Eric S'ennui

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

31 minutes ago, The Panda said:

US was phenomenal, still trying to figure out wtf I just saw though

A clumsy and amateurish Twilight Zone episode.

Don't try to figure out further.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 4

33 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah this. Spring break will inflate dailies soon enough and double features with Dumbo will help too.

I'm from Canada, so you'll have to excuse me...

We just went through our spring break period over the last few weeks. Is it much later than that in the United States?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I'm from Canada, so you'll have to excuse me...

We just went through our spring break period over the last few weeks. Is it much later than that in the United States?

It's actually really spread out over several weeks. They started a few weeks ago and will continue until essentially through Easter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Djsoke said:

It's actually really spread out over several weeks. They started a few weeks ago and will continue until essentially through Easter. 

Ok. Thanks.

So if that is the case, then it's weekday numbers have already been benefiting from rolling spring breaks (as we've seen), so if anything they should just continue as they have been, and we shouldn't expect any sort of "spring break bump" to the numbers....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

I didn't like Captain Marvel. :(

It's okay. I didn't like it much either and I certainly didn't love Us. But, more than happy to see the box office blowing up.

Nothing they can't fix in Endgame and the sequel for Cap Marv. Ton riding on it. Played it pretty safe. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Can we expect CM's drop next week to be something outrageous, like 30%, thanks to the double features?

Long story short, no. The drop might be in the 30s (might not), but it would be more because 4th weekend drops tend to be better generally. Dumbo is mid-sized, any double feature $ it provides will be like .5-1.5M.   

So if you thought CM’s “normal” drop would be, say, 36->22.5M (-37.5%) then Dumbo double features could perhaps take things instead to about 36->23.5 (-34.7%). Even that improvement of 2.8% from them seems more likely to be an overestimate than an underestimate to me, but should be roughly in the right ballpark.   

Btw I chose 37.5 for convenience, not because that’s the drop I’m expecting.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

I didn't like Captain Marvel. :(

We haven’t seen it but does the “I’m not gonna fight your wars I’m gonna end it” still sound like it was from a gag reel?

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Of course. Doesn't hurt if it's gonna have a real shot at finishing above Wondy DOM.

Is it necessary/important that it does finish above WW domestic? It has already passed it  worldwide. Why does it matter if it doesn't do the same here?

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia

3 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Is it necessary/important that it does finish above WW domestic? It has already passed it  worldwide. Why does it matter if it doesn't do the same here?

Realistically, it doesn't matter. It's just a comparative milestone because both are female-superhero flicks. 

• Like 3