The Hunger Games

100 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Hunger Games

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Shaky-cam in a film like this feels totally wrong. With the Appalachian setting for D12 and the wilderness aspect of the Games, I was hoping for a cinematography/editing use in the vein of The Last of the Mohicans (which also filmed in Appalachian North Carolina (depicting the New York Adirondacks)).

For me only part of it was the shaky cam, the other part was the fast editing. They edited back and forth between different shots of the same person, which adds no real effect except to take you out of the movie. They should be striving for the longest takes they can get without ruining the flow of the movie, not cutting 7 takes into 1 10 second shot.

• Like 1

For me only part of it was the shaky cam, the other part was the fast editing. They edited back and forth between different shots of the same person, which adds no real effect except to take you out of the movie. They should be striving for the longest takes they can get without ruining the flow of the movie, not cutting 7 takes into 1 10 second shot.

Yes, I really question that choice as well, for the non-action scenes. As an editor, I wonder if their hand was forced in some way. It's always hard to tell whether editing is saving or ruining a scene unless you see the dailies.
  • Like 1

This must be another one of those films where the book is so much better. I can't really say i enjoyed this all that much. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it per say.Keep in mind, I know nothing about the books or the story or anything. I truly went into this dumb deaf and blind to anything THG.Here are my problems with the film:1) What year is this? Why is the world like this? What happened to make it like this?2) Why does everyone dress in such vibrant colours and why is the facial hair on some of the main players so messed up?3) Harrelson tells Katniss and Peeta that water will be their friend. They were also told that many of them would die from starvation, infection and the elements. none of this came true. The games were supposed to be 3 and half weeks long and yet what we see amounts to about three days. 4) For a film about fighting to the finish, there was very little fighting after the initial drop point. Rue's death was ho hum cause i didn't know here and then there was the bee sting girl and the chick who got killed just as she was about to kill Katniss. I also wanted an explanation as to why the cool black guy didn't kill Katniss when he had to chance. 5) Like The Truman Show, the powers that be can control the elements. They created fire, fine. They also created CGI panthers that weren't real and yet they could kill. I have no idea how this would work in real life and it was not explained to me.6) I didn't really connect with any of the characters. I'm not sure why i should be rooting for Katniss and Peeta when the other participants would like to live as much as anyone else. I'm sure the book is much better but imo, they did a piss poor job of developing this for the screen. Very little action, not a lot of likable characters and a weak script imo. Battle Royale did it much better.6/10

• Like 1

The cool black guy said why he didn't kill Katniss; it was because she tried to help Rue and he was from Rue's district. The broad strokes of the backstory were also explained in the promotional video shown early on. I don't know if future books go into more detail, but they set up enough to make the story work. Agreed about some aspects of the game being minimized.

This must be another one of those films where the book is so much better. I can't really say i enjoyed this all that much. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it per say.

You should read the book. Some things are not explained very well in the movie. I didn't felt it because I already read the complete trilogy. Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Buttercup having only one second of screentime was proposterous. He plays a major role in establishing the difference between Katniss (practical survivalist, not too compassionate for anyone outside her family, huntress) and Prim (kind, compassionate to everyone, healer) which is why Katniss volunteering is so emotional and pivotal. It isn`t just that 12 years old girl going into arena is terrible but a girl like Prim who would die there one way (killed because she can`t kill) or other (learns the encessity of killing which kills Prim we knew). Prim has always brought the best in Katniss (hence sparing Buttercup at Prim`s pleading) so MJ ending with the reunion is especially poignant in that contex. Now there`s no context. :angry:

I thought there was no problem about spoilers here :lol:And we saw is death in this movie anyway.

Did that bowl of berries mean his death? Wasn't it just a threat?In CF, he's still the show runner- remember Peeta or Katniss makes a dummy of him hanging dead during the training? I honestly don't remember when/how he actually dies in the books though.

Did that bowl of berries mean his death? Wasn't it just a threat?In CF, he's still the show runner- remember Peeta or Katniss makes a dummy of him hanging dead during the training? I honestly don't remember when/how he actually dies in the books though.

I have to read the books again...

Buttercup having only one second of screentime was proposterous. He plays a major role in establishing the difference between Katniss (practical survivalist, not too compassionate for anyone outside her family, huntress) and Prim (kind, compassionate to everyone, healer) which is why Katniss volunteering is so emotional and pivotal. It isn`t just that 12 years old girl going into arena is terrible but a girl like Prim who would die there one way (killed because she can`t kill) or other (learns the encessity of killing which kills Prim we knew). Prim has always brought the best in Katniss (hence sparing Buttercup at Prim`s pleading) so MJ ending with the reunion is especially poignant in that contex. Now there`s no context. :angry:

It really pissed me off only have Buttercup showed once.
  • Like 1

Actually pretty average movie. Especially after all this hype and people praising it so much I was quite underwhelmed. Jennifer Lawrence was star of the show indeed. The fight for survival and all were hardly intense and it gets lost somewhere. To an extent so much that I liked the first hour of the movie more than the last. Will rate it 6-6.5 as of now.

I thought the first half of the movie was perfectly done and I LOVED it, but when the games started I think it started running into some problems. Some areas it seemed to drag on for too long. Spending 10 minutes on the little girl's death was total overkill and almost all the romance fell flat because that dude couldn't act for shit in the intimate scenes(Jennifer Lawrence was fine). Also, I don't care what anyone says, but the PG-13 clearly held this movie back a bit once the games started.B+

Edited by Shpongle

I don't really get your complaints B. It's sci fi- does the mutations and fire creation need a logical explanation? Why does it matter how they style their hair? Again, I'm not sure that needs an explanation. It's just the way it is in the Capital.

Of course it needs an explanation. Look, my opinion of the film doesn't matter. This was made for the fans, but for those of us who have no knowledge of the books, these are the kinds of questions that might come up.