baumer

Baumer's 15 best of 2019 (mid-season list)......3) Alita 2) End Game 1)???? pg 3 Tawasal's list starts page 3

3 hours ago, baumer said:

3) Alita:  Battle Angel

Starring:  Rosa Salzzr, Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Connelly

Directed by Robert Rodriguez and written by God

Box office:  85.7 mill

I'll be honest, when I went into to cinema to watch this movie I was expecting to be underwhelmed.. I had seen a little bit of the trailer and it did not really "speak" to me and Alita's eyes were off putting. When the movie had begun I was actually searching for things to dislike but surprisingly there were none. I quickly got used to Alita's eyes and they became in fact likeable. The story began to draw me in and I got completely absorbed into the story and the visuals.

The world is extraordinary and beautiful and the action scenes in this movie are fantastic, quite honestly some of the best I have seen. The story is a bit fast paced but not to a degree that it feels rushed. Alita as a character is great, she is kind-hearted, innocent, naive and protective. Throughout the movie Alita grows as a person and learns about sacrifice, loss, love and the horrors of the human mind. Alita is very likeable because she is such a good person in such a horrible world and you can't help feeling very sympathetic for an innocent being like her as she is exposed to the cruel world of Iron City.

When I left the theatre I realized it was one of my favourite movies of the last few years.  It did everything right for me.

@Morieris  

There's more story to tell here, and I really want to see it, because I had a blast with this. Like, 80% of a blast.

Right. We're going to have a long talk about this, preferably over a few drinks if all goes to plan. 

• Haha 1

#1) Long Shot

Starring:  Seth Rogen, Charlize Theron, O'Shea Jackson

Directed by Jonathan Levine

Box office:  Not nearly enough

They don't make movies like this anymore and the reason they don't is because no one goes to see them anymore.  And that is really unfortunate because this is one of the best rom-coms I've ever seen.  It's got a 90's feel to it and it make no secret that it borrows from Pretty Woman.  So far, this is the only film I have given a perfect score to this year.

Long Shot tells the story of Fred Flarsky (Seth Rogen). Fred who is a journalist, happens to meet his childhood crush, Charlotte Field (Charlize Theron), after many years. Charlotte is one of the most influential & powerful women in the world. She decides she wants to run for the next presidential election & hires Fred to write her speeches. They reconnect & develop feelings towards each other.

Long Shot is a laugh-out-loud/feel-good/realistic film. Director Jonathan Levine perfectly portrays the common truth that opposites attract & looks don't matter, when it comes to making a lasting connection with someone. This movie feels like the present day adult comedy version of Notting Hill(1999). It is not at all predictable & though it follows the general rules of your standard rom-com, it takes the highly twisty route to get to the end & keeps the audience guessing throughout. The comedic & the emotional set pieces, have been wonderfully balanced throughout. The natural & super adorable chemistry between the two leads, is what makes Long Shot unforgettable. Charlize Theron is spectacular as Charlotte Field. Seth Rogen is mind-blowing as Fred Flarsky. Theron & Rogen light the screen on fire, in all their scenes together. June Diane Raphael is awesome as Maggie Millikin. O'Shea Jackson Jr. is amazing as Lance. Ravi Patel is brilliant as Tom. Bob Odenkirk is hysterical as President Chambers. Andy Serkis is perfect as Parker Wembley. The supporting cast is superb. Long Shot is a must watch for rom-com/adult comedy fans & fans of Charlize Theron & Seth Rogen. It goes off into some pretty dark and twisted territory but for me it all works.  This is unequivically the best film of the year so far.

@Jonwo Very funny and it's a good mix of romcom with political satire.

@Ethan Hunt  Shit is real good

@DAJK I echo @baumer's sentiment. Saw this a few weeks ago but haven't posted in here yet. One of the best rom coms I've ever seen. Halfway through the movie I realized I was incredibly invested in the romance, which made me realize just how well-written these characters are. The movie's also hilarious.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2019 at 1:52 PM, baumer said:

Columbiana

:gold:

Repeat after me: is ColOmbia with an O. in English and in Spanish but even more so when you are attempting to write in Spanish 

(I'm sorry but this is waaaaaaaaay to jarring. I can live seeing Columbia, not Columbiana, God ) 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

:gold:

Repeat after me: is ColOmbia with an O. in English and in Spanish but even more so when you are attempting to write in Spanish 

(I'm sorry but this is waaaaaaaaay to jarring. I can live seeing Columbia, not Columbiana, God ) 

Hahahaha...wow, Lighten up Francis.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 11:58 PM, baumer said:

Yep, it is good to be a mod at times.  Even though we have to deal with a lot of the tomfoolery of some of you yo-yo's, we do get to pin our own threads.  So I am using the mod powers to pin my mid season list.  I'll get this started later tonight and I'll have it finished by Sunday.

This list will encompass films right up until July 2nd.  So it is possible that FFH and or Midsommar might make the list.

As always, my taste in films seems to differ a lot from the norm, so it should be fun, to say the least,.

power high quality GIF

#11) SHAZAM 2019

superpowers GIF by SHAZAM! Movie

It seems like another iteration of BIG from 1988, just this time with a kid with superpowers. The movie, like 'Big' has lots of charm, warmth and heart - and not least humor, which has really been in short supply in DC's superhero films. Most of DC movies have been dark and suffer a 3rd act bloated with too much CGI. Shazam feels like it's well balanced and is in the same vein of another movie from 2018 I liked Bumblee. Billy's super powers seem real and it is entertaining to follow him as he learns to fly, shoot with lightning and resist gunshots. 

The scenes are taken in turn by Zachary Levi and Asher Angel in the role of teen-billy. Zachary is awesome as always, but the big surprise is teen Billy kid is awesome. 

The bad guy wasn't so memorable. 

7.5/10

Edited by tawasal
  • Like 1

#10 BOOKSMART

driving high school GIF by Booksmart

I just got to say that Kaitlin Delivered here alongside Beanie. I remember her perfect teen performance in Short Term 12 where she played at first a rebellious character, but as the film progressing shows her awesome range. In this she plays a character who throughout the High School, the focus has been on good grades rather than prioritizing social and wild party life. After they figured out that quiet and study focused years in the high school was not the only way into prestigious schools. They go out for their only and last wild night before going for the summer breaks.

Booksmart is a refreshingly fun and entertaining movie. Despite the fact that the film's action resembles something you have seen before (SUPERBAD), you are nevertheless caught by its honesty and you are cheering on the protagonist's' journey through the film.

7.75/10

Edited by tawasal
  • Like 1

#9) AVENGER'S ENDGAME

do you trust me captain america GIF

The film slower is than other films in the universe in the beginning. I think it makes sense and I like the movie being slower than in the other movies. I would have liked it, if it didn't get so chaotic in the last battle/third act. And I have to say that this is the perfect ending to a 10-year story. The plot is easy to follow as the film explains it really well. The figures are, as you know them, a little more human than the last movie (Infinity War).

Avengers Endgame is a good, but also long film. However, I do not think it was too long for me because I was not sitting at any time and bored. For the GA and millennials, sitting for 3 hours immersed in a movie, I think is a bit on the top for them and you MUST have seen the other Avengers or MCU movies before jumping directly to this one. I was expecting a little more and therefore giving it "only" 8 stars out of 10.

8.0/10

• Like 1