sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

That’s wild to me. Especially with A+ cinema score 

58% drops past 2 weeks. Whoosh 

Also 700M+ total, eclipsing the cultural phenomenon Black Panther in 3 weeks.

Multipliers and legs in general arent an exact science. If your movie already grossed Avatar amounts of money, it really doesnt need good holds unlike a movie that opened to 57M instead of 357M.

Just now, John Marston said:

Everywhere 

I guess it depends on you’re exceptions

movie projected to more than 30 million more than dumbo China weekend and 11 million more than Shazam 

in japan it already combined to gross more Shazam and dumbo

mexico it did 1.94 million OD. Shazam 1.6 million

I don’t have numbers for other countries though  

27 minutes ago, TMP said:

Of those I've only seen The Spirit and Fantastic Four '94, but I remember so little from either of them. Also haven't seen any of the Blade films, so they're missing too.

Please do not judge Will Eisner's The Spirit by the movie. The movie totally butchers the comics.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Also 700M+ total, eclipsing the cultural phenomenon Black Panther in 3 weeks.

Multipliers and legs in general arent an exact science. If your movie already grossed Avatar amounts of money, it really doesnt need good holds unlike a movie that opened to 57M instead of 357M.

I know but still was big drops. People were talking about 1 billion domestic and beating Star Wars Domestic 

• Knock It Off 1

Just now, Minnale101 said:

I know but still was big drops. People were talking about 1 billion domestic and beating Star Wars Domestic 

These people were way too optimistic though in the first place. In hindsight of course, we always know more but when you gross 473M in only a week, you just cant expect the legs to be good. Too much demand was burnt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Please do not judge Will Eisner's The Spirit by the movie. The movie totally butchers the comics.

Eisner's Spirit is so colourful, the film looked like dark green screen dreck vomited out of a computer

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Eisner's Spirit is so colourful, the film looked like dark green screen dreck vomited out of a computer

If we ever discover that there is a multiverse and subsequently master interdimensional travel, I want to visit the reality where Brad Bird actually got to make his animated Spirit movie in the 80s.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Astonished 1

I refuse to believe anyone over the age of 50 could rank their 10 favorite comic book movies without including the original Christopher Reeves Superman.  I am going to assume I'm the only old man in this thread:

1. Superman (1978)

2. The Dark Knight

3. Avengers: Infinity War

4. Into the Spider-Verse

5. Avengers: Endgame

6. Guardians of the Galaxy

7. Spider-Man 2 (2004)

8. Avengers

9. X-Men

10. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

These people were way too optimistic though in the first place. In hindsight of course, we always know more but when you gross 473M in only a week, you just cant expect the legs to be good. Too much demand was burnt.

I’m not immune being wrong. I was definitely expecting detective pikachu to do 800-900 million. 

Its prob gonna do 500 million. Still a success so I don’t mind 

but yeah will be interesting to see next week. John wick will probably be first 

8 minutes ago, andrewgr said:

I refuse to believe anyone over the age of 50 could rank their 10 favorite comic book movies without including the original Christopher Reeves Superman.

I’m 31, and that movie is great. Ending aside. And even that doesn’t bother me much. Chris Reeve is the best live-action Superman ever, Margot Kidder is the best live-action Lois Lane. The effects even hold up 41 years later. And holy shit, it still has the best musical score of anything based on a comic book. Alan Silvestri’s Avengers scores may be good, but John Williams buries them. It is impossible to come up with a better theme music for the Man of Steel, and one of the few good moments in Justice League was when that music showed up.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Tight race between Pika and Endgame though both are lower than I expected a week ago. Pika will be fine and have a decent end total though wish it was a breakout hit. 

Endgame's drop this weekend is disappointing in a vacuum but of course hard to be disappointed in a film that should become No 1 of all time WW. I did expect better legs admittedly but finale factor and some lack of rewatchability from GA is playing a big role.

As far as the Infinity War vs Endgame they are two different films trying to accomplish different things. I totally understand how people would like Infinity War more but I definitely think if Endgame was non stop action like Infinity War as a conclusion Endgame would have felt unsatisfying. 3 hour running time is a special case I seriously don't think Disney will be making 3 hour Avengers films as the norm. 

Top ten for me. 

1. The Dark Knight 

2. The Avengers

3. Guardians of the galaxy

4. Avengers: Infinity War

5. Spider-Man 2

6. X-men days of future past

7. Captain America: Winter Soldier 

8. Dredd 3D

9. Avengers Endgame 

10. Superman(1978)

I know Dredd 3D is a weird one to put in there, but it was done with such style and violence. So good!

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Some studio should hire Michael Bay to make a Digimon movie and watch it destroy Detective Pikachu

No studio should ever hire Michael Bay for anything though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

No studio should ever hire Michael Bay for anything though.

His next movie is a Netflix release (starring Ryan Reynolds, no less) which is really the kind of place where his particular brand of action would probably thrive since it really doesn't have a place in the multiplex circa 2019.

3 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

You are correct but don’t try to fight the mob here, you will lose. Matrix reloaded did MUCH better than matrix, the POTC sequels did better than the first film e.t.c that doesn’t mean that they were superior films. 

Pirates 2 and 3 are my favorites of the series. :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

His next movie is a Netflix release (starring Ryan Reynolds, no less) which is really the kind of place where his particular brand of action would probably thrive since it really doesn't have a place in the multiplex circa 2019.

We need R-rated Michael Bay back. I hope this Netflix movie is closer to The Rock than Transformers.