Eric is Quiet

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

1 minute ago, boyamama said:

lol..and some people dare to call me a troll and provocateur to comment CM will drop more than 50%, cause "US" will be a break out BIG hits movie....some people tend to forgot how strong horror movie market is.....................

i wouldnt use the word dare lol we dont know the drop it could hit 32 or 35 too early to tell but yes of course it would affect captain marvel,and i will honest with you i was one  of them who thought that this movie wont overlap bc different audiences etc or at least hoping nevermind :D

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Honestly the only thing I'm not sure of with Us is how it's legs will be. It's more cerebral and less GA-friendly imo but I could turn out to be entirely wrong.

I actually think Get Out is more cerebral, at least on the surface. Us is more of a crowdpleaser/traditional horror film. 

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Jordan Peele is not a good fit for superhero movies in the current climate. After what happened to Zack Snyder, other visionary directors will either scare studio executives with their innovative ideas, or get them meddling with his work. Superhero movies are so popular right now, that studios will always try to make them as mediocre as possible to maximize their profits. The genre needs to die in order to be revived in a few years with actual creativity.

agreed.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I actually think Get Out is more cerebral, at least on the surface. Us is more of a crowdpleaser/traditional horror film. 

I'd disagree honestly, I feel like Get Out's ending is a lot easier to stomach and it's twists and villains are more easily understood imo.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

Us was what we in the business call a "full shyamalan".

I get what you mean, and I've been questioning some of the internal logic of the film because of some decisions made creatively, but I wouldn't call it a big dip in quality 

US felt more like an old school horror film, and doesn't tackle sensitive issues head-first like Get Out did with American race relations, so I don't see it being any less palatable to audiences than Peele's last film.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

53% drop for Captain Marvel for $31.7M. Over/under $400m dom?

That's under the 3rd weekends of both IM3 and CACW, which set them at 337 and 347 respectively. They both had holidays in their fourth weekends, too, and were at 372 and 377m after day 25 (Memorial day). (CACW had notably worse legs.)

32.5m would put CM at 319m, which is pretty far behind either of those, and might put 400m in doubt. 

OTOH, it would still be sitting midway between THG and Catching Fire (heavily differing calendar than CF, which dropped heavily in third (post-thanksgiving) and fourth (early december doldrums) weekends, before hitting the holiday stride) but it's behind THG in weekend pulls, and it's probably not going to have the amazing holding power that THG had. From weekends 4-22, the only weekend it had a drop bigger than 40% was when Avengers opened, and even that was below 50%. 

Looking at my simple, stupid box office projector (which takes weekly grosses and applies a flat drop percentage), it looks like CM will need to hold to about 44% drops from here on out to get to 400m. 42% drops to beat the IM3/CACW/THG trifecta, and 41% to get past WW. 39% drops would be needed to catch Fire.

46% drops would be enough to pass GOTG2.

I'll update the projector next week to see how things shape out then. I'd guess that it will need even better holds across the board, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here “they” come.... perfectly in time when CM ‘gonna’ (still not confirmed) have a lower than expected 3rd weekend after nowhere to be found for the last 2 weeks. Seems suspicious 🤔

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

That's under the 3rd weekends of both IM3 and CACW, which set them at 337 and 347 respectively. They both had holidays in their fourth weekends, too, and were at 372 and 377m after day 25 (Memorial day). (CACW had notably worse legs.)

32.5m would put CM at 319m, which is pretty far behind either of those, and might put 400m in doubt. 

OTOH, it would still be sitting midway between THG and Catching Fire (heavily differing calendar than CF, which dropped heavily in third (post-thanksgiving) and fourth (early december doldrums) weekends, before hitting the holiday stride) but it's behind THG in weekend pulls, and it's probably not going to have the amazing holding power that THG had. From weekends 4-22, the only weekend it had a drop bigger than 40% was when Avengers opened, and even that was below 50%. 

Looking at my simple, stupid box office projector (which takes weekly grosses and applies a flat drop percentage), it looks like CM will need to hold to about 44% drops from here on out to get to 400m. 42% drops to beat the IM3/CACW/THG trifecta, and 41% to get past WW. 39% drops would be needed to catch Fire.

46% drops would be enough to pass GOTG2.

I'll update the projector next week to see how things shape out then. I'd guess that it will need even better holds across the board, though.

i am a simple man so i will use simple words we have no idea right now there you go but i had to bet i would say yes still we dont know there you go :d