Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

NEW

The Possession (1 screen, 6 showings)

Celest & Jesse Forever (1 screen, 6 showings)

Marvel's The Avengers (1 screen, 4 showings)

Lawless (1 screen, 5 showings)

HOLDOVERS

Premium Rush (1 screen, 6 showings)

2016: Obama's America (1 screen, 6 showings)

The Expendables 2 (1 screen, 6 showings)

Sparkle (1 screen, 6 showings)

The Bourne Legacy (1 screen, 4 showings)

The Campaign (1 screen, 7 showings)

The Dark Knight Rises (1 screen, 4 showings)

The Dark Knight Rises: The IMAX Experience (1 screen, 4 showings)

SHARED SCREENS

The Oogieloves In The Big Baloon Adventure/The Expendables 2 (4 showings/2 showings)

Brave/The Possession (1 showings/5 showings)

Brave/The Apparition (1 showing/6 showings)

Ice Age: Continental Drift/Hit & Run (1 showing/4 showings)

The Odd Life Of Timothy Green/Marvel's The Avengers (5 showings/1 shwoing)

ParaNorman 2D/3D/Lawless (4 showings/2 showings/1 showing)

Hope Springs/The Bourne Legacy (5 showings/1 showing)

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days/Total Recall (2 showings/3 showings)

LEAVING

Ted (10 weeks)

Paranorman (3D)Wed 7pm , 10 people including us :)Trailers for CGI films ... MAD3, Zambeziathe film: Really nice, but sadly DOA here. Stop-motion is fighting an uphill battle and Laika has not even Aardman's kind of brand bonus (Coraline didn't do that well either). The 3D was superb, 2D was not offered.

Double ReportDark Knight Rises in IMAXCinemark Tinseltown USA and IMAX Rochester, NY4:45pm Saturday 9/1/12$12.00 - 28 people- holds 275No TrailersThis was my second time in Imax and I enjoyed it more then I did the first time. I also traveled more then 3 hours for this theater. Premium Rush Regal Ithaca Mall 1410:30pm Saturday 9/1/12$10.50 - 7 people This film had a great cartoon vibe to it that made me really like this movie. Props go to Michael Shannon as well for stealing every scene hes in.

Expendables 2Monday 8:15, 200 in a 500 seaterTrailers: A.Lincoln Vampire Hunter (don't expect anything for this), Skyfall (ok trailer), SchutzengelThe film:Audience loved it, should see some nice drops, WOM sure to be good.Very funny film, highly recommended although I have to warn you: it contains some mild swearing so it might not be suitable to the religiously inclined and kids in the pre-school age.

CARIBBEAN CINEMAS MEGAPLEX 79.30pmEXPENDABLES 2movie was great entertainment i mean they don't waste a second diving into non-stop action! there were some great lines and the guest-stars were awesome , when chuck norris appeared we cheared, arnold had the best line "we belong in a museum too" LMAO it really was a genius idea to get all these guys together, was the chinese woman from crouching tiger hidden dragon? she looked familiar, jean-claude van damme was a blast from the past! the young guy couldnt place him until at an angle i recognized him as chris hemsworth, by the credits i found out i had the wrong brother :)seriously though the gore is off the chart ,heads were flying so fast , you hardly could blink!an 8/10 it delivers as promise and well i like the concept, heck i even wondered if chuck norris wasnt dead already(happy he isnt) so great nostalgia factor!

