Eric the Marxist

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Wtf were they thinking? They honestly thought critics wouldn't notice made up quotes?

My only explanation is that they were deliberately trying to stoke controversy to get people’s attention. “No such thing as bad publicity” and all that jazz.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Wtf were they thinking? They honestly thought critics wouldn't notice made up quotes?

With Borderlands bombing big time, this fiasco, and "The Crow" not looking very promising, this has not been a good month for Lionsgate.

I guess it was  a really badly though out attempt to be clever.

Edited by dudalb

Lionsgate been on an all time run this year....Imaginary, Arthur the King, Ministry of Ungentlemanly Welfare, Unsung Hero, Ordinary Angles, Borderlands, Megalopolis, The Crow, 1992, The Killers Game, Never Let Go, Bagman, White Bird, Flight Risk, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

Strangers looks like the only movie that will do well and they quietly pulled the sequel from releasing this year.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I remember way way way back Spider-Man 2 got in trouble for using fake quotes in review promos. Which is super weird because that was very well reviewed 

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I don;t think there is a film in history , no matter how well received, that did not get some critical reviews whenit opened.

With Coppola, I think part of it with Godfather was some critics though he had "Sold out" to the Hollywood establishment by making the Godfather; before that Coppola was considered one of the most promising American Avant Garde directors. It was OK for him to sell his skills a screenwriter for a commerical project like he did with writing Patton (and winning an Oscar for it) but directing a commerical film like the Godfather was beyond the pale for some of the critics. Film snobbery and contempt toward popular cinema was still a big thing among the :intellecutual critics at the time.

And John Simon and Rex Reed both had reputations of being "Contrarians" anyway; that shitick was around a long time before Armand WHite came along.

Edited by dudalb

For sure it was intended for both, making a huge scandal which is just free publicity and to mock the critics who will rate this low.

This looks like a snooze fest, the type of movie you have to walk out because of the boredom. 

I hope I'm wrong because Coppola is one the greatest but we will see.

19 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

My only explanation is that they were deliberately trying to stoke controversy to get people’s attention. “No such thing as bad publicity” and all that jazz.  

yeah of course is that and i think it will be a successfull strategy and could double the global box office from 10M to 20M. 

• Haha 4