100 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Hunger Games

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The Hunger Games - Movie Review

For this film to be good, it has to be able to stand on its own. Away from the books. You can't say, "Oh well in the books, it explains thisthisthis and so it's better in the movie if you look at it that way..." No. It has to support itself as a film to be remembered.

So does it? I'll get to that.

I'll mention that I'm going to focus on STORY here, rather than other things. I will say the acting's great, the special effects are passable, and the score's okay too.

The build up is fantastic. It presents this world. It's wholly interesting, I want to know more about it, about the people in each district, why the Capitol delights in parading kids in for a giant reality tv show. The pageantry of the whole thing, the preparing for the games... It's brutal, it's real, it's emotional at parts, it's above all... immersive.

Once the Games actually start, instead of action involving kids fighting kids, we got Katniss scraping by and trying to survive. That's for a reason. The movie's not about the games as a show of brutal killings, in a sense, it's about how these 74th annual games change the direction for the country. The kids are no longer pawns for the capitol to control their people. What takes place on screen is the spark that's needed for the country. For revolt, for war, for espionage, and what have you.

The movie's powerful in that sense. It totally feels like just the first chapter in something huge. Something epic. I look forward to the next two (or is it three?) installments painting a more detailed picture of this dystopia and the unrest that takes place in the future. In that way, I think it does stand on its own, away from the novel its based on. It's not only a grand introductory adventure, but a tease of what's to come.

My one qualm about the movie, is the fact the Hunger Games didn't feel epic enough for a movie with that title. I know what it all meant, but for newcomers to this world, make the conditions more evident in the arena. Make the terrain harsh. Make it seem like they're in there for months. It's a small thing, but that's it.

But overall, I was immersed, I was entertained, and I was moved. So, Final Grade. A- or 9/10 or a "Marry it."

So... Spoilers!

One thing I wanted to mention. Something people seem to be upset with is Rue's death. Rue dying was a big part, and didn't hit home with me UNTIL they cut to District 11 revolting. It hit home there because I realized, this is much bigger than the Games themselves, it's about this nation realizing something.

After the Credits! Nothing. There's enough that took place beforehand.

Edited by hogwash13777
  • Like 1

The Hunger Games2:25 PMAbout 60% full, mostly people in there 20s-50s+.Trailers:Titanic 3DThe AvengersDark Shadows: Looks pretty funny I will admit. Tons of laughs.What to do When Expecting: Looks meh. tons of laughs though.Snow White: Well looks better.BD2: Blah. Worse line in that terrible teaser. Movie: Was pretty good. Jennifer Lawrence is very pretty imo, she has a natrual real beauty missing from Hollywood or just any actress anymore. Hutcherson is really good as well. Though I think Woody should get nominated for supporting. The score was great. That little Black girl was good in her role, and to my knowledge I believe she was the only teen in it. Sutherland was pretty good too. Great sets. Though the movie overall did not feel like it needs a sequel. (Though the evil games still do remain...)A-

• Like 1

During my second viewing I had chills all throughout Rue's death and the subsuquent scenes. It's rare for me to have an emotional reaction more than once for the same movie. Listening to JNH's score on its own really made it memorable while watching a second time.

Very blah IMO It clearly was made to please the fans when certain scenes ( that I imagine are very popular with the fans of the book ) took way more than they should have The build up towards the games was pretty great but when games finally started ... lets me just say that the marketing department actually did the best thing with a no show of the games Actors did a pretty good job but cinematography sucked balls and the beginning of the movie is more frenetic that the entire Bourne Ultimatum even though it doesn't contain any action ... much like the film itself Characters are also not very likable or maybe they weren't translated that well to the screen ... Kato or what's his name is who's supposed to be a bad guy got the most sympathy out of me in that final scene of his and was the only one that got to me ... that was the best scene in the movie btw not some cute little black girl dying just so people can take out their tissues Also no social commentary whatsoever and in a movie that revolves around a bunch of kids killing each other to entertain masses that's really odd Idk I just don't see what the fuss is about 4/10

• Like 2

They made Cato a lot more human than he was in the books.Now that I've read the books, I question a lot of the decisions taken with the film.If they made Cato more human, there should've been more development of Gale, Haymitch and Peeta too, given that all it took for Cato was that little scene at the end.I still am not a fan of the handheld cam, what was the point pre-Reaping? It was distracting.I think like the first Harry Potter they tried to be too faithful. I didn't see a vision in the movie and for what it represents there should've been a strong one.

