Eric the IF

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

10 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Hopefully Peele stays away from the comic book movie swamp. The dude is way too talented for that. 

Completely agree.  Get Out and Us are some of the most innovative and ingenious horror movies of the past decade or two, he should do his own thing and not latch onto a superhero blockbuster where he’ll likely not have nearly as much freedom.  If he does a blockbuster, then he’ll almost certainly do one that doesn’t limit his creative input

I guess if we're talking Peele, while I'm not gonna be upset if he does an IP blockbuster next, I do hope he continues doing original stuff. Nolan and Tarantino are the only people who are able to develop original hit blockbusters nowadays (even Spielberg's mainly been doing book adaptations for the past decade), and it would be nice if there was at least one other director making completely original event movies

Jordan Peele doesn’t need to direct an IP blockbuster because he’s making his own original films into mini blockbusters themselves. For example, Us, an original movie, is going to make more in its OW than The Predator, a film within a well known IP, did in its entire run (this one is for you @Brainbug)  Why force yourself into a creative box just to direct IPs that have more than likely been made into films when you can amaze audiences with your own ideas? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Jordan Peele doesn’t need to direct an IP blockbuster because he’s making his own original films into mini blockbusters themselves. For example, Us, an original movie, is going to make more in its OW than The Predator, a film within a well known IP, did in its entire run (this one is for you @Brainbug)  Why force yourself into a creative box just to direct IPs that have more than likely been made into films when you can amaze audiences with your own ideas? 

True. Enough movies about some idiot wearing a tight, stupid (usually animal) outfit to "save the world!!!" 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yeah speaking of directors that can sell movies on their names, Quentin Tarantino’s name alone got applause during the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood trailer last night.  Peele being added to that small list of filmmakers is awesome.

The official trailer for OUATIH on Sony's channel already crossed 11M views after two days. Don't know how long Rocketman or Yesterday hit the mark, but they're only at 11M and 10M respectively after only a month. And those movies at least had iconic music backing them up. This is a vague teaser with no money shots and no established brand, outside of its stars and director. Doesn't even bring up the Manson murders at all. This feels like an O/U Django at the moment

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I assume you meant my great enjoyment of The Predators ginormously huge week-to week drops?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think Peele will direct something that has a higher budget in the near future, I don't think he's opposed to being involved in something that an existing IP given he's producing Candyman and also involved with The Twilight Zone so there's a chance he will direct something based on an IP in the future. 

25 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

even Spielberg's mainly been doing book adaptations for the past decade

Reminder that Spielberg had a lot of trouble getting Lincoln green-lit