filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

no more wasted that nominations for Roma actresses who are literal one and done gimmick. Tavira's spot should have been Blunt's for AQP and Yalita's should have been Colette's for Hereditary. Complete waste. At least Rockwell is coming back for sure (though it should have been Chalamet who's also coming back soon). yalita is likely going to get a part in Eternals or such Marvel ensemble thing, lol.

I'll have to disagree with you on Tavira. At the very least, she'll continue to get many prominent roles in her home country. And at most, if Hispanic-American filmmaking becomes more of a thing in the diversity era, I'm sure Tavira will appear in at least a few of the films coming out of that movement. She might be one and done in terms of Oscar nominations, but her career is given a surefire boost.

Not sure about Yalitza at the moment.

1 minute ago, Slambros said:

I'll have to disagree with you on Tavira. At the very least, she'll continue to get many prominent roles in her home country. And at most, if Hispanic-American filmmaking becomes more of a thing in the diversity era, I'm sure Tavira will appear in at least a few of the films coming out of that movement. She might be one and done in terms of Oscar nominations, but her career is given a surefire boost.

Not sure about Yalitza at the moment.

She'll continue to have prominent roles in Mexico which has nothing to do with Oscars. It's a wasted slot, basically a charity quota filler like Yalitza. lets not pretend there's anything else to it. it's "I feel good for nominating these ladies that will never have a chance again" type of nom. IMO, it's condescending but whatever. I guess they'll have a good story to tell to their grandkids to that counts.