• Like 2

Upcoming films I've see trailers for:ArgoTaken 2The HobbitWreck it RalphDreddEnd of WatchHotel TranslvaniaFrankenweenieSkyfallBreaking Dawn 2Despicable Me 2Monsters UJack the Giant KillerGI Joe 2Last StandIron FistDjangoLooperAlex CrossJack ReacherLife of PiRise of the GuardiansGreat Gatsby

Edited by Impact

Trouble With The Curve

The Campaign - 8/10/12

Hotel Transylvania

Brave - 7/13/12

ParaNorman - 8/18/12

Frankenweenie

Dark Shadows - 5/12/12

The Pirates! Band Of Misfits - 5/17/12

The Avengers - 6/17/12

ParaNorman - 8/18/12

Here Comes The Boom

The Campaign - 8/10/12

Argo

The Dark Knight Rises - 7/21/12

The Campaign - 8/10/12

Fun Size

The Campaign - 8/10/12

Wreck-It Ralph

Brave - 7/13/12

Life Of Pi

The Campaign - 8/10/12

ParaNorman - 8/18/12

The Silver Linings Playbook

The Campagn - 8/10/12

Rise Of The Guardians

ParaNorman - 8/18/12

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The Adventures Of Tintin - 1/2/12

Brave - 7/13/12

Jack Reacher

This Is 40

The Five Year Engagement - 4/28/12

Gangster Squad

Dark Shadows - 5/12/12

Oz: The Great & Powerful

G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Jeff Who Lives At Home - 4/7/12

The Dictator - 5/17/12

The Avengers - 5/19/12

Man Of Steel

Monsters University

Brave - 7/13/12

Anchorman 2

The Dictator - 5/17/12

Ted - 7/7/12

The Master

7:05

About 75% full in a 118-seater

Trailers

Cloud Atlas

Killing Them Softly

The Sessions

Silver Linings Playbook

Les Miserables

With The Master, Paul Thomas Anderson has crafted something that fits in perfectly with the rest of his extremely impressive filmography: brilliantly acted, gorgeously shot, and so deeply thematic and artistically inclined that it's bound to fall under the designation of "not for everyone." But for viewers who are already on board with Anderson's style, it's another must-see, as it is as fiercely compelling and stimulating as his previous work. When the subject matter was first announced, I worried that Anderson might fall into the trap of covering the same ground as the religiously-focused sections in There Will Be Blood. However, while the film is interested in the dark potential hidden within religious cults (and the parallels with Scientology aren't subtle), it seems to use the cult as a lens through which it can examine the even broader theme of the strong manipulating the weak; while the former do it under the guise of helping the latter, their good intentions ultimately cannot stop the weak from becoming weaker, and find themselves weakened in the process. Given the inherent challenge in playing a passive, empty protagonist, Joaquin Phoenix does a marvelous job. Moments where the audience can latch onto Phoenix's character are few and come mostly - if not entirely - in flashbacks, yet he approaches the role with such conviction that it's tough to look away when he's onscreen. Phoenix appears to believe in this character all the way, and does not shy away from any of the myriad unsympathetic qualities he possesses. He's broken, he's angry, he has channeled his lack of satisfaction with his life into alcohol and casual sex, and he is so deprived of positive interpersonal contact that it becomes easy to see where he could be the target of a master manipulator. Filling the role of that master manipulator, Philip Seymour Hoffman turns in another terrific performance. Hoffman is commanding when interacting with large groups of his character's followers, but human and seemingly compassionate enough around Phoenix to sell the idea that he could hold sway over him. And while Amy Adams gets less screen time than I expected, she makes the most of her limited time with a performance that successfully defies audience expectations and serves as a further reminder of her range. There's so much to unpack within The Master that a paragraph - or even quite a few paragraphs - isn't enough to do justice to how much it leaves the audience to ponder. Like Anderson's other work, it's a difficult film that demands the attention and careful thought of its audience; and like those other films, it's one that can greatly reward the viewers who engage themselves with it. One of the best movies of the year to date. A

To put it mildly, the audience reaction was quite interesting. There was some scoffing at some of the sources Phoenix's character used for alcohol, some voiced "huh"s during some scenes that admittedly made the timeline seem confusing at first, a combination of genuine and nervous laughter during a lengthy scene with plenty of full-frontal nudity, and even more "huh"s when the credits began. I heard some of the audience raving about it on the way out, while I heard others talk about how they couldn't get around how strange it was.