Felt it was slightly overrated.It was good & I enjoyed it...I'd give it 8/10.Will do a detailed write up later.In part I enjoyed it less as this HORRIBLE WOMAN & her friends kept talking and spoiling each scene. "Oh that's when she shoots the apple"..."oh oh she dies now"...."Ahhh the part with the tracker jackers...yess"....seriously why couldn't they just SHUT UP.They talked all the way through & in one of the bits said, "The movie should just stop so that we can chat comfortably"...THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU IN A MOVIE THEATRE WOMAN??? I almost had a coronary when she said that.I don't usually get angry but that really ruined parts of the movie for me. (especially distracting in the games)I just moved away from them and sat somewhere else eventually. Not confident enough to tell them to shut up :(Anyway 8/10Jennifer Lawrence was superb.Music was evocative and used well imo.Hutcherson was decentThe ceaser flickerman bits were great.District 11 scene was excellentIn terms of what I didn't like so much, I felt some parts didn't flow well. The shaky cam was annoying. Some more in depth exploration of certain things would've been better.In many parts to me it seemed like the movie was getting to an "excellent" point but every time it kind of fell short of it. It just gave me that feeling many times.I'll probably have to see it again...

Edited by darthdevidem01

Finally got around to seeing this.

First, let me say that the scenes that happened prior to the games were the best, in my opinion. The sharp juxtaposition of the poor District 12 and the lavish Capitol were a bit overwhelming at first, but it was interesting. The cast was pretty great, especially Lawrence, and I liked how we got to see a glimpse of the training of other tributes. The big thing I liked was how it continually built up suspense at the drawing and the moments before the games. I would have liked to see more insight into the other districts, though.

The actual games were good, but there was a fair share of problems. I feel like the relationship between Katniss and Rue was too underplayed, leaving their emotional scene to be a bit underwhelming. The shaky cam worked well at the very beginning of the games, but it was pretty distracting elsewhere. The pace of the games also got kind of slow near the end, too. Still, there were enough moments of intensity to keep me interested.

The Build-Up: A-

The Games: B-

B/B+

• Like 1

Anyone else really like the Tracker Jacker scene? That might be the most "thrilling" moment in the movie... I love the hallucinations including Caeser and when Peeta is yelling at Katniss to run.

Yes, that is my favorite part.

While it is not a very bad movie, it is not a decent one either.

This movie is the poster child for blandness.

Acting- Wooden but for JL

Action - Awful

Script - Pedestrian

Pacing - Yikes

The action seems more exciting when described by Woody regarding punishing elements aka cold, water shortage etc. The actual games are laughable at best.

The movie's mega success is achieved how? A deal with the devil akin to James Cameron. That is the only sane explantation as to how a poorly made.movie could be such a mega hit.

Rating: C

Wow, the themes section on the movie's Wikipedia page is an interesting read.http://en.wikipedia....8film%29#ThemesFor a movie that people like baumer claimed lacked any depth it sure has elicited some pretty strong and complex analysis from a lot of different people. I don't see a big themes section on any of the Twilight's movie's pages ;):P

Edited by MovieMan89

It held up well after a third viewing I must say. Whatever flaws there are I can look past and it's still very enjoyable. The countdown in particular I thought wouldn't have the same impact but it's damn intense. I'm bumping it back to the top of my 2012 list.A