Eric Prime

CinemaCon 2019 Discussion Thread l April 1-April 4 l Paramount (1 ET/10 PT) Lionsgate (5:15 ET/2:15 PT)

53 minutes ago, Bordlove said:

How did that go exactly?

I dont know, but the slate reveal idea is stupid and it's better dead than alive. Companies learn from the mistakes of others, WB tried the slate idea for DC and that shit went lopsided:

• Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” directed by Zack Snyder (2016)
  • “Suicide Squad,” directed by David Ayer (2016)
  • “Wonder Woman,” starring Gal Gadot (2017)
  • “Justice League Part One,” directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (2017)
  • “The Flash,” starring Ezra Miller (2018)
  • “Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa (2018)
  • “Shazam” (2019)
  • “Justice League Part Two,” directed by Zack Snyder (2019)
  • “Cyborg,” starring Ray Fisher (2020)
  • “Green Lantern” (2020)

You spend time, money, and resources doing pre-production. They planned for the future as if a potential Cyborg movie was coming in 2020, that meant they had to reject any other 2019/2020 opportunities to make room for a 2020 Cyborg movie that isn't happening. There's more freedom without the slate.

EDIT: Lego Movie 2 and Solo Star Wars also probably killed the yearly blockbuster spin-off idea. Justice League and Mummy probably killed the interconnected universe building up to a crossover idea. A lot of what Marvel pioneered was killed off by other studios, I imagine Marvel won't operate like they did in the past.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AJG said:

I dont know, but the slate reveal idea is stupid and it's better dead than alive. Companies learn from the mistakes of others, WB tried the slate idea for DC and that shit went lopsided:

You spend time, money, and resources doing pre-production. They planned for the future as if a potential Cyborg movie was coming in 2020, that meant they had to reject any other 2019/2020 opportunities to make room for a 2020 Cyborg movie that isn't happening. There's more freedom without the slate.

EDIT: Lego Movie 2 and Solo Star Wars also probably killed the yearly blockbuster spin-off idea. Justice League and Mummy probably killed the interconnected universe building up to a crossover idea. A lot of what Marvel pioneered was killed off by other studios, I imagine Marvel won't operate like they did in the past.

Maybe it didn't go well with DC but Marvel made sure they go as scheduled. At least there's a build up of excitement when they released the slate of movies for Phase 3

I didn't want to say anything but I knew Disney presentation was going to be shit the moment tweets revealed that they showed such unexciting snippet from Episode IX footage. Of all things shown already (to shareholders) they picked the seconds of people sitting and walking in? WTF? 

Anyway, that's not bad cause other studios have a chance to shine. Looking forward to Sonic. 

15 minutes ago, Bordlove said:

Maybe it didn't go well with DC but Marvel made sure they go as scheduled. At least there's a build up of excitement when they released the slate of movies for Phase 3

At what cost? Rushed movies (the CG at the ending of Black Panther and Captain Marvel. Being stuck with the same BTS crew for different films. An easy to replicate and adapt standardised plain look across different films and franchises). 

95%+ of people that watch these movies have no idea what’s on an upcoming slate. There’s no point for it.

2 hours ago, AJG said:

At what cost? Rushed movies (the CG at the ending of Black Panther and Captain Marvel. Being stuck with the same BTS crew for different films. An easy to replicate and adapt standardised plain look across different films and franchises). 

95%+ of people that watch these movies have no idea what’s on an upcoming slate. There’s no point for it.

well, those rushed movies each made over 1B, one was this close to getting SFX nomination for Legend Rhino and it sure as hell got Picture nom and won 3 very deserving categories. So they know what they are doing as average viewers (including AMPAS who aren't geeky like us) are perfectly happy with results. 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

well, those rushed movies each made over 1B, one was this close to getting SFX nomination for Legend Rhino and it sure as hell got Picture nom and won 3 very deserving categories. So they know what they are doing as average viewers (including AMPAS who aren't geeky like us) are perfectly happy with results. 

I’m just saying, they could spruce things up a bit over there.

7 hours ago, TLK said:

This is the most uneventful CinemaCon in recent years. Only one big trailer release through the first three days and no breaking movie news .

To be fair, considering how much CinemaCon has whiffed it in recent years (remember when Vacation was gonna be the comedy smash hit of Summer 2015?), it's not surprising studios like Sony are starting to sit out on it.

Edited by filmlover

Eh I’m hoping for Chaos Walking news at Lionsgate’s presentation. Although the fact they’re seeming to promote Knives Out, presumably a movie with a smaller budget than Chaos Walking, is not a good sign. I just wish it would do well for sci fi’s sake. 

Also, anyway anyone know when the presentations are today?

Edited by CaptainJackSparrow

1 hour ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Eh I’m hoping for Chaos Walking news at Lionsgate’s presentation. Although the fact they’re seeming to promote Knives Out, presumably a movie with a smaller budget than Chaos Walking, is not a good sign. I just wish it would do well for sci fi’s sake. 

Also, anyway anyone know when the presentations are today?

Knives Out has a release date which Chaos Walking does not cause Liman gonna Liman

• Like 1