The theater appeared to be doing decent but unspectacular business. Trouble with the Curve had good showings based on the audiences exiting the 200-seat auditorium before The Master began and about the same time it ended. I peaked in at an XD showing of Dredd at 5:20 that appeared to have 50-60 people in it (despite the fact that XD is basically a bastardization of multiplex/mini-IMAX). It also looked like House at the End of the Street got a decent crowd based on the number of teenagers leaving around the same time several other movies got out, but I overheard a few complaining loudly about that movie.

• Like 1

The Master

7:05

About 75% full in a 118-seater

Trailers

Cloud Atlas

Killing Them Softly

The Sessions

Silver Linings Playbook

Les Miserables

With The Master, Paul Thomas Anderson has crafted something that fits in perfectly with the rest of his extremely impressive filmography: brilliantly acted, gorgeously shot, and so deeply thematic and artistically inclined that it's bound to fall under the designation of "not for everyone." But for viewers who are already on board with Anderson's style, it's another must-see, as it is as fiercely compelling and stimulating as his previous work. When the subject matter was first announced, I worried that Anderson might fall into the trap of covering the same ground as the religiously-focused sections in There Will Be Blood. However, while the film is interested in the dark potential hidden within religious cults (and the parallels with Scientology aren't subtle), it seems to use the cult as a lens through which it can examine the even broader theme of the strong manipulating the weak; while the former do it under the guise of helping the latter, their good intentions ultimately cannot stop the weak from becoming weaker, and find themselves weakened in the process. Given the inherent challenge in playing a passive, empty protagonist, Joaquin Phoenix does a marvelous job. Moments where the audience can latch onto Phoenix's character are few and come mostly - if not entirely - in flashbacks, yet he approaches the role with such conviction that it's tough to look away when he's onscreen. Phoenix appears to believe in this character all the way, and does not shy away from any of the myriad unsympathetic qualities he possesses. He's broken, he's angry, he has channeled his lack of satisfaction with his life into alcohol and casual sex, and he is so deprived of positive interpersonal contact that it becomes easy to see where he could be the target of a master manipulator. Filling the role of that master manipulator, Philip Seymour Hoffman turns in another terrific performance. Hoffman is commanding when interacting with large groups of his character's followers, but human and seemingly compassionate enough around Phoenix to sell the idea that he could hold sway over him. And while Amy Adams gets less screen time than I expected, she makes the most of her limited time with a performance that successfully defies audience expectations and serves as a further reminder of her range. There's so much to unpack within The Master that a paragraph - or even quite a few paragraphs - isn't enough to do justice to how much it leaves the audience to ponder. Like Anderson's other work, it's a difficult film that demands the attention and careful thought of its audience; and like those other films, it's one that can greatly reward the viewers who engage themselves with it. One of the best movies of the year to date. A

To put it mildly, the audience reaction was quite interesting. There was some scoffing at some of the sources Phoenix's character used for alcohol, some voiced "huh"s during some scenes that admittedly made the timeline seem confusing at first, a combination of genuine and nervous laughter during a lengthy scene with plenty of full-frontal nudity, and even more "huh"s when the credits began. I heard some of the audience raving about it on the way out, while I heard others talk about how they couldn't get around how strange it was.

The theater appeared to be doing decent but unspectacular business. Trouble with the Curve had good showings based on the audiences exiting the 200-seat auditorium before The Master began and about the same time it ended. I peaked in at an XD showing of Dredd at 5:20 that appeared to have 50-60 people in it (despite the fact that XD is basically a bastardization of multiplex/mini-IMAX). It also looked like House at the End of the Street got a decent crowd based on the number of teenagers leaving around the same time several other movies got out, but I overheard a few complaining loudly about that movie.

Agree with pretty much everything there. I think Phoenix will be hard to beat for Best Actor. His performance was towering. Hoffman and Adams were great too, but Phoenix's performance was a career best for him and on par with Day-Lewis is There Will be Blood
  • Like 1