend......

Still making $25m was not bad considering how things are…half of Fallout’s China OW. I was expecting it to do $85m+. It’s gonna stop at $42m 😪

Unless a film breaks out massively in China (like MEG fi) that market doesn't really move the needle for Hollywood films. FALLOUT made 180m in China and Paramount saw at best 35-40m from it. So while on paper it looks like a big drop off for DR in China, it doesn't really effect total revenue, maybe lost 20m net there what they were hoping. THE LITTE MERMAID for that reason is actually making more money than FAST X despite not hitting 600m and FAST X passing 700m. The bigger issue for MI7 is the domestic decrease.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Sound of Freedom is projected to earn more, in the domestic market, than this movie......

:apocalypse:

Yeah but that movie is very obviously being astroturfed. That's why it's fans have so many conspiracies about how "we were TOLD it was sold out but the theater was EMPTY, what's AMC trying to hide from us" when it's very obviously someone buying the showing out

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 4

Just had my second viewing. The middle does drag a bit once you've seen it already; and holy fuck there is so much exposition, like every scene without action is just explanations of the plot. However, I can't deny the feeling of ecstasy I was on leaving the first viewing. The last act holds up completely on second viewing. It's utterly thrilling and I think it does has to be the best of the whole series.

I took my family to see it, my parents hadn't seen a MI film since the original(!) and they thoroughly enjoyed it.

Having now watched all 7 films in order this week, I think my final ranking is:

7 > 4 > 6 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 1

But, the most recent 4 are all so close that I'm sure another round of viewings and I could put them in a different order.

I am HYPED for part 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

On it's OW, I don't think they even had another movie that premiered that weekend......

They had. Oh My School debuted in the same weekend as MI: DR. 

I don't understand what really happened with MI: DR in china. It was doing decent numbers with very less numbers of showings on weekdays (compared to GOTG3) then suddenly 90% of total screens got snatched away. Also it's not like the film was receiving bad reviews or got complete rejection from public.

3 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Also this is the first film ever to be filmed 100% IMAX

Just a minor correction, this is not true. The film switches between 70MM IMAX and regular 70mm. It is very difficult to shoot any dialogue heavy scenes in 70MM IMAX due to the size and noise of the cameras. (Some filmmakers are currently working with IMAX to create a quieter, more efficient version of this camera).

Spoiler

But the point does stand that Nolan is synonymous with IMAX. Of the 17? films that feature real 70MM IMAX footage, 6 are Nolans and he was the first director to employ it's usage in a Hollywood feature film with The Dark Knight. The only other director to have multiple films using the format is JJ Abrams with 2. Nolan literally is IMAX. 

But don't even get me started on all these avenues. Now there's LIEMAX, digital IMAX cameras, formatted for IMAX, certified for IMAX etc. IMAX have diluted the brand somewhat since it's innovative usage in The Dark Knight. Is anyone buying that Blue Beetle is 'Filmed for IMAX'!?

Edited by FilmFincher

12 hours ago, Algebra said:

China is bewildering. Opened alright, was holding decent over the weekdays, had god WOM and then boom! all screens gone

It is far from opening alright. China OW  $27 m (DR) vs $89m (Fallout). Unlike Japan & korea If a Hollywood movie didn't have a good OW in China its over. On the Chinese movie page. Chinese fans think it is becoming like just another old school action ike James Bond and missing Mission Impossible charm. It lacks intense & suspense scene like sneaking & stealing stuffs scene that makes you on the edge of your seat sweating (with the use of high tech gadgets) as normally Mission Impossible is so good at this. It must include this kind of scene in the movie just a good story & action isn't enough to keep the general interests going.

Edited by Mk2504
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mk2504 said:

It is far from opening alright. China OW  $27 m (DR) vs $89m (Fallout). Unlike Japan & korea If a Hollywood movie didn't have a good OW in China its over. In the Chinese movie page. Chinese fans think it is becoming like just another old school action ike James Bond and missing Mission Impossible charm. It lacks intense & suspense scene like sneaking & stealing stuffs scene that makes you on the edge of your seat sweating (with the use of high tech gadgets) as normally Mission Impossible is so good at this. It must include this kind of scene in the movie just a good story & action isn't enough to keep the general interests going.

Ahh for some reason I was thinking MI6 opened at $50m…and yeah I agree with the assessment of the Chinese moviegoers tbh

Mi 7 OW is 2nd biggest of the franchise in Japan

OPENINGS:
¥1.390 billion ($12.8 million) / N/A - Mission: Impossible II (2000)
¥1.040 billion ($7.4 million) / 655,000 - Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning - Part 1 (2023)* *Estimate*
¥720.1 million ($6.3 million) / 528,245 - Mission: Impossible III (2006)
¥639.0 million ($5.7 million) / 450,315 - Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)
¥573.5 million ($4.6 million) / 427,281 - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)
¥573.2 million ($7.3 million) / 437,751 - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)
¥545.0 million ($4.9 million) / N/A - Mission: Impossible (1996)

*3-Day (2023-Present)

Total gross for each Mission: Impossible in Japan

TOTALS:
¥9.70 billion ($94.1 million) / 7.62 million - Mission: Impossible II (2000)
¥6.50 billion ($53.9 million) / 5.20 million - Mission: Impossible (1996)
¥5.38 billion ($70.5 million) / 4.24 million - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)
¥5.15 billion ($46.5 million) / 4.17 million - Mission: Impossible III (2006)
¥5.14 billion ($42.3 million) / 3.91 million - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)
¥4.72 billion ($42.5 million) / 3.40 million - Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

Edited by Mk2504

5 minutes ago, Mk2504 said:

OPENINGS:
¥1.040 billion ($7.4 million) / 655,000 - Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning - Part 1 (2023)* *Estimate*
¥573.5 million ($4.6 million) / 427,281 - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)
¥573.2 million ($7.3 million) / 437,751 - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)

*3-Day (2023-Present)

Totally gross for each Mission: Impossible in Japan

TOTALS:
¥5.38 billion ($70.5 million) / 4.24 million - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)
¥5.14 billion ($42.3 million) / 3.91 million - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)
¥4.72 billion ($42.5 million) / 3.40 million - Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

So, MI7 is the bigger than Fallout in the UK, Aus, India and Japan thus among major international markets.

1 hour ago, Algebra said:

So, MI7 is the bigger than Fallout in the UK, Aus, India and Japan thus among major international markets.

Just opening number, not total. Fallout got legs and did well in most international markets.  MI7 is facing Oppenheimer that sharing the same target audience in all markets. 

3 minutes ago, Mk2504 said:

Just opening number, not total. Fallout got legs and did well in most international markets.  MI7 is facing Oppenheimer that sharing the same target audience in all markets. 

Just read that MI7 actually beat Fallout’s 2nd weekend in the UK despite Barbenheimer. I hope Japan does close to TGM numbers….it’ll cover potential all of the remaining non-China Box office gaps from Fallout if that does happen

7 hours ago, Mk2504 said:

OPENINGS:

*3-Day (2023-Present)

Total gross for each Mission: Impossible in Japan

TOTALS:

my God, Mission Impossible 2 really was the peak of the franchise.

9 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i wonder , if they rework part II as the finale for the series now , what a disaster . Fallout seemed to wrap up much of the last few movies too well, mcu kind of has this problem after Endgame as well.

I don’t know what’s up with you and Maggie calling it a disaster? It’s got great reviews and go the exposition out of the way and setting up for an explosive finale.

Yes, the Box office won’t match the last 3 instalments but every franchise, specially long running ones can see dips before rising back again. MI 4 has already shown us that.

If the new openers will combine to 240m again on the second weekend of DR2 then they are in trouble. Otherwise the franchise is in the right place. McQ said that they have no idea how they end the film. I always thought that it will be done like a finale. And it will be bigger and better than DR1, which was just a set-up for the fireworks that are coming in DR2. Air combats will be back. Cruise will probably do other stuff and maybe a few years down the road he'll do one last mission to show everyone that he can still do stuns at the age of 70.