Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

The Avengers5/4/12 12:01Regal Ithaca Mall 14Sold OutTrailersPrometheus - very good reaction, people are excited about this one.The Dictator - Had lots of laughsBattleship - it looks like a brainless popcorn movie but lots of people laughed at the name.The Dark Knight Rises - BEST REACTION EVER!! Everyone was dead silent and then when it was over everyone clapped.The Amazing Spiderman - Lets just say even though this trailer wasn't bad, it didn't get a good reaction. Then an guy yelled "well I guess we should clap for that too."Frankenweenie - decent reaction, lots of people were surprised when they saw that Disney logo.Brave - got laughs, but i'm sold on this movie.Movie Review (Quick Thoughts):The crowd (including me) loved this movie, it was great. Lots of laughs, people cheered & clapped during the movie. Edward Norton WHO??? Mark Ruffalo did a great job as The Hulk and I can't wait to see where they take his character. The perfect Avengers movie. This got a round of applause at the end.10/10

Edited by MovieGuyKyle17

Yeah, it was great and the best superhero movie to date.. Also, they didn't show TDKR trailer or TASM.. It was funny cause 2 people were dressed up as BATMAN and were laughed at after that happened.. TDKR really has nothing on the AVENGERS this summer.. It just doesn't and I was right all along about the AVENGERS being HUGE when I was laughed at 6 months ago prior to this and I'll be right about TDKR being a flounder..

I wouldn't say that, I never saw an audience like that shut up so quick when the TDKR trailer started. This should be just as big as Avengers. It will no doubt be very close in my opinion.

The Avengers. Midnight 4 May 2012

My local theater (town of 15,000) had 4 showings. I think it was two 2D and two 3D. I was in one of the 2D theaters and it appeared to be sold out. From the way they were assigning tickets on the way in I have to assume both 2D showings were full. Not sure about the 3D theaters.

The audience skewed VERY young. Teenagers made up at least 90% of the crowd. That surprised me a great deal. I noticed older people were arriving late so some may have got there too late to get a ticket. We were seated an hour before showtime and the place was 50% full at that point. Fun group though...many costumes. One guy painted green. Male to female ratio appeared to be about 60/40%. Hard to say for sure, but there seemed to be quite a few girls there.

Trailers were Spider-Man, Battleship, and Batman. The screen was screwed up for the Spidey trailer so no idea how that went over (one guy sprinted out to inform management to cheers from the crowd). Dead silence for Battleship and a couple of claps for Batman.

Fun movie. Very well paced once it got rolling. They had to set up some things at the beginning but no one seemed to mind. Lots of humor and maybe the best action of any super hero movie to date. I think the main characters made their best appearances in this movie (yes...even Iron Man). Black Widow is also done well. Applause at the end but most didn't stay for the extra scenes. I guess they had to get up early for school and just figured "we'll see it on YouTube". Overall one of my best ever movie theater experiences. The place was buzzing.

My new favorite Marvel movie by any studio. Still think Kick Ass and Watchmen remain in my #1 spot though. (Does Kick Ass count as Marvel?)

Film: Avengers Assemble

Time: 4:00pm

Crowd: 30-40 people

Trailers:

American Pie 4 - A few laughs

Safe - N/R

The Dictator - A few laughs

Brave - N/R

The Film:

Once again i let the overwhelmingly positive reviews of a films blind side me into thinking i was about to see something truly special. I didn't. The Avengers (Avengers Assemble in the UK) is the best marvel film to date, don't get me wrong. It has epic scale due to the sheer number of familiar characters and several big set pieces. The script is also in check with Tony Stark especially delivering a few lines of his trademark wit, with Downey JR in top form as usual. Unfortunately the film never really rises above an entertaining two hours though. It didn't have any sort of emotional impact on me as a viewer and i was never in the belief that anything unexpected was going to happen, the heroes were always going to save the day.

The film just doesn't have the sort of quality or thrills to even match Batman Begins, never mind The Dark Knight and i have absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Dark Knight Rises will be the film of the summer, leaving the Avengers in wake.

Overall the film is fun and light hearted and i would recommend it, especially to marvel or comic book fans but if you're not a fan boy don't expect anything too amazing, it's good but nothing more.

7/10

"Yeah, it was great and the best superhero movie to date.."

:rolleyes: In another world maybe, but here Batman Begins,TDK,X-Men 2 or Spiderman- 2 are better!

Overrated movie like Thor,Captain America,Iron Man.......

This might surprise you but not everyone has the same opinion. (Also I thought Thor, CA and IM were better then X2)
  • Like 5

Though I'm not sure I think Thor and CA were necessarily better than X2, X2 is one of the most overrated films.Bryan Singer is a boring director whose films on the surface seem to be intelligent but dig just a little deeper and it's all hollow.XMFC was disappointing for that reason, because Singer already presented his themes in X1 and X2 and didn't go deeper in XMFC despite already having experience with the franchise. Same surface bullshit.

The Avengers:Midnight 95% fullTrailers:Men in Black 3 - few laughsBattleship - chuckling/silenceThe Dark Knight Rises - dead silence during/excited chatter afterBrave - laughsFrankenweenie - silenceMovie: A-Best Marvel Studios film yet. Action/effects are top notch of course. I don't really understand the complaints about the middle section dragging. There was plenty of action throughout the entire movie, and when there wasn't Whedon used that time to develop each character's personality and how they relate to one another. Surprisingly there was even a little heart sprinkled in amongst the snark.

You could hear several "awws" when Coulson died. Great supporting character and something of an audience surrogate.

Speaking of, Whedon knows comedy. I lost count of how many one-liners were actually funny versus annoying. Downey Jr. does what he does best, Hemsworth brings that Shakespearean gravitas, and Johansson and Renner give fine performances despite having less to worth with than the rest. Best in show? You've heard it many times...Ruffalo. This guy should've been Banner from the beginning.

Two scenes that stand out: on the helicarrier when the team is bickering, Ruffalo does an excellent job showing "the other guy" just itching to get out. The other is the instantly iconic moment during the climax when he says "That's my secret...I'm always angry" and proceeds to pummel the incoming alien ship.

The Hulk steals the show indeed.Worst in show? My least favorite of the Marvel films is Captain America, so it's no surprise that Evans gives the worst performance in my opinion. Is he terrible? No. But he has a hard time doing the straight-laced, old-fashioned routine without coming across as wooden. It doesn't help that he's given the cheesiest lines. Which brings me to the negative: despite most of the dialogue being smart, witty, and natural, there are still quite a few moments of corn, cheese, and ham, and not the endearing kind (especially in the few scenes featuring the leader of the Chitauri, reminded me of the worst tendencies of the Star Wars prequels). This prevents The Avengers from truly transcending the genre. Nevertheless, it makes excellent use of the genre's usual paremeters and gives us a truly epic climax where everybody shines. Oh, and Hiddleston is great once again.The end credits scenes?

Wasn't a fan of the first one. As I mentioned the Chitauri king is annoying, and the big baddie they reveal wasn't exactly recognizable. The second end credits scene, however, was fucking hilarious. The whole gang sitting in a half-destroyed diner nom-nomming like they just came from a wild party and have the munchies.

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 1