sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

7 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

They’ve put out an incredible streak of movies over the past 4 years that (mostly) have been seen by lots of people and enjoyed by those who’ve seen them. If you think you can only see like 6 movies a year with the family and you want to make sure everyone has at least a pretty decent time, 2 MCU+a Pixar+ a WDAS+ a live reimagining + a SW has got to seem like a pretty safe slate.

I think this is it exactly. The GA watching experience is changing imo. It was even referenced in the WB-AT&T article on Deadline last week.

I probably see a dozen movies a year in a cinema, with time and money constraints that is what I can do. I can guarantee you that at least half of those will be picked by family members. Most of those will be films under the Disney brand as that is what my family trusts in terms of a movie going experience that everyone is likely to enjoy. 

No other studio has that trust for my family members. As TL mentions no other studio has had a run over the last half decade where most of the movies you see as a family are enjoyed by everyone in the family. Heck my son who loved SLOP had no strong desire to see SLOP2 in a cinema. He will see almost every CBM movie as he loves comics and doesn't care if it is Marvel or DC. The only one he hasn't seen is Dark Phoenix and he doesn't really want to see it.

So my family has seen all the Disney releases this year except Dumbo (I am taking my son to see Aladdin tonight - our showing is sold out by the way).

As mentioned in that Deadline article viewing habits appear to be changing. I think we are heading to a phase where alot of the smaller more niche films will either go straight to streaming or have a limited run in the theaters of 2-3 weeks and go to streaming. Most of the movies will be big tent pole type movies. Netflix not only changed TV viewing habits but it is also changing movie viewing habits imo. With all the other content providers starting up streaming services to compete with Netflix I think we will see more and more movies go straight to streaming. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With Father's Day weekend coming up I would expect Aladdin to have a really strong hold this weekend.

I expect Godzilla and Rocketman are going to take pretty heavy screen hits this weekend as you have 4 new movies looking at over 7,500 locations. 

38 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Most of those will be films under the Disney brand as that is what my family trusts in terms of a movie going experience that everyone is likely to enjoy. 

Just curious if this is the same for films like A Wrinkle in Time, Mary Poppins, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland?

Or purely Disney franchise stuff? 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Just curious if this is the same for films like A Wrinkle in Time, Mary Poppins, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland?

Or purely Disney franchise stuff? 

We saw Tommorowland in theaters. Did not see AWIT, MP or LR in theaters. Have seen all but LR at home.

I think of Disney as a corporate brand that includes all its sub brands. Disney does not get a free pass - ie. we did not go see Dumbo this year for instance, but when it comes to Pixar, Marvel, WDA my family is going to want to see most films they release. BV is a little more hit and miss with the family. 

As far as the rest of their slate this year for example.

TS4 will be a must see - especially for my wife and myself.

TLK is a must see for all family members including my 25-yr old daughter.

M2 - we'll see, probably not a must see, my gut is we'll skip it.

F2 - that will be interesting. Not a must see for me. Probably will not be for my son. Don't know about the wife yet. Would likely be above M2 on the family list but lower than all the others.

TROS - must see for my son and myself.

Honestly I don't know of any must sees for the family other than the ones listed above. I've already seen a special screening of Yesterday and my son and I are going to a free screening of MIB Intl on Thursday at a huge theater (4,000+ seats). He didn't care about seeing Phoenix (we did see Pika and Shazam). He hasn't really shown any interest in wanting to see Joker. 

I expect we will see the Jumanji sequel at Christmas time.

I'll be seeing Rocketman with my best friend. I'll probably get to 2-3 others over the last half of the year beyond what has been mentioned. it isn't helping that my daughter is getting married this fall, as that takes both alot of time and alot of money.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

It's the P&A that can make them unprofitable.  

Avg wide release of low/mid budget horror still starts around $30-35m. 

Book-Smart probably less than that though especially with United Artists doing the releasing but independent wide release is still around $20m

Just release a film like that in  a limited run in theaters and then sell it to Netflix and you at least walk away with a profit and get your film seen by millions of more people then what they do